1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bisexuality- Half gay, half straight, or separate orientation all together?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by byronea, Aug 30, 2013.

1. byronea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    As a bisexual, it annoys me when people say that I am both gay and straight, or say that I am half gay and half straight. In my mind, straight means you are only attracted to the opposite sex, and gay means you are only attracted to the same sex. Bisexual means that you are attracted to both sexes. Its an entirely separate sexual orientation from gay and straight.

Your thoughts?

2. Fiddledeedee

Didn't you know? It's the other way around -- "gay" is just being half bi (the "likes same gender" half). We're the One True Orientation™.

More seriously, I think that for some bisexual people, it essentially is like being half gay half straight, and for others it's a separate orientation altogether. Considering it separate is more useful.

3. Hysteria

Yeah, I agree. It's annoying when people make that misconception, it's as if they assume there can only be two different sexual orientations, when in reality there's an entire spectrum.

4. WeAreYoung

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    When i came out as confused my friend said to me "Maybe youre mostly lesbian but a bit straight?" WHAAAT? Guess what they mean is you can have lesbian relationships or straight relationships but nahh i dont think being gay and straight makes sense :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Can see why it would annoy you!

5. MijSo

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Obviously pretty stupid.

"i am straight. but i am also gay. ermagerd."

6. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    You cannot be gay and straight at the same time ... Gay people isnt attrcted toward opposite sex only same, straight people isnt attracted to same sex only opposite... Being gay and straight at the same time would be: being attracted toward both sex but also no being attracted to neither.

It would be q contradiction :lol:

---------- Post added 30th Aug 2013 at 06:18 AM ----------

So bisexual is another orientation

7. RocketMoose27

LOL! I would laugh my ass off if somebody ever said that to me, I mean, the way you worded it was hilarious! :roflmao:

Your profile picture is awesome. :eek:

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's another orientation. It's also one that people can be very at ease with or navigate with difficulty. I've seen the term "neurotic bisexual" in reading about movie plots more than once.

9. Hexagon

Yeah, it kind of tries to take away our right to an identity, like we're just made up of parts of everything else.

10. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well, it would be like the old Christian theological debate, is Jesus Christ half-god half-man, or is he fully god and fully man at the same time, two natures in one. (The latter of course won the debate in orthodox Christianity). Are bisexuals half-gay half-straight, or are they fully gay and fully straight at the same time?

Remember sexual orientations are just made up by humans as a way of simplifying and explaining something as complicated and ethereal as sexual attraction. Human beings are attracted to other individual human beings, not to entire genders or sexes in the abstract. I don't think there is just a gene with a simple ternary of "gay", "straight" or "bisexual" coded into it.

The majority of people probably are in fact technically bisexual, according to Kinsey at least, however most have a strong preference for one or the other; so there really is a lot of grey area between the seemingly distinct orientations.