1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Publishing my "lyricisms"--should I do it?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by don29002, Aug 29, 2013.

1. don29002

I've written over 100 songs and poems since 2007. I've written poetic verses for English classes. One of my teachers even asked me in front of my whole class my freshman year of high school "That was a great poem. Did you write that?"
    I blushed and lied; I said no because I didn't want to appear soft if my friends knew I was a poet.

I've posted my lyricisms on Yahoo Answers, Songwriting Fever, even on here a few times. I posted one song I regret posting 2 years ago. A user here condemned me and said I used "movie references in every line".....

I've kept my poetry locked in notebooks of mine, and in my Twitter.
    Should I take initiative and try to get professionally published?
    Maybe even get copy written with the Library of Congress even?

I'm currently trying to join ASCAP to be a songwriter, but can't right now. So focusing on this will hold me over....

Lyricisms--My songs and poetry.

2. That's a great idea :slight_smile:
    Why not? If you have a skill, share it with the world!
    There will always be people who have comments to make, good and bad. I think it's a great idea to use references to films in a song. People can try figuring out which films they are :slight_smile:

3. RainyViolinist

There's no good reason as to why you shouldn't :slight_smile:. If you really love doing this, you should follow dreams. Don't let others decide what you should or shouldn't do. You never know, one of the poems in your notebooks could very well be the one that will make you famous. Dreams don't come true if you just sit around thinking about what could be :slight_smile:.

4. don29002

True :slight_smile: Now to find a publisher who would accept my submissions.
    *Cutaway*
    One drive to New York and a load of submissions later....