1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How important is this in todays world

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by leer, Aug 28, 2013.

1. leer

SO 50 years ago today Martin Luther King made a speech the kind of changed the world forever .I have never known such an event that changed so meany peoples lives not just in america but the whole world in every way possible.
    what impact do you think this event on our community in today's world .

am sorry if some of you are sick to the back teeth of this event 50 years on but I think this should be celebrated.
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5831&stc=1&d=1377716309

Attached Files:

• MLK.jpg
      MLK.jpg
      File size:
      7 KB
      Views:
  2. Ohhai

It's very important. It literally changed the world to some extent.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He built the standard by which all equality movements are based. We should not judge others by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. And he had a tremendous character, daring to fight hatred with love.

I obviously never knew the guy, but I miss him. We need him badly in this messed up world.

4. MijSo

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    If your the title was "How important is this in the US," then yeah, very important.

Otherwise, no1 curzzz.

5. leer

OK so why not anywhere else again

6. MijSo

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    He was an activist in the African-American movement. He's also considered an icon in american civil rights. A lot of non-Americans never heard of him. Actually, I would have never heard of him if it wasn't for Drawn Together, a satirical american animation show.

But regarding what he did in the US, I'd say what he did is great, I wouldn't mind celebrating it, of course. However, as far as being "important" to non-US nationals, doubt it. His influence didn't reach other countries as far as I know.

7. Amerigo

there have been so many great speeches and equality movements, that's why. there will always be discrimination in this world, it's in our blood to discriminate. i also see no use in idolising past events or people (people just love to get caught up in emotions). sure we can remember and learn from the good, but let's leave it at that. i'm more concerned about current legislation that has the potential to better out future rather than clapping/fapping over what happened 50 years ago.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get where you're coming from, but I shouldn't have to say that equality isn't a distinctly American problem. It's everywhere, and while his influence wasn't as widespread as some people like Nelson Mandela or Ghandi, I think anyone with prejudice can learn from him.

9. Ohhai

:s I'm from the UK and it means a lot to me too... Yeah, and I'm white. You may not care, doesn't mean no one else doesn't.

10. leer

see part of me thinks his views stood for treating everyone as an equal no matter what race. age. background or am I the only one who thinks of him in this way.

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't say we need him today. He detested LGBT and his sexism isn't very welcome either. Sure, he helped, but he mainly helped straight black men. That attitude goes for a lot of the people involved in any civil rights campaign.

12. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Sadly, a lot of these people who are idolized nowadays were bigots themselves in their own way. We LGBT people should strive not to make these mistakes and leave a faulty legacy (like Ghandi or MLK).

13. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should not judge the past by modern standards. The fact is a lot of honorable and decent people had flaws because of the kind of environment they grew up in. I think your claim is a minority viewpoint even among LGBT people and women.

Sexism in the Civil Rights Movement: A Discussion Guide | Teaching Tolerance

14. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    - Russia is constantly making laws that equate homosexuality to the worst possible crimes
    - So is the majority of Africa, if it hasn't happened already.
    - As well as the Caribbean.
    - There are still tons of people, both indoctrinated and indoctrinating, that say gays are against god, part of the Illuminati, etc. in the US, the UK, Australia, etc.
    - Beatings happen all over the world because of something harmless we can't control

I'd say today and especially here on EC, it's very relevant and very important. It's all about loving each other as human beings. It's all about not discriminating, not hating each other.

The world is still a scary place. It shouldn't be.

And let me say something here:

Everyone that has stood for equality and love, questioning "traditional" ideals and introducing new ones has been assassinated by hate, not only metaphorically, but also literally.

Abraham Lincoln
    Thomas Payne
    Mahatma Gandhi
    John Lennon
    John F. Kennedy
    Jesus Christ
    Martin Luther King Jr.
    Malcolm X
    19 innocents during the Salem Witch trials

I see something wrong with this. Do you?

#14 Jinkies, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  15. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, so, Thomas Jefferson?

16. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I commented about our old friend TJ on a Yahoo article regarding almost the same thing. He did own slaves (and lots of them) but we regard him as a great man for his contributions to advancing the world, not keeping it stuck in destructive ruts. Even progressive thinkers sometimes fall prey to the status quo because that's the only way it's done; others are unthinkable. I bet even pioneers of alternative energy drive internal combustion cars despite their polluting exhaust-- it's just too convenient not to.

17. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are you trying to slide the slippery slope? :wink: IMO, Thomas Jefferson was a good president and founding father despite being a slaveowner and fathering children with a slave.

18. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why must we all say a person is good or bad? Nobody is, because we're people. Martin Luther King, Thomas Jefferson, and Napoleon all did good things, but also did terrible things that are really inexcusable. I don't care what people say about "modern standards". These people had every opportunity to do good where they deliberately caused harm.

19. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I did not say a person is good, nor did I say they are bad. I specifically said Thomas Jefferson was a "good president and founding father." The use of good is meant as a comparison relative to other people in the same position.

You are trying to have it both ways by suggesting that you don't care about good/bad and yet diving headfirst into judging others for their failures. Moreover, the judgment is not persuasive because the definitions of "good" and "deliberate harm" are far from standardized. The last point about harm sounds like the intentional fallacy.

20. Californiacoast

So here is my question. Who is going to step up and be the modern day MLK for LGBT rights? Who is that one figure willing to risk their lives in Africa, Russia and Mississippi, today, NOW??? I pass the picture of Harvey Milk in the Castro of San Francisco all the time and think" why have no more dynamic leaders stepped up on a global scale? Thoughts?