1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Day one of college: done

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Aug 27, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Man today's been a whirlwind. I'm about to pass out, but it literally is the first day of the rest of my life. Let the healing begin!

2. Secretman

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great job, dude! I want to go to college, but with money and anxiety disorder... Sigh. Still, I'm happy for you.

3. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Hey, congrats on surviving the first day! College is a lot of work, but it can also be a lot of fun. Be sure to make the best of it, and not waste a moment!

My sister just started college today too....now I think back to my first day, and am reminded of how incredibly old I am! :eek:

4. letzdance109

letzdance109 Guest

Oh man, amazing job getting through it! How did it all go? I'm starting in about a month, and I'm a bit nervous about it...really nervous, who am I kidding lol!!!

Well, no matter what, you have a blast in college! Meet awesome people, do good in your classes, and have fun! (!)

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well this is the week where you fuck around with all their little games and activities, and just get settled in. After labor day is when this gets real.

6. letzdance109

letzdance109 Guest

Ah, that's what I'm going to be going through for a week before school, super nervous about all that, especially since I've never really been to an actual party or anything...hope you had fun though :grin:

7. biggayguy

There are some hard-a$$ professors that like to assign a paper on the first day. It's their way of saying "you're not in high school any more."

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That was your 1000th post, biguy. Congrats

9. monotone

I have an anxiety disorder, and I'm in college.

Can you get enough financial aid?

10. Bassplayer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congrats! My first day was last week, and I'm having a blast. What size college are you going to, population wise?

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agreed. The optimal experience depends on budgeting time to do the blah work and have fun. Meh, the blah work is not so blah. I got a lot out of it.

---------- Post added 27th Aug 2013 at 10:17 PM ----------

The idea of an orientation week is awesome. For a bigger school, it's an absolute must. Glad you've pulled through so far and are settling in.

12. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No kidding.

Had a professor at the start of spring term last year assign us a paper the first day of class. I didn't mind though because the class was really good, and he's an excellent professor.

Anyway, good luck AwesomeGaytheist. Work your ass off, and you'll do fine.

13. CupidBoy

CupidBoy Guest

Congrats, I just finished my second day here. :slight_smile:

14. Ohhai

Congrats! I remember my first day of uni so well :') It just gets easier from here xxx

15. srslywtf

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Right, in a way. Freshman year isn't so bad. It's more about figuring out where things are and how processes work. Then you've figured it out, and "sophomore slump" sets in, for some people. Then, junior year, you have to wake up, because the courses get more demanding, depending on the major. Then, senior year, you have this weird combination of "senioritis" and angst because you have to face the "real world," and that sense of community you felt every day is no longer there, even if you were a fly on the wall or a non-joiner type. At any rate, it's guaranteed to be a kick. I've got some college stories that my friends and I still die laughing over to this day.

17. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Orientation week is the best! I help out with it now that I am a junior and I still have a blast! Good luck getting settled in and starting school!

18. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The paper on the first day might not just be about "you're no longer in high school!" but also a way of trying to weed out part of the class.

Although the most memorable "make sure we use every minute" approach occurred in high school. My biology teacher had the charming habit of giving the final test of the year on the last day of school. While every other teacher had zero attendance that day, his class was usually packed.

19. Amerigo

my first day/week was awful. it rained cats and dogs and i met no-one. i ended up skipping the last 2 days to go on holiday. i never felt apart of university. hopefully this year things will be different :slight_smile:

20. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To a degree, orientation might be a good thing, period.

On some level, it may seem pointless doing things like tours of a campus. Most can figure things out with a map easily enough. Geography majors, in fact, might prefer doing it that way...

But orientation can help get people settled, and comfortable with the college.

When I started college, orientation was, as I recall, quite a bit shorter than a week. I skipped most events--I only showed up for the stuff I absolutely had to show up for, and at least one of those events was so pointless I was asking, "Why did they tell me I had to be here?!?"

From a view of learning the basics, I doubt I missed much by skipping orientation. I already knew the basic layout of the campus. What I didn't know I could learn fast enough.

But...one huge disadvantage was that I missed making connections with new people. And that might have been valuable. That fall was a pretty lonely time in my life, and maybe if I'd gone through orientation, things would have been different. Although...who can say for sure?