1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need A Little Help

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sanjuandude, Aug 25, 2013.

1. sanjuandude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This may be difficult to explain but I will try. I was in a relationship for over 12 years, which ended about 9 months ago. To this very moment, I have never recovered. I am able to go to work, but that's about it. Not a friend nearby, but a couple a significant distance away in New Mexico, Wyoming, Missouri, and Louisiana. I am looking to relocate from Florida, where I now am (Cocoa). I detest Florida, always have, always will. Can anyone try to recommend what and/or where I should go to next. The state that I seem to have always been the happiest in is New Mexico and in some ways wish that I could go back there. What I am asking for, I guess, is advice on what I should do next. I am a 46 year old gay male.

2. Lunarchy

You could try going international, living in a different country. That is what I've done, and so far it has been working very well for me, turns out the change in culture and location was just what I needed. You could try living in Canada. British Columbia is a very liberal province, and is pretty warm, even hot in the summers, despite what some people believe. Kelowna and Vancouver get to about 85-110°F Although Calgary Alberta, and St John's newfoundland, are where the work is, they are a bit cooler, (Calgary Summer Avg: 75 °F Winter Avg: 27 °F St John's is more varied, from about 20 °F in winter, to 85 in summer)

That's Canada, can't say much about any other states since I havn't really been to the states, but I hope I could at least have been of some help ^)^

3. AKTodd

I guess I'd suggest making a list of what you detest about Florida, another about the things you like most or are looking for in a place (perhaps using NM as a guide), and then another related to what you do for a living and where you can (or can't) do it. If you do something that you can basically do anywhere in the country/on the planet, brownie points for you. You might also want to look at things like cost of living, climate, proximity to mountains/water/big cities/the LGBT community/whatever.

You might structure this list as columns on a spreadsheet or something. Then start considering different places, learn about them in connection to the elements on your list and see which areas end up with the most pros and least cons.

That process will probably give you a list of 3-5 possibles. Then its a matter of choosing between them, either based on the importance of the factors in your list(s) or maybe just what feels best or most right.

Hope this helps,

Todd