1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is it so fricking brutally hot here?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Aug 28, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I almost died tonight. It's so hot where I'm at now, and there's no A/C. It's brutal! Me and a few of my neighbors went to visit a few friends on the other side of campus, and then we walked to the outskirts of campus and back. It was still 80 outside at 10:30 PM, and I almost didn't make it back. There's no air conditioning because the place was built in the mid 1950's, but it's just brutal. 85 tomorrow and 88 the day after.

Tomorrow night, they're taking us to Meijer for last-minute items, so I'm getting at least a box fan and maybe 3 or 4 or 5 one-gallon jugs of water.

I didn't sleep at all last night, so I've been awake for 40 straight hours. My calves are cramping up in the heat and while I eventually made it back, Brendan and I are now baking in an oven again.

2. Bwahaha, I think it's hot everywhere.

Although I'm used to the heat, because I'm from Tennessee. But I honestly did not expect it to be hot here in PA as well. It sucks when you don't have air conditioning in the place that you live in.. or anywhere! My A/C unit isn't working right in the truck that I drive... so I'm steadily waiting...

3. Fairylink

I'm in Texas and it's hot here too! I started my day in Memphis, TN and it was also hot there. I guess everywhere is cooking right now!

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It gets up to 88 in Michigan? That's about what it was here, like 30 degrees of latitude farther south!

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most people like the cold better.

It's easier to keep warm when it's cold than it is to keep cool when it's hot.

I'd like to live around Palm Springs CA because it's surreal, with a 10,000 ft. mountain sitting behind these desert cities, and it's not that expensive, but I don't think I could do the lengthy summer season.

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hottest I've seen in Michigan was 103. And the past few years, it's been getting pretty close in the summer. This summer was pretty mild, and as fall rolls in, then the temperature spikes. I think Mother Nature might be tipping a few. :wink: That's Michigan weather for you. On my birthday (February 28) a couple years back, it was 83 degrees. That was a really nice winter. It was in the mid-50's almost every day, and that caused a lot of agricultural problems.

7. Mariall

Haha well if you ever come to Texas you'll see that in August we have weeks in triple digits every day. Last year it was 107 a LOT. I'd love for it to be 80 out.

8. When I was in TX within the past month, outside air temperature was 130. That's probably by far the hottest I've experienced, and that was around the Dallas area. At that time it seemed like the rain was going all around Texas, but not through it!

9. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Oh gosh I remember my freshman year of college there was a heatwave of 90+ degrees Fahrenheit, and we likewise were in antiquated dorms with no air conditioning.

(And yes, it's true that Summer heat arrives in stereotypically "cold" Northern states, I went to college up in Massachusetts)

But so anyway basically we just used fans to cool things off the best we could, one of those dual fan window units, and then tower fans around the room.

Make sure otherwise that the shades are drawn to keep as much sunlight out as possible.

If you have a freezer, you could put an ice pack on your head to cool you off, and then switch off with another ice pack in the freezer to always keep one cold. (If you only have a refrigerator, you could just use like cold water or Gatorade bottles)

If it gets too hot though, you should be able to go hang out in like a campus center or something that is air conditioned?

10. monotone

Be glad you don't live in a tropical region. :slight_smile:

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd made the comment to Brendan that we should just leave the fridge door open and use that as an air conditioner. I'm not the one paying the electric bill! :wink:

---------- Post added 29th Aug 2013 at 12:55 AM ----------

So after being awake for 40 hours and 19 minutes straight, I'm finally signing off and going to bed. Let's hope I can sleep tonight.

12. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Heh, that idea has crossed my mind in situations like this before, but sadly it wouldn't work; unfortunately I don't think a fridge would be strong enough to cool off the outside air, instead the heat will enter and warm up the inside of the fridge and make things go stale.

13. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Third snowiest place in america, F*cking 90's

14. ZebraJynx121

Im so jealous of all of you guys with your below triple digit weather. In AZ we're lucky to have a day below 100 during summer. At times it get up to 110 or higher! And don't get me started if its humid.

15. srslywtf

yeah lol , asif thats even hot :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Pat

Pat

Don't move to Georgia then lol.

17. Adarya

We've had over 90 degree weather almost every day the last few days, and 80 degrees last week, too. The humidity is nearly tropical and it feels much hotter than it actually is (at some points in the last few days it's felt like over 100 degrees outside).

It's horrible and I really want the winter to come back because it's honestly better than this.

18. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's been high 90s low 100s where I live in California for what feels like forever! I don't have air conditioning in my car so I avoid errands during the day...

19. Rainbow Music

I'm in San Francisco, CA, and it's always freezing here.

20. Formality

That's why you live by the arctic circle. Long cold winters to enjoy skiing and short days a.k.a. no sunshine after 2 pm. Can't get any cozier. During summer, the sun never sets. It's amazing.

#20 Formality, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013