1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't Stop until were Equal

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by coreyl13, Aug 27, 2013.

1. coreyl13

Did you know you can legally be fired from your job solely based sexual orientation?
    In my state it is legal to be fired for being gay however a state/government employee is protected.

jobs but state employees are protected

You can also LEGALLY be discriminated againts for housing based on sexual orientation.

You cannot jointly foster or adopt children.

If you have legal custody of a child and something happens to you your partner has NO legal rights to the child.

You cannot get married

Its time to fight for change. We are closer than EVER before we can do this.

What do you do to show your support?
    If you wrote a letter to your rep. What would it say?
    Does this upset you? Encourage you to fight for change?

I urge you to write your state representatives and senetors keep sending the same letter once a week if needed. We DESERVE equality we are all humans.

We are a so called minority other minorities have acheived equal rights by law. We can do the same.

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Um.. That's kind of our goal... That's pretty much the point of this forum... so... yeah. Agreed. Don't stop til everyone's on equal footing.

3. Awkward Balloon

Over here, according to the Constitution all people are to be treated equal. So then why can't use homosexuals marry? :/
    But I completely agree, it really annoys me that no immediate action is being taken by the government to correct their archaic laws.

4. RoguesWolfe

Over here anyone can fire you for anything, even if they just don't like you. happened to me, but karma hit them when they accidentally paid me twice without knowing.

5. Ohhai

Everybody scream your heeeeart out

6. MijSo

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Not even close to being equal, if we're talking internationally here. Homosexuality is illegal in approximately 36% of the countries of the world. About 11(?) carry the death penalty. I really hope people from the more liberal countries can somehow reach to those countries soon.

7. coreyl13

This is based in America. However many countries are far worse off. If America can take a stand for equality maybe other countries will follow. The death penalty in some countries what horror.

8. blueberrymuffin

Well I'm also from this decidedly non-progressive state. Most of Michigan is medieval and ghetto as hell, but there's also about a dozen cities with laws protecting employment/housing. The thing about marriage/adoption is a deal breaker for me, after college anyway. I could tolerate living in those cities except for that.

There is a court case you should follow though, starting Oct 1. I think within 2-3 years we might find some justice, either thru this case, ballots, or SCOTUS. I don't think the MI legislature is remotely functioning to be able accomplish this. They should all be fired honestly. So what you can do? I'm not saying vote Dem, but we will *never* find equal rights with Repubs in office, and this state has proven so.

9. biguy14

Out Status:
    Some people
    This. 1000 times this. "...life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

10. coreyl13

I am fimiliar with the court case. The couple is fighting to joint adopt their three children. If I had the day off I'd be there outside the court. I don't think its dem rep my family is conservative but sway on lgbt issues. Our governor is more concerned about detroit and jobs which is understandable. This might be a good time to take a stand he may sign the bill and move back on what he's working at.