1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"God Doesn't Hate Homosexuals; He Hates Homosexuality"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by biguy14, Aug 26, 2013.

1. biguy14

Out Status:
    Some people
    ...I'm sorry, what?

I get sick of this argument. How exactly does that make any logical sense whatsoever? It's absolutely irritating hearing people claim this and say that they're not homophobic. Um...just, just what?

By this logic, God doesn't hate any orientation, but God's just okay with one orientation engaging in intimacy and physical acts with each other. Look, I'm going to level with everyone. I'm not an atheist. What I believe definitely does not go along with mainstream Christianity. I do believe in logic and reason, and I do hold spiritual beliefs.

But this argument pisses me off. I honestly wonder if people who believe it stop and think about how stupid it really sounds.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

2. Niko

This is a thing? I've never heard of this argument before.

3. biguy14

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. I have actually heard this from people.

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I'm an atheist and have to agree. I've even heard many of these same people up and say something along the lines of "God made you gay but gay sex is sinful and you should control those shameful urges."

You mean he gives you a sex drive, the capacity to love, and expects you to die alone all the same? That would make God a real dick, don't you think?

Man. Can't the homophobes make up some new arguments once in a while and at least attempt some hilarious seamblelance at intelligence?

5. RainyViolinist

I know right? If God truly was our "Creator", why would he even create homosexuality to only make it a sin? Why would he want to put such a burden on us, like, it doesn't make any sense. Us LGBT+ folk are condemned to hell for circumstances beyond our control? If this is the case, God is one sick bastard.

6. kresukun

I swear Pope Francis said something like this about a month or two ago.

7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Never? "Love the sinner, hate the sin" is a pretty common talking point among Catholics, some Evangelicals, and Mormons.

Usually this precept is extrapolated to say that it's okay to be gay, but gay people just can't act on their homosexuality. Which basically means, gay people are supposed to never have sex, never fall in love, just die celibate and alone. Which is a pretty cruel condemnation to sentence upon someone, depriving gay people of normal human social interactions that every heterosexual takes for granted. But they think they are being oh-so-loving with this doctrine.

8. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I used to believe that. Made sense a the time. How could i possibly understand how they felt (how i actually felt the whole time) ?

The basic philosophy behind Christianity (primarily) is that God loves the sinner, not the sin. But since i am gay, and gay affirming, my old arguments were just dumb and silly. The thing about the gay debate is that it is very easy to say, "you are twisting God's words, God is very clear." But when you look at the fact that the bible was written in 3 ancient languages, translated, retranslated, for the most part written by human beings, inspired by God or not, a deeper look into the word is necessary. That God is clear, but our own evolving languages arent. When someone really looks at all the evidence, the 6 "proof verses" that say "God hates fags" are null and undefined.

But again, even though there are countless arguments against the traditional viewpoint, Christian Conservatives like to abruptly say "blasphemy" and walk away (omg just like the Pharisees, Sadducees, and Rabbi's in the New Testament :O ) So, yeah, I hate it too.

9. biguy14

Out Status:
    Some people
    I sometimes wonder if homosexuality is one of God's forms of population control. From what I know, the Earth can only support 20 billion people at one time. If everyone was heterosexual and had children, I think we'd see our population spike a lot faster than it is now.

Personally, whatever God is I believe has got to be much more intelligent and much more rational than any human being could ever be.

And we need to remember that these people usually believe that the Earth was created 6000 years ago and Satan put dinosaur bones in the Earth to test people's faith. So, ya know.

10. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Actually i believe this to an extent. Before the flood, when everyone lived to be in several hundreds, there was an estimated 11 BILLION people on the planet, maybe more since there weren't large oceans. That happened in about a thousand and a half years. Perhaps homosexuality is a population control. Maybe revelation needs a a bit more time :icon_wink

I mean, if those dirty immoral heterosexuals stopped having so many babies... :tears:
    (kidding)

11. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How to argue against "Hate the sin, love the sinner":

Suppose the shoe was on the other foot. Suppose you were in the minority. Suppose what you wanted to do was to have churches and sacraments and Bibles and prayers, and those in power said to you: “We hate that. We hate what you do. We will do all in our power to stop you from doing what you do. But we love you. We love what you are. We love Christians, we just hate Christianity. We love worshippers; we just hate worship. And we’re going to put every possible pressure on you to feel ashamed about worshipping and make you repent of your sin of worshiping. But we love you. We affirm your being. We just reject your doing.” Tell me, how would that make you feel? Would you accept their
    distinction?

I get the feeling most christians who oppose/hate gay people have never once in their life read Romans 2:1.

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They somehow think that either everyone is straight and gay people have sex just to spite God, or that we're naturally gay, but they're doing us a favour by "saving" us.

Either way, they're hateful, stupid, and brainwashed.

13. JessicaWolfess

"fags deserve to burn in hell but i can say this because i have a gay friend/its just my opinion" and then its backed up by thousands of other asshole because as we all know its just their fucking opinion

14. hardhearts

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yep. Heard this in high school. The nun that taught my theology class gave a pretty long speech about how God loves homosexuals, and being homosexual isn't a sin, but acting on it is. So homosexuals are just given a burden to bear like the rest of the world, only that their burden is to resist temptation to engage in homosexual acts. So basically it's cool if you're gay, just don't date anyone or have gay sex or get married or live your life.

Yeah. I suppose it's easy for her to say, since she took a vow of chastity.

#14 hardhearts, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's the idea that homosexuality was not created by God and is of the devil, but we should not be unduly punished for "falling victim" to it. Needless to say it's still an argument that requires religious belief and has no bearing on a secular society.

16. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

To be honest this is actually the argument I've heard from Christians in person more than any other: that homosexuals are absolutely NOT condemned to hell by default, but homosexual ACTS are sinful. Which to me is still utter insanity, but a bit more tolerable than the idea that one is condemned for one's innate orientation.

#16 Miles16, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2013
  17. blueberrymuffin

This "love the sinner hate the sin" is too funny. Do they think they're going to win us over like that? Do they really think it will stop anyone from living freely? Maybe a tiny fraction. If anything, it drives people away from the church, especially the younger generation. No one I know goes to church regularly.

18. Ohhai

It's so easy for them to say...

19. MJM09

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    We discussed this in religion class today at school. We started a new unit about contemporary challenges to the church and talked about what certain beliefs envision for society. Under one of the beliefs, it had listed inclusivity and one on my class members asked about homosexuals. My teacher went on to say exactly that and that because Jesus never said anything relating to homosexuality, the laws of the Old Testament were upheld, which state that it is a sin.

I had only come across this idea a couple of times earlier this year, and I can't get my head around it. Why would God be accepting of homosexuals if homosexuality is a sin? Why should we have to apologize for living our lives just like our heterosexual friends? It baffles me, but it's not going to stop me from living a perfectly normal life.

20. DatChickBassist

Out Status:
    All but family
    It's a book that's over 2000 years old it's pretty damn unreliable if you ask me