1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are animals attracted to other animals?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by person57, Aug 25, 2013.

1. person57

Since human are attracted to other human, are animals attracted to other animals?

2. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I'd say so.

Animals are mostly too dumb to know that sex causes children. So the only reason they do it is because it feels good. (Or they're being tricked or forced - human sexual morality doesn't always apply to animals.)

Of course, attraction in many animal species works differently from humans. Pair-bonding is rare, and many animals only feel sexual desire at certain times of the month or year or when exposed to certain stimuli (eg the smell of a receptive female). What they like about a mating partner is very species-specific - in fact, it has to be to prevent them trying to mate with another species.

For one random example, with most duck species, female ducks are genetically programmed to like certain patterns of coloration, which are present in their species of males. In contrast, the males' preference is determined by upbringing - they look for a female who looks like mom did. Hilarity and awkwardness ensue if you swap eggs between nests of different species, since the male will chase after his foster mom's species and ignore the females of his own species chasing after him.

Male turtles are quite vocal about enjoying sex:

Turtles Mating funny - YouTube

3. endear

My mom had a gay duck. He would only have sex with other male ducks.

4. Stephany

I read that over 1500 species of animals display homosexual behaviors. And that some species are purely bisexual in nature. Yes, sometimes it can be a sign of dominance, or social status etc.. but some species bond and pair up with same sex partners. I'd consider that an attraction of sorts.

5. Data

Data Guest

I think some of the higher IQ animals can be in love. Most "breed" but some smart animals like dolphins and chimps could conceivably love another of their kind. I won't deny the possibility of it. Love is odd.

6. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The only problem is that some species have their own genders besides male/female since that is primarily a mammal thing.

7. Prima

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nope, animals are attracted to plants.