1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Judgement Day?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by darkestknight, May 20, 2008.

1. darkestknight

Ok, this is quite something to do with religion here, so I need some of your opinions here!

Do you believe in that? Explain why you believe/not believe in that?

For me... I don't really bother about it because I have my "now" to be taken care of. In short... I better think of living in the present because it's easier for me to do stuff ... "now". :grin:

2. TyraBanksIsFierce

What's judgement day?

Is it that thing off Terminator?

3. LOVEjames

Judgement Day is when God will come down and determine all men's fate based off of their sins and repentances.

And no, I don't believe in it, I think that whatever higher being is out there doesn't ever plan on physically visiting Earth. <3

4. TyraBanksIsFierce

Ohhh, lol i feel dumb now ><

5. Steam Giant

I was watching a program on the discovery channel that said that if we can't locate the five remaining crystal skulls by the current agreed-upon doomsday (december 21, 2012) and place all 13 in formation, the world will end! Oh noes!

Judgment Day, for me, is no different from all those other doomsday predictions. People of prior generations were threatened with this cataclysmic event, and surprise, it never happened.

This is one of humanity's oldest obsessions, the idea that everything we know can come to an end in an instant. The Judgement Day as it was described in the bible was not a new concept. Christianity didn't invent the idea of doomsday, and just as they weren't the first to predict it, they certainly weren't the last.

Now granted, I'm an atheist, so naturally I tend to disbelieve acts of God, but in this case, I'm calling the idea of Judgment Day, Ragnarok, Armageddon, whatever you decide to call it, a product of humanity's combined culture.

6. davo-man

Nope I don't believe in it personally. I'm agnostic, so I'm totally sure who or what created us (or if we were indeed created or just randomly thrown together...I'm kina partian to the latter) and with this belief I think we just need to live our lives the best way that we can. I don't think something is going to judge us one day based on our actions

7. darkestknight

Yes - I found that kind of thing from the game Assassin's Creed, the ending part. The scriptures in the lab are telling many stuff here, including the date 2012 thing and the skulls. also, there are chinese inscriptions said that "we are writing our own future" and something like "we are what we think".

Well, humans write their own future. if they choose to destroy each other, so be it, the whole universe will explode!

If they choose to live in peace, well, the world will be a nicer place to stay! :grin:

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally don't believe in it, no.

Lex

9. darkestknight

We should live in the present. Much easier for everyone to breathe.

But why the organized religion in olden days often telling that this gonna happen so??

10. Alexander

I don't know if I believe in a "judgement day" per-se, but I know if we don't do something soon, we're going to cause our own destruction through environmental and social degradation (i.e. nuclear war, deforestation, overpopulation, etc...)

#10 Alexander, May 20, 2008
    Last edited: May 20, 2008
  11. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, I have a complete lack of concern for any judgments and trials religion throws at me. I've already discarded religion as a product of weakness and superstition, and without a God or Heaven or Hell, I don't think any sort of Judgment Day holds much ground.

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I don't believe in any kind of judgment. The worse kind of judgement is what we hold against ourselves. Like if we feel guilt about something we did to somebody else, a wrong we committed or something like that. We can fix it by making it right. There is nobody standing at the pearly gates with a huge gavel ready cast us into the fiery depths of hell for our wordly sins. That is all created by man. At least that is what I believe to be true.

13. Jim1454

I don't believe in judgement day either. Live for today. Focus on today.

14. Trumpetplyer23

I don't believe in judgement day myself, for two reasons. One, if you worry yourself to death about judgement day, you can't live life the way you should, happy. Two, if God/Allah/Buddha/etc. wanted us to know when judgement day was, we'd all be born with the knowledge of it.

15. lostinthought9

I don't believe there is a Judgement Day, BUT I do believe that when you die, you get judged, and your afterlife is then decided...so I guess you can say that everyone will have their own judgement day......

16. Steam Giant

Totally agreed. Human development, culture and society are not as out of control as they may seem. Our path was chosen by the majority, in accordance with the will of humanity. Our nature as humans, and the traits we all share, are responsible for the world being what it is today. It might not have been a conscious decision or vote, but we have always been in control of these completely intangible forces, just by being what we are - humans. It takes a will to dream of something that's within our grasp and research it, it takes a purposeful effort to build, exploit, make war.

But while I'd say that the capacity for violence and self-destruction are inherent in (I hate saying "all" in this respect) most of humanity, I don't think these are what fuel our obsession with cataclysmic doomsday events, at least not on their own. For whatever reason, as a species we're fascinated with the idea, and it's stuck with us almost since the birth of civilization.