1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I was shopping today...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tryhtwfr, Aug 30, 2013.

1. tryhtwfr

I was doing my shopping today in Wilkinson (a store in the UK) for just general items with my little brother who is 11 years old.

So, I was walking down the beauty isle and noticed I needed a hair band to keep my hair away from my face at night so I don't get spots (I have a sexy fringe) and I was very reluctant in picking up the hair band as it was on the top rack and many women (middle aged who looked really pretty) were surrounding that area. After 3 - 5 minutes of just wondering around waiting for the women to move, eventually all but one old lady moved and I thought to myself that the old lady means no harm and that she won't really fuss about me picking up a hair band as she would think I was buying it for my mum or something along the lines of that.

Then, I proceeded to pick the hair band off the top rack where it was displayed and upon trying to take it off the rack as it was stuck because I was trying to take it off quickly before anyone noticed, the old lady stared at me with disgust and a confused look as if she had just seen a monster. I asked the old lady "something the matter?" and she replied stuttering "n-n-no I-I-I'm fine". I then went back to minding my business and then I was searching around the same area for a plastic version of a hair band and then I could hear a faint laugh coming from behind me so I turned around and there she was with same look of disgust on her face. I felt like just moving away and getting away from such a rude person but I plucked up the courage and I then asked her again, "something the matter?" and she said very sternly "yes something is the matter, I think you're in the wrong section, young boy." which really startled me and despite not being Transgender, I moved closer to her reluctantly as I thought she would slap me or try to batter me with her handbag but I carried on and I whispered into her "don't tell anyone but I'm secretly a girl inside" (something along the lines of that) and she barged me whilst trying to cart away her trolley as far away as possible from me. I started bursting out laughing but then I felt really sad and disappointed that we live in a world where discrimination and prejudice still happens even if it is in London! Luckily, my little brother wasn't there to witness the whole exchange as he was looking at the games in another section.

Today, I learned that you shouldn't really care what other people think and just do what you want to as it's your life and no ones else :thumbsup:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At least you got to scare someone... :grin:

3. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is kinda funny, but also kinda sad, so what if it shows a lady on the label wearing it.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not to mention the amount of other reasons you could have had for buying one...

5. tryhtwfr

Preach!

Exactly! I mean I don't have incredibly long hair but she could have noticed the fringe I have going on which needs attended to at night...

6. Fairylink

That's funny that you scared her off. I buy those as well as make up and I'm not transgendered, just super girly :slight_smile: Anyways I get funny looks all the time in that section when there are women picking up some make up or something lol. I used to be very nervous doing it(even buying hair ties), but now since I'm out and have grown really comfortable with myself I usually don't feel weird anymore.

7. Gen

Gen

I agree with Chrissy. I don't have very many female-oriented products, but I have many that are unisex though marketed towards women because they are the largest demographic of buyers. Besides those I tend to have a knack for skipping over gender boundaries.

Sure, it can be nerve-racking in the beginning, but there is really nothing to be ashamed of. Its not your responsibility to make sure everyone else in this world fully understands and approves of the things you choose to do.

This one lovely woman told me, that "boys are not supposed to dress in tight clothes". So I told her, "And strangers aren't supposed to be in my business ; )".

8. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Stupid old bat, don't mind bigoted idiots like her....the thing to keep in mind in such situations, is to always show confidence, so that there will be no doubt in anyone's mind that you intend to be in that store or section. Show enough confidence to let them know that anyone who still has a problem with you can shove it.

When I'm looking at and trying on girls' jeans or leggings, sometimes I'll see someone watching me...I'll just stare right into their eyes with a total bitch face, they'll look away, and that's the end of them.

This usually will only happen with older people who are more likely to be conservative, and thus usually in department stores that attract people of all ages. It sounds like the store you were in was like that, with judgmental old people feeling entitled to force their antiquated opinions upon you.

But that's also why I try to do my shopping in stores that are targeted toward youthful, trendy people that attract lots of gays and hipsters and liberal educated people, so I feel like I fit in.

---------- Post added 30th Aug 2013 at 06:32 PM ----------

Oh gosh that's awful, how did that conversation happen? Were you trying something on in a store?