1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Older Parents?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChibiXio, Aug 27, 2013.

1. ChibiXio

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Since I was young, I always thought that everyones parents were getting grey hairs and not playing much with their children. So I told one of my friends about it. She looked at me funny and said "My daddy doesn't have grey hairs and he plays with us until we fall asleep."
    Now that I'm older I see that many parents are way younger than my parents. In fact, between me and my second youngest sister (I'm the baby of the family ^-^:wink: there is an eleven year age gap.
    But back to the point, I'm wondering how many other people have older parents around the fifty-ish age. Is it common or am I one of the few percentages with older parents?

2. Techno Kid

Well I'm 22 and my parents are in their late 50s-early 60s
    They were in their 30s when they adopted me. :slight_smile: ....I had that feeling growing up two though haha

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People are having kids later these days. This trend will continue.

I was born to somewhat older parents, but I'm the last kid. My dad was in his early 40s and my mom was in her late 30s.

The advantage is that they are more demonstrative and attached to their kids, from what I experienced, and the disadvantage is that they tire more easily and are nowhere near as up-to-date with what's going on, so you have to tell them "Well, kids today are doing this, and it's sort of the norm ... "

4. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

My parents had me in their early 30s, and now that I'm in my early 20s, my parents are in their mid/late 50s...I used to always ponder this issue, thinking it was perhaps selfish to have children later in life. Some people become parents in their late teens or early 20s (and I'm not just talking about unplanned pregnancies); the advantage there is that you get to spend more time with your parents, and you have them longer. As someone who greatly fears the thought of that day when loved ones die, I sometimes wish my parents had had me younger.

If your parents have you when they are 18, then even when you are 70 years old and old and grey yourself, you still have a decent chance of having your parents around for you in their late 80s.

The downside of that, of course, is that you too would be older, and you would not get to live as far into the future. If my parents had had me at 18 instead of 33, then I'd have been alive in the 70s, been a child of the 80s, and become an adult in the 90s. And today I'd be pushing 40 years old. I suppose technically I would have been in the same generation biologically, but society would probably have considered my a Generation-Xer instead of the Generation Y-er that I actually am.

Just my random philosophical musings on the subject....

5. Kenny207

I'm 17...my dad is approaching 59 this year. My mom is like 55...so yeah, I've sore been there...though wen I was much younger, my dad tried his best to play with us regardless how tired he was. and Ditto, I'm the babby of the family too...my two sisters are 11 and 10 years older then me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Matty1994

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm 18 and my Dad is over 50 and my mum is nearly 50, I put that down to me being an accident though, they never actually said it but I know it's true!

7. FightingShadows

My parents were young when they started having kids. I'm the youngest and I think my parents were about 28 when I came along. Most of my friends have old parents. I always knew mine were relatively young and I kind of liked that. Meant they'd be around longer :wink:

8. Jared

I'm an only child, 19 and my parents are 55 and 57, so they had me in their late 30s.

9. Cupcakeblake

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Im 15 and my dad is 62 and my mom is 56

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, but let's comment on the quality of the parenting. A person could have great older parents while another person could have shitty younger parents. Do you all like your older parents?

11. LinkLarkin

Yes, my mother was 37 when she had me - round about the oldest age biological children are recommended if you want to keep probabilities low for chromosomal disorders. It did bother me having slightly older parents for a little while when I was in high school, but I don't really think about it anymore. It's not such an issue now I'm (legally...) an adult myself.

12. blond

My oldest sister is 34 i'm 21 and the youngest.
    So 13 year's between the two of us.
    Both my parent's are 57 and i was born when they were in their mid-30's. So yeah i know what you are talking about.

#12 blond, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  13. SurprisingDanny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yeah my mother is in her 50s and my father is in his late 70s.

14. Falklands Sheep

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I was adopted when my parents were 46 and 47... Now I'm 18, my father's 65 and mother 64.

15. ToxicRat

I'm 16 and one of my parents is 49 and the other is mid-60s. It doesn't bother me at all.

16. timo

My dad was 40 when I was born, my mum was in her 30s. And I'm the oldest child – my sister is 4 years younger. I used to think my parents were old compared to other kids', but really it doesn't matter.

17. Average Joe

My parents were in their mid 30s when they had me, they're now in their late 50s. Sometimes I do wish they'd had me when they were a little younger. At the same time, I'm glad I was born the year I was born and not earlier, because things then weren't exactly going too smoothly in my country. So, I'm kind of torn. Regardless, my parents are both amazing people, they've worked hard to provide a good life for me, and I couldn't be more grateful for that. I just hope nothing changes once I've come out to them.

18. Emulator

Now that I think about it, that's probably what caused my chromosomes to be messed. :astonished: (My parents were in their late thirties when I was born.) Though my younger brother had nothing wrong with him...

I'm not really bothered by "older" parents. There are upsides and downsides of it.

-Emulator

19. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was born when my parents were 36 and 38. They're both in their fifties, but there was never much play when they were younger; it was mostly my brother and I who entertained ourselves.

20. ScatteredEarth

I was born when my parents were young-ish.. My sister was born when my parents were teens, and my brother was born when my parents started getting old.. lol I love the gaps :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: