1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kinda pathetic

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RoguesWolfe, Aug 25, 2013.

1. RoguesWolfe

Ok so there's this girl I really like and I want to write her a poem. I said I would the last time I texted her but...I just go blank. I've never been good at poetry, I'm more of a story writer. So, does anyone have any tips?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Get inspiration from simple things. Stories are complicated beasts, and usually require lots of planning. Poems should flow from the heart, and the only brain input necessary should be arranging those feelings into a pleasing form.

What stirs feelings in you? What are those feelings specifically? How/why does the source stir them? Write about the answers. :slight_smile:

3. RoguesWolfe

Looks like this is going to be a long night then haha, I've got so much to say. But I'll keep that in mind thanks!

4. Data

Data Guest

Simple? Haiku!
    Complex? Spencerian sonnet!

I like to stick to iambic pentameter for poetry. It is the natural meter of English speech.

5. RoguesWolfe

Hmm a Haiku would be fun, just need to look up the basics. Ok so she may be getting a lot of poems if I can find the right words and such. I may make this into a thing, with every letter I send she gets a poem if I can get good at it.

6. Data

Data Guest

A Haiku is very, very simple. There is a structure, but it's very simple.

A sonnet would be impressive to receive. At least, I would be impressed. Some people appreciate hard work more then others. I would appreciate the hard work put into writing a sonnet because I have done it many times and sometimes you just CAN'T get the right words to line up into the meter.

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    RSwordsman has provided you with a couple of good questions you can start with. If you wanted to, you could start with writing out the answers to the questions, without defining the form of it. Might make it a bit easier. :slight_smile:

8. RoguesWolfe

That's probably what I'm going to do, I forgot how hard this was for me. I know I had problems in school..but I also know it takes practice like anything else.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wrote a few Shakespearean (abab cdcd efef gg rhyme scheme) sonnets. I'll have to dig them out in some zombie-ish form (they were written on Myspace back in ye olden days and killed with a blog update :eek:slight_smile: but I love them. :grin:

#9 Argentwing, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  10. RoguesWolfe

You should! And by the way writing the answers things start to come together. And I've realized I am extremely dorky, basically saying we are a match like the companion and Doctor Who XD.

11. Data

Data Guest

Whenever we were told to write a sonnet in English (and once asked to write a poem in Turkish!) I opted to write some weird pattern just to be different. My friend said once "Dude, your poem's all wrong. Your lines aren't following the pattern." I told him I was writing a Spencer style sonnet to be different and he just rolled his eyes! :grin:

Really, I would love anything given to me that required THOUGHT and hard work to create. Like I think I might die if I had a boyfriend who made me a duct tape wallet. It's it the sincere thought that counts. Really, any poem you create is going to be sincere thought all the way down to its core, and that is the gift you are giving. Even if it's not a good poem, it still means a lot.

I also agree, writing about what you're passionate about (answering the questions above) is way easier then sitting down and trying to cram words into the poem.

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sonnets are a bit too rigid for some expression, but they were sort of a staple of Elizabethan courtship -- concise, formulaic, yet often really beautiful because of it. The form comes pretty easily to me, so much that I have trouble doing anything else :S

But hey, if your thoughts can't be bound by that sort of style, screw it XD what you have to say is more important than what freshman English teachers have to say regarding your emotions. RoguesWolfe, I will try to rewrite what I remember if it gives you ideas, but in the meantime I'm glad my advice is actually working somewhat lol.

13. RoguesWolfe

Yes I am glad your advice is helping as well. I have some of my answers for now. Now it's just getting it well structured. So here's a bit of what I have, by the way I sucked horribly in English, but I am trying.

You and I are a pair. We fit together like pieces in a puzzle. The companion to my Doctor Who, the star ship to my intergalactic police force. You are beautiful, unique, so many words I could use to describe you, but there are not enough in the universe. You say I make you feel humming birds? You make me feel as if I were flying high into the sky. You will always be my Yuki, as I your Suichi. You are dorky just like me, with out you just who would I be? The fun, the excitement, the things we share together, it's not like anything I've experienced before. Every time I see you I stumble over words and make myself look a fool. But then you surprise me by accepting me just the way I am.

Yeah....I'm not really sure what it is anymore XD. But it's a start..I suppose.