1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got fired... what do I do? :(

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MoyashiAlice, Aug 29, 2013.

1. MoyashiAlice

Hi~

Yeah, I just got fired at the job I have had for a little over 2-3 months. My bosses had the daughter call me, as they don't speak English great and tell me.

This was also my first job. So, I am kinda wondering where I go from here. Do I take the only job I had off my resume? Or do I leave it on? My mom said that old employers are not supposed to completely trash their old employees even if they have fired them. They are just supposed to confirm whether or not I worked there.

Anyone had experience with this. What do I do???? :frowning2: :tears: :help:

---------- Post added 29th Aug 2013 at 11:24 AM ----------

I feel like such a failure... I couldn't even keep a sandwich making job.

2. srslywtf

What were you fired for? Did they give a justified reason?

3. Night

Night Guest

I'm curious about the reason too. If you were only there for less then 3 months, they're allowed to fire you without reason. That doesn't make it fair, of course, but it can happen. If you can, try talking to them (or the daughter) and ask if they can still give you a good reference. If need be, you can take the job off of your résumé, or if you get a reason as to why you were fired (and it's that they simply didn't need the extra staff), you can keep it on your résumé and explain to new employers what happened.

And don't feel bad. It happens all the time :slight_smile:

4. MoyashiAlice

@srslywtf

Well, since it was their daughter I couldn't get the full details but before they had told me that my speed was slow. Later they said it had improved. Last night was my first closing shift alone, and apparently I made quite a few mistakes. I stayed over 25 min past my closing shift to make sure everything was okay, but maybe I missed a lot of things. :frowning2:

5. biggayguy

You may as well leave it on your resume. A perspective employer will appreciate honesty better than a big employment gap. When they ask you why you were fired try to frame your answer in the best light possible without lying. Perhaps tell them what you learned from being fired and how that will make you a better employee. Maybe you've learned to be more organized so that you can do your job faster.

#5 biggayguy, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  6. Brightsky

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sorry to hear you lost the job. That's just stupid, new employees are supposed to make some mistakes. Besides if you weren't sure what to do, then it's the bosses fault for not training you. He shouldn't have fired you.

It's possible if you were fired before 3 months the he did this because your still in the probation period and he can get away with it because your not a full employee yet. Kinda sucks

7. MoyashiAlice

@everyone

Thanks for the help. I understand why they would fire me, if they felt I was too slow. I guess I'm just mad at myself for not being able to do something more. I wish when I tried my best, it was better than this, you know? I guess more than anything, my self confidence took another huge knock.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is where the word "resilience" may be useful.

You ask what to do now? Simple (but not easy): get up tomorrow morning at the same time as if you still had the job (really, really important to recognize that finding a job is a job in itself). Scan the job boards, and let everyone you know, their friends, families and 2nd cousins if need be that you are looking for a job.

Pound the pavement, look for signs in shop windows, and be flexible and open to things you may not have considered before.

Best of luck!

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, I'm really sorry to hear that happened. I just had a disciplinary meeting earlier this week, and I am wondering if I'm going to have my job at all in two weeks. I have difficulty sleeping at night, and it affects my personal life, so I definitely understand where you're at.

I don't know about the laws where you are, but in general, like you said, your previous employer is generally only supposed to confirm whether or not you worked there and not trash you. They should be aware that there are legal consequences for that.

I think you might have to ask someone else with a little more experience. In your case, maybe a 2-3 month gap in your employment history could be okay on a resume, but if you don't have any other jobs on there, it might be good to list this one. For my case, even if I get fired, I'll probably still have to list this one, as I've been at it for over two years.

I wish you well, sister. (*hug*)

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Know that getting let go of a job isn't an indication of your self-worth, or your worth to other employers at large. Yeah, all things being equal, they prefer employment to unemployment, but they understand that sometimes "things don't work out". Leave it on your resume. When they ask why you were let go, feel free to tell them. "Well, it was sudden. I got a call from the owner's daughter saying they didn't think I did the work fast enough. I would've preferred for them to talk things over with me to see if I could improve, but I guess sometimes things happen."

Lex

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm usually on board with you, but not this time. I say leave it off the resume. The gap is a problem later in life, after college and such. At 19, she is young and it is totally possible that she just didn't work and 2 to 3 months is practically a non-event. She should feel no guilt over a "white lie." When I was a senior in high school, my best friend and I worked for a small business after school and during the summer. They were of a particular ethnic group. They extended preferential treatment and easier work to employees of that group, including a kid our age who one of the owners had a soft spot for, opening up his wallet and slipping him a $20 and every now and then, thinking people didn't see. There are a lot of dishonest employers out there - big and small, governmental and private. From the get-go, I'm inclined to side with the employee 80% of the time, but want to hear the details, though.

OP, leave it off your resume, keep your chin up, avoid employers where you may not perform that well, try again, keep trying, and eventually find out what you really want to do later on. Keep your chin up.

12. MoyashiAlice

Hi everyone~
    Thanks so much for the encouraging words. They really help. :slight_smile: Tomorrow, I am going to get my last paycheck and talk to my bosses. Not a lot, I am actually just going to tell them I am considering putting them down for a summer job BUT want to know what they will say if another employer calls.

If they say something along the lines of "Nothing good." or something like that then I may leave it off the resume as Tightrope suggested. If they seem fairly neutral or somewhat positive "You are a nice person but were a little slow" then I may leave it on.

I will start looking for a new job tomorrow either way.I need one badly, as I am taking a year off for uni so that I could save money. Not going to go well if I have no income. :frowning2:

13. AsIUsedToBe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even if you messed you your were still relatively new. im sorry just start looking again. I know it sucks

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know how Canada works, but an employer in the U.S. has to be really careful with what they say. The unenlightened employer may not know this. At any rate, even in the U.S., they only confirm basic things such as job held, time worked, and not much more - not even rate of pay. However, they can ask "Would you rehire the person?" The employer can say yes or no. If they said "No," or "I decline to answer," then the next employer may have an issue with it. I like to be honest in most dealings, but I once got burned by being honest in a situation like this, and I was clearly in the right.

But, at 19 and for finding work, I'm sure you can find something else if you put yourself out there. What about retail work, where you don't have to prepare things? Teens are let go all the time, and they bounce right back with a new job. I was 16 and working, and a girl who was a friend and just horsing around with me, got let go for rolling up a towel and snapping it on my rear to make a "snap" sound. A manager was there and told her that was it. It was ridiculous. All he needed to say was "Don't do that anymore."

15. MoyashiAlice

Thanks for the support. :slight_smile: Yeah, in Canada an employer would be in big trouble if they said something extremely negative against you apparently.

16. jer2911rtd

jer2911rtd Guest

Legally all they can ask is if you worked there and if the employer would hire you back. If this is your first job I'd say just leave it off the resume and work on other skills in the mean time to help you find a different job. Good luck!

17. MoyashiAlice

Hi~

Yeah me and my mom are still trying to decide if we should leave it on or off the resume. See, if I take it off then the last time I did volunteer work was like 2 yrs ago and I have never had a job. If I leave it on, it looks like I had something for the summer.

Also, certain applications ask "Have you ever been discharged from any employment?" If I leave my job off the resume, how do I respond to that question?