1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teens...Any out teachers at your school.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AmiBee, Aug 24, 2013.

1. AmiBee

Anyone know any out teachers at your school? Do you think it's a good thing? Helpful? Or would you rather them not draw any attention to it?
    Just curious because I teach 13-14 year olds (8th grade in the US). I certainly dont make any big announcement, but I have had students ask if I'm gay and I say yes. Or more often they will notice my wedding ring and ask about my husband. I tell them that I have a wife. Has not seemed to be a big deal at my school.
    Just curious what you think as I start a new school year.

2. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are a few but people usually don't care after the initial knowledge is let out. Actually the ones that aren't out but "seem gay" have more whispers about them but not alot at all.

3. Stripe101

In my school? Bah! The parents would find some way to get rid of him.
    but that's just where I live

4. kresukun

When I was at school there was one lesbian Physical Education teacher. I'm sure there could have been more but I was never one to ask. :slight_smile:

5. eatsleepclimb

I am from massachusetts as well and there are a lot!

6. Djinn

I had an out lesbian principal at my high school, as well as a lesbian science teacher.

7. ItalianBlueEyes

Never in my experience has a teacher been out to us--which makes me sad, since, personally, I would have so much more admiration and respect for a teacher who I knew to be gay! :thumbsup:

I just started freshman year of high school, in a very liberal part of California where homosexuality is very widely accepted, but very rarely seen. 8th grade is when I and... well, all of my LGBT friends were begining to question our sexuality. I know that having a lesbian teacher who I could've looked up to and who could've been a role model would have been so, so helpful. Apart from our relatives, teachers are the adults we feel most comfortable with. To see a teacher be proudly and confidently gay makes it seem that much more "normal," to kids straight & otherwise.

No need to draw attention to it... But I know that if one of my teachers had a pride flag up in her classroom, or a lovely framed photo of her with her wife, I'd notice. :slight_smile:

8. There's three LGBT staff at my school. One of them is a gay spanish teacher. His sexuality is very well known due to his "style". Also even though he never tells people until National Coming Out day, everyone knows after 3 days of having him.

Another one is a lesbian Advanced Placement Literature teacher. She's one of the activist types and she's the adviser of the GSA at my school.

The last one is a bisexual school counselor. Not a lot of people know about it because she never tells but she's out to everyone unless they don't ask.

I think it's a very good thing because the kids struggling with their sexual/gender identity would have an LGBT adult figure at school.

9. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes, there is one obvious gay teacher at my school, and one of my old teachers from 8th grade is obviously gay too, anyway, everybody assumes they're gay, but only a few people actually know it because some students have come out to him. One of them switched from teaching English 1 to English 2, so I get him again this year! He was pretty cool, so I guess I can come out to him and now see him on a daily basis for support if I get stressed the fuck out like I used to do.

I honestly believe both of them were in a relationship, or still are, because last year, my 8th grade speech teacher taught at the highschool, but he moved back to the middle school and became an assistant principal, but anyway, their rooms were right next to eachother and every now and then one would walk into the other's room and they'd talk, I mean, anybody who had half decent gaydar could tell there was something between them. For god's sake they even carpooled together!

10. Northern

No, at least none that are out. I think because of the school I go to, perhaps it would be not the best idea for a teacher seeing as the students can be cruel to teachers, I think more than we are to each other.

11. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not yet, though this one teacher had to explain that he was straight and happily married becuase he always wore the ring on his right hand and hung out with this really quirky guy. It was a very funny class that period XD

No, im at an extremely liberal school, but i dont think we would be ready for one because i live in a super conservative area (we have to sensor the lyrics to musicals and we still get complains :rolle:slight_smile:

12. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I have a psychology teacher whom frequently hints homosexuality, using gay relationships as examples for certain discussions over chapters in class. There was one example in particular where he hypothetically placed himself in a same-sex relationship, which raised some eyebrows. I'd at least assume he's bisexual, if not completely gay, but I wouldn't dare ask.

If he is, which is highly likely, that's great. He's an intellectual and intriguing man, perhaps my favourite teacher, and he could easily debunk any arguments with students regarding stereotypes or assumptions about the gay community. It would be awesome to witness that.

I believe it's a positive thing for a teacher to be open about their sexual orientation (or perhaps gender identity) because it at least gives students a "safe place" and helps with knowing they aren't alone at all if they happen to be struggling with anything related to their sexuality/gender. It also helps with awareness, in a sense. Setting an example that it's perfectly okay to be out, and still be a regular person in society.

#12 Oddish, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013
  13. SurprisingDanny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There is one maths teacher who is gay, but I don't know any others. He was my form-class master in 2011

14. I don't know of any from high school, but there was a trade instructor at the Job Corps I went to who was bisexual, and when I was there he had a boyfriend.

15. DatChickBassist

Out Status:
    All but family
    There's actually a lesbian couple that teaches at my old high school.

16. Alexander69

In private school I never knew of any but when I was kicked out and went to a public school there were a few actually

17. AmiBee

Thanks for the feedback to my OP. Sounds like my feeling that it is positive for GLBT teens to have some out teachers at school is correct. I'll continue to come out to my students when they ask. I also like the suggestion of having a photo of my wife on my desk. I already have photos of my son so I should include my wife too. I definitely want any LGBTQ students to feel safe and welcome in my room.

18. Hiems

Some teachers from my high school were out to their students, and the response has been either positive or apathetic. The latter is more apparent with regard to out professors at my university. Not caring is certainly better than being openly hateful, so I have hope for our generation.

19. Holly

There's a reasonably out lesbian PE teacher, but there's never been a problem. One of m old history teachers we saw out in town once and he was with his boyfriend, and struggled identifying him to us. He resulted with 'my guy-friend'. Bless him :slight_smile: apparently he outed himself by accident to his GovPol class, which is sweet :slight_smile:

20. Bowtiesandstuff

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There's an out lesbian teacher currently on maternity leave who I haven't met yet but the year 12's all say she is awesome and are really jealous I might get her as a teacher next year. I think she teaches science.