1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only one that thinks this is wrong?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kresukun, Aug 28, 2013.

1. kresukun

I am reading up on Gay support groups in my area and found this and I am disgusted.

It should be obvious what part of it I don't like, and I don't think it is appropriate. I might be looking to far into it but it is not formal especially when giving advice.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on the professionalism of the support group, but I don't see it as such a big issue. Unless you're offended by the crudeness of the wording itself, it is advice about sex so is being read only by mature audiences already.

3. blond

It is a little blunt, and they could have said it better.

4. Pixiechic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I see what you mean by the wording, but I think I would be okay with that advice if someone have it to me :/ I don't think it's such a great idea not to use condoms though I'm not a pro on infections and stuff but I'm pretty sure you can get them easily from not using protection?

5. PyroSpark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't see what's wrong with this. Was it a group for kids or something?

6. kresukun

It was an advice/support website most likely for older people. I think my main issue was something like it was an informal response to a formal question. I was just probably being too picky but it was what I felt.

7. only sometimes

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    From thefreedictionary.com:

fuck (fk) Vulgar Slang
    v. fucked, fuckĀ·ing, fucks v.tr.
    1. To have sexual intercourse with.
    2. To take advantage of, betray, or cheat; victimize.
    3. Used in the imperative as a signal of angry dismissal.

To me, the second definition is inherent (or at least implied) in the word. Common usage reinforces that connotation. IMO public writing requires exceptionally inclusive word choice. Depending on the source I'd say discomfort is reasonable.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The advice is irresponsible and incomplete. One needs to really weigh the risks, and consider the "what-ifs"... what my partner gets really drunk, someone comes on to him, and in a moment of weakness, he goes for it, and gets infected? What if he gets bored and decides to cheat? What if.... a million other things. People always swear this will never happen to them, but it does, and I know people it's happened to.

Now... if the partners have discussed these issues, and if both of them are honestly willing to trust their lives with the other's honesty... then I suppose barebacking is an option. It's not one I'd take.

9. Stephany

May I ask - and this might sound naive, but I am not well versed in gay male sex. What is the difference between a committed gay couple having sex without a condom and a committed heterosexual couple having sex without a condom?
    Chip you say it's not a risk you'd take...what if you were married, then would you? My husband and I haven't used "protection" in 11.5 years. Is there a difference or are you just talking about people who are dating?

10. AKTodd

Hmm. When you say it's a support group, what kind of group are we talking about here? EC is a support group and when someone asks a question it's not unusual for anywhere from two to dozens of replies to be posted. The type and wording of those replies can vary wildly depending on any number of factors and the answers are all essentially on a volunteer basis.

There are also support groups with people on staff who's job description includes providing answers to questions.

Basically then the question becomes, what kind of group this was and what the context of the Q & A is. If this is being presented as an 'official' answer on behalf of the organization, then I'd say the answer needs some work. If its just a post by a member in response to a question, and the group allows open discussion (ala EC) then the quality of answers is going to vary a good bit and a certain amount of 'taking with salt' or at least caution may be in order.

Todd

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am of the opinion that barebacking should not be considered an option. Male-bodied queer folk need to get it in their heads that safety is hot. And no, I'm not talking just about the safety of the receptive partner. I'm also talking about the safety of the penetrating partner.

A condom sure can help save an awkward trip to your physician to explain how you got a urinary tract infection...

Ziester Adrian

12. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It took me a moment to realize you were concerned about the word "fuck" rather than their not stressing that not using condoms is probably not the best of ideas. :lol:

(Hmm, triple negative... Don't you just love English? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

-------------------------------------------------------
    A quick google search to summarize:
    http://www.webmd.com/sex/anal-sex-health-concerns

#12 Browncoat, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013