1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Labelling in the gay community

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Matty1994, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Matty1994

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I was thinking today about the different 'types' of gay guys there are like bears and twinks. But I wondered why is it that these labels are only used in the among gay people (or as far as I know they are) and why aren't they used by straight people? Anyone have any insight on this?

2. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Because gay people have a unique and vibrant culture, while straight people are boring?

Being a long-persecuted minority forced gay people to look inward and build our own culture. Perhaps we are also more in-tune with and open about our sexuality, we have a self-awareness of what we are and what we like.

In straight society, there exist pretty universally accepted concepts of what makes an ideal woman and an ideal man. Gays, on the other hand, have a variety of different types of ideal person, subject to individual preference.

3. 2112

I've wondered about that too, but Rakkaus' explanation makes sense. Also, I think gay people feel a little more freedom of who can be attractive because we are already different from straight people because we're attracted to the same sex, so we don't limit ourselves to what is usually considered attractive just to seem "normal".

4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see what Rakkaus is saying, but even so, wouldn't labeling people in a group invite more stereotypes within that group?

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really know why we have to label ourselves more than gay. I don't want to be part of a gay community; I want everyone to be in one community.

And there are straight labels, but a lot apply to LGB people. Terms like jock, hunk, etc. are applicable to both to straight people and to others.

6. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Because gays have no problem thinking about these sorts of things. Straights wouldnt really care, and wouldnt have a desire to think these sorts of things (for the most part).

Also, we tend to be more introvertive (especially on a gay website) so self-discovery/classifications are sort of a daily habit.

7. i think straight people do have labels but they are more girly girl, tomboy, e.t.c nothing like the gay community uses tho. hmm.

8. Pocky

My theory...

Those that have defined their sense of self by their 'gayness' enter the gay community, they are suddenly not 'the gay guy' but just 'a guy'. To maintain a sense of self and a personality, they fall into one of the 'cliques' based upon appearance etc.

Or perhaps because the gay community is much smaller, it's much easier to typify groups of people.

9. I don't think straight people are around enough gays to catch onto the 'gay' chit chat lingos.