1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Imagining oneself doing something stupid/dangerous/damaging 's fear

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Straight ally, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    For example:

I'm dressed normaly near a pool, in a place full of people. I imagine myself jumping in the pool, and i get scared of that thought, like if the pool where pulling me.

I see my ipad, i imagine myself destroying it, and i get scared of that thought, kind of threatened (even thought i know i wont do it)

I see a policeman/profesor at my university/political figure/ a loved one/or just anyone, and i imagine punching their face for no reason or purpouse and the consequences of doing so, i get scared

Pulling my eyes out... Being at a third floor, jumping from it... Being in a conference or concert and yelling...

Etc etc

Why does this intrusive thoughts happen?

Note: they are mild, they are not recurrent, they dont really affect my daily life. I have never done any of this, never will. Is not something i should visit a psychiatrist for. It doesnt cause any concern in me...but it gmakes me curious...

im curious about why this happen, and if this happens to anybody. Give any example where this happens to you. I suspect this is one of those things that happen to everybody.

---------- Post added 28th Aug 2013 at 10:44 AM ----------

My theory is this is some sort of mechanism of the brain to detect threats/things you shouldnt do, and pointing them to me.

2. Ohhai

I get that. It's weird. No advice though sorry xxx

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Usually happens to me with heights or open car windows. I always imagine I'll drop something I'm holding out or over the edge even if there's no considerable chance of it happening.

But aah, the things I'd do if life had a quicksave feature. Just hit my imaginary F5, do something incredibly outrageous like you described, then reload when the consequences catch up with me. How much fun would that be? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Haha

Domt worry, im not asking for advice :lol:

Im asking if anybody have this happens to them and with what, or if they have any idea of why it happens.

---------- Post added 28th Aug 2013 at 11:26 AM ----------

Ah yes, it happens with objects too...

5. endear

For me I think its more about anxiety. I will get anxious about what if I do something stupid or what if I go crazy. Then I start thinking about stupid stuff I could do if I let go. Might be hurling groceries inside grocery store or run screaming in public place. It seems after I think about these bizarre actions I could have if I chose to then I feel more control of myself and less anxious.

6. eatsleepclimb

Once I was standing waiting at the subway alone, and the train started coming and I got all dizzy and for some crazy reason I was scared I was going to jump in front of it without thinking so I backed away really quickly. It freaked me out, and I had no idea why it happened. It's sort of similar, I guess.

7. RainyViolinist

This happens to me frequently, almost on a regular basis. Although I'm not suicidal, whenever I'm around knives or pointy objects, I imagine myself cutting into my arm or stabbing someone. This is only one example of the many harmful visions I've had over the years. I would never do any of these things though. Sometimes I do wonder if I need any help, but it doesn't really bother me. I think the reason behind my "visions",if you could call them that, stem from the fact that I can be very paranoid and always imagine the worst thing is going to happen, so my paranoia kind of blends into my thoughts, making me stay alert at all times. It is pretty strange though.

8. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to suffer from this. I was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I was prescribed Lexapro and whenever the thoughts came back, I'd be like, "Psh, that's stupid. I know I'm not going to do that." And eventually the thoughts rarely came back.

What OCD does is it takes some of the most bizarre things you can think of and it tries to convince you that you'll act on them. My OCD only got worse because I didn't think it was a big deal at first. But yours may not be too bad. You should only be concerned if your thoughts begin to interfere with your life.

9. Ohhai

When my son was a new born, I used to imagine myself dropping him down the stairs. Used to petrify me, I literally used to cling to him in case I somehow managed to drop him over the bannister. My GP said its a sign of anxiety.

10. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

I have this exact thing happen to me, OP. I think of it as a mental exercise in examining how close we really are at any given moment to having an insane string of events occur that could fundamentally alter how our day, week, or entire lifetime could play out.

11. RoguesWolfe

There have been times I have acted on the thoughts that I have. Not as bad as I used to be though. When I was younger my friend wondered what blood looked like under black light. So what did I do? I ran downstairs got a knife and cut my hand in one place three times because I was curious too. Have had scar from that one. Then I wondered how much force it would take to break a hand. So I had my friend slam a door on my hand as hard as they could a few times. Didn't break it. There are times now that I feel I'll jump off a building when I'm at the top, jump out of a moving car ( only done that one once), stab myself or someone else ( already tried that), or even just burn myself when I'm smoking. <--technically did that only once as a kid, we wanted to see who could keep in on their hand the longest, I won.