1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asians in the LGBT Community

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RainyViolinist, Aug 27, 2013.

1. RainyViolinist

Harro guys ^_^ (felt this greeting to be appropriate for the topic at hand)

Lately, I've been wondering about how Asian people are treated in our special little club. I have heard that us Asians are fetishized but not really relationship material. Is this true because I certainly do not want to be somebody's kinky way to get off. What do you guys think about this or about race in general inside of the LGBT community?

2. Gen

Gen

Asians and African Americans are easily the most fetishized groups in the LGBTQ community. Asians for being feminine and submissive. Blacks for being masculine and dominant.

Ultimately, these are all idiotic generalizations. You are who you are. You're racial background doesn't elude anything about your personality, or who you are as a person. There are those out there who will ignore these stigmas and accept you as you are. Just ignore the ones who don't.

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks. I about fell off my chair.

Are you asking this as to how Asians view each other, or how others, meaning non-Asians, view Asians? I live, and have lived, in cities with large Asian populations. There are several takes on this: a) non-Asian guys who dig Asian guys all the way to relationship status, b) non-Asian guys who dig Asian guys for trysts, and c) non-Asian guys who aren't that into them, on a sexual or relationship level, but would get along with them at work or at school. I've met very few people who are on the fence on this one. For that matter, I'd say the same holds true of straight non-Asians toward Asians of the opposite sex, such as the white guy who goes bonkers over Asian women.

---------- Post added 27th Aug 2013 at 02:56 PM ----------

Good call. There's that fetish, too.

4. AmityRanch

While I don't think I can answer your question, I think it's a really interesting one.
    I'd love to see some research done on how being LGBT affects other races, as well.
    Can't wait to see where this thread goes.

5. RainyViolinist

Was that intro bad? Sorry if it was :frowning2:. In answer to your question, I'm really looking for what both Asians and non-Asians think of the Asian LGBT community. I want to hear everyone's take on the matter.

#5 RainyViolinist, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That intro was GREAT! It shows you have a sense of humor. I can't answer for anyone other than people I've known or talked to, though.

7. RainyViolinist

Oh, ok I thought that I offended somebody which would not be very good! Sometimes it's hard to be politically correct all the time:lol:

8. aznboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hmm. Interesting question. I'm Asian, and I've tended to mostly go for other Asians (of either [any?] gender) as potential dating material. Part of it might be because of the years and years of hearing 'you will marry a nice Asian girl (preferably Chinese)'--which may/might still happen!--and maybe that somehow spread to my liking for guys as well?

The other thing is, for a non-fobby Asian, I have pretty Asian tastes in culture (pop and otherwise) and having a significant other to share that with is pretty important to me. Obviously, you don't have to be Asian to know this stuff, but it's obviously easier to find someone who is Asian and shares these interests.

9. RainyViolinist

Yeah, you're right about the whole "marry an Asian person" thing as my biggest crush so far has been on an Asian friend of mine. It's kind of like my Asian ideals kinda mixed with my sexuality, influencing who I fall for more often:lol:.

Asian culture is interesting to me too, well maybe learned (except for Paris by Night. That s:***:t is cheesy as hell). Its more likely you find an Asian with a taste for Asian culture than a non-Asian.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Asian, Pacific Islander and African Americans are discriminated against a lot in the queer community, and I recognize that.

I want to say as a white person that we don't all feel this way--that you're good for a fuck, but not a relationship. I'd happily get serious with an Asian person of any gender...

Ziester Adrian

11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think they're pretty awesome. Asia is far too diverse and large to reduce to a handful of convenient stereotypes. Culturally, I see many similarities between theirs and our own, so empathizing with their struggle in the LGBT community is a lot easier.

Uh, being a primarily indigenous Latin American is something like being caught between the Asian-American and African-American stereotypes: the whole exotic kink factor due to physical traits, and all the expectations that come from being a passionate, Latin Lover.
    I knew of a handful of LGBT Asians in high school and college and they seemed to get along with everyone for the most part.

12. I'm Chinese and Vietnamese. I feel that in the LGBT community, Asians are often remarked as feminine, weak, and submissive. If people think like that, they'll have a whole other thing coming at them when they see me.

13. RainyViolinist

Thanks, that really means a lot to me(*hug*).

It just puzzles me that as a minority, a substantial proportion of the LGBT community are able to discriminate against another minority. It's like they forget they themselves are a minority.:dry:

14. I gotta agree. It's hard being LGBT in life already. When you're being marginalized again, it's hard.

15. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is all about nichemanship. There's all sorts of discrimination in attraction, if that's what you want to call it. For those who like Asian men and the feeling is reciprocated, there is no discrimination in that instance. For those who like black men and the feeling is reciprocated, there is no discrimination in that instance. For those in those groups who like people outside their groups, and it is not reciprocated, then I think they would feel more rejected than discriminated against, no? Rejection and discrimination are different things sometimes. Among whites, a guy might like short, hairy, darker guys much more so than tall, smooth, blond guys. It's not a formula, so you can't make sense out of it. I was out one night and made a comment to someone I was talking to as I was looking around: "It seems like all the Vin Diesel-alikes go for the other Vin Diesel-alikes." He said "Yeah, I know what you mean!" They don't, and have never, looked my way, not that it matters. I seem to get interest from guys who, in one way or another, resemble me.

16. RainyViolinist

You're right, it's sometimes hard to draw a line between rejection and discrimination. This is one of the more sensitive subjects because you can't really call someone a racist just because they don't find you attractive or relationship material, but it becomes a totally different story when someone outright rejects a whole race of people without getting to know the individual first.

17. Naren

I dunno about in the community at large, but I love Asians. If I could find an Asian that wanted to date me I'd totally go for that.

18. srslywtf

Here in australia there a quite a few very open anti-asian people in terms of dating sites/etc...

Me, I love them just the same as everyone else... in fact I'm kinda jealous of the small-framed ones, I love how tiny they can be :slight_smile: also asian fashion/style.. wow. i mean i'm not into alot of it, but some of it is amazing! One of the few places where futurism is still alive and well.

19. SurprisingDanny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I live in Auckland which is the city with the highest proportion of people from Asian Descent outside of Asia. Our population is 22% Asian.

In Auckland there is a huge schism between the Pakeha majority population and other populations. Ethnic divides are huge.

In my school which is around half Asian descent, you can't deny how obvious the ethnic divides are. It's not even a linguistic barrier. Everyone speaks English, but people stick to their ethnic groups.

I don't know much about the LGBT community (which is nearly completely based around one big road in the city that leads eventually to a neighbourhood which was historically the gay neighbourhood.). so I can't say much about it.

I think there is just such a big culture gap between New Zealand Pakeha and Asians, probably even more so than in North America.

There are a few who can smoothly switch between their native culture and New Zealand culture but that's usually not the norm at least in the part of Auckland where I live

20. Meh! I live in Malaysia and I don't think there is any LGBT community here. As for the Asian LGBT community...I think it it those Asians living in the Western countries. Bad as it sounds, I sometimes do envy those Asians that are lucky enough to be so close to a visible LGBt community. And yeah, those Asians are also rather different than the Asians that are born and raised in countries like Malaysia or Indonesia. Talk about a minority among the minority. And wait until I speak Manglish, lol no one here would understand me. Asians in south East Asian countries are pretty much invisible...having a hard time to find others like me.:frowning2: