1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Children and awkward sex questions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Adi, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Here's what happened 10 minutes ago:

So I'm in my room, in front of my PC, checking my e-mail and stuff. My 9-year-old sister is in the living room, watching an extremely inappropriate soap opera on TV.

As I log on YouTube to watch funny Ellen vids, my sister barges into the room:

Sis: Quick! Google 'virgin'! What does it mean?

Me: (long pause) It's a company owned by Richard Branson.

She looks at me awkwardly and leaves.

Did I handle that well? Anyone have any similar funny stories?

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I don't see why you couldn't have just told her. If she's old enough to ask, she's old enough to know.

3. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Kid hears someone say a word, asks what it is. Happens all the time. Doesn't have anything to do with maturity. Plus, I'd have to explain sex before I could explain virginity. Also, she's not my kid, and don't want to get in trouble with her parents (who are also my parents :grin:).

4. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (In the car, with parents and little sister.)
    sis: Can boys marry boys and girls marry girls?
    mum: hmmmm... *akwardness*
    me: Yes, in some countries they can. :slight_smile:
    dad: Don't tell this kind of things to your sister, she's only a child *starts homophobic monologue about homosexuality and people marrying animals without thinking that my little sister was hearing :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:*

5. Hexagon

Sex shouldn't be hidden from children. It may be awkward to explain things, but you should do it anyway.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't pretend sex doesn't exist. It's something almost everyone likes, and she'll almost certainly have sex. Sex isn't something to be shame. If a child asks about sex, I'm willing to tell them, although I know they won't be likely to understand.

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was watching the news one morning, and in Detroit, a guy had shot a gas station clerk to death in an argument over the price of a box of condoms. Now my brother, even though he's 13, still hasn't the slightest clue as to what sex is and how humans reproduce. I'll chalk that up to his diminished maturity level because of his disorders. But he asked me, "What are condoms?" and when I wouldn't tell him, he threatened to look it up in the dictionary.

8. AKTodd

In my family we don't believe in shielding children from much of anything, sexual or otherwise (it just turns out to be a waste of time anyway). I don't remember much of any sort of sex talk from either parent growing up, but there was a book titled 'Show Me' that my little sister got from her parents and that I also read. Plus there were Playboys and Penthouses around the house. And I'm sure that any questions I did ask were answered honestly and clinically.

By the time Sex Ed hit in junior high, I learned virtually nothing new.

Todd

9. Colours

I see parents who avoid answering questions like your sister's all the time. I never understand why they can't just answer them. I mean it's the reality. Just be honest with them. Just because they're a kid doesn't mean they can't know where babies come from and what the term is for someone who hasn't had sex, for example?

Not to say you were wrong in making up some fake answer, but what if she tells their friends at school tomorrow and they laugh at her because it's bullshit? Idk, she will found out some day.

10. AmiBee

Reminds me of a question my 8 year old son asked this summer. We were at a movie theater and he saw an ad for We're the Millers that referred to the teenage guy as a virgin. My son asked what a virgin is. I just said that it's someone who hasn't had sex yet. He was like ok and that was it. Of course, we had already had the basic what is sex talk so that was taken care of

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What did your sex talk go like as a kid? I never had one growing up. I had gotten my hands on some medical books when I was about 8, and I had already learned everything else by high school when we had the big class, and so my parents never gave me "the talk." In fact, I don't think I've ever heard my dad say the word "sex."

12. Last year, my nephew visited me and he quickly asked me,"What's ovaries?" This was back before he watches the puberty video. I just ended up telling him that ovaries are chicken eggs (kinda close right?). Now that I think about it, it was pretty stupid and I should have said,"You should ask your mom."

13. Naren

Don't you just love this? It's like the best thing in the world that our children be protected from us dirty gay people. Grr. [Sarcasm/]

14. RocketMoose27

A sex talk? I got the full blast when I was about 7 or 8 one day when I was playing my Super Nintendo. :dry:
    My Mom just ranted about how girls have their monthly problems, how pregnancy works, what STDs are, and loads of other(unnecessary) stuff that kind of shocked and horrified me until I found out it was a talk that I would have got later in life anyways.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    I can't tell my younger cousins anything without getting in trouble so I tell them to go ask their parents, the facial expression their parents make when one of my younger cousins whispers the question into their ear is golden! :roflmao:

#14 RocketMoose27, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  15. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still make fun of the bizarre ways of having sex I heard about on the playground as a kid.

16. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    WELLLL, in my defence, she didn't specify what virgin she was talking about. There really is a company called Virgin, owned by Richard Branson. :grin: Also, she is 9, and the oldest in her class. Do 8-9 year olds talk about sex and virginity these days? Don't remember that happening when I was in 3rd grade. :S

---------- Post added 27th Aug 2013 at 01:35 PM ----------

Sex talk? Ha ha ha ha ha ha. That's a good one. I doubt many parents in Romania talk to their kids about sex. The general attitude is: "they'll probably figure it out on their own". Even at school we were told about puberty and given one of those "your body is changing brochures" when we were in the 11th grade (about 17 years old). Thanks, Romanian schools, for telling me what wet dreams were when I was 17, and not when I was 11 and thought I was peeing in my sleep.

17. Hexagon

I had the sex talk online. Well, that was where I learnt about uh, sex, anyway. The thing with my parents was just like mummy+daddy=baby. Nothing about pleasure, or gay people, contraception, STDs or anything like that. I felt horribly ignorant for a long time. Everyone my age knew seemingly everything about this topic, and I was frantically trying to pretend I did so as not to get mocked.

If I have kids, I'll answer any questions honestly and non-evasively, and when the time seems right, I'll tell them about sex. Properly.

18. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please, give kids the information. It may save them (and possibly those they date) some embarrassment. My brother's high school girlfriend once asked him (in front of a bunch of EMTs) if his ovaries hurt. Adding to the embarassment of that question is that her mother is a nurse....

19. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Should have told her the truth, but I have to say your response was hilarious.

20. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is hilarious.