1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The uk? Anyone else feel this way?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jessica79, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Jessica79

Ok so I have just kinda realised people in the uk are terrible for accepting being gay and I've seen stuff of people in the us who are gay and everyone is understanding why are British people so horrible I can't wait to live somewhere else ;-; I hate this country so much.

Wuv you all :3

2. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Um, the UK is one of most gay-friendly nations to live in, like most Western nations. Of course it is far from perfect for gay issues, but the US is certainly far from perfect too.

I suppose it depends on exactly where you live inside a country; some regions are more liberal and gay-friendly than others. Cities generally are more tolerant and accepting of diversity than rural areas.

But think about gay people in Saudi Arabia or Iran, or Uganda or Zimbabwe, who are executed for being gay.

3. Jessica79

It just feels like in the uk people bully and in the us if you live in a nice chilled area and people seem more accepting sorry if you don't understand what I mean I'm silly ;-; this is the reason why I'm waiting before coming out as I know I will get ridiculed :'(

4. AKTodd

Speaking as someone who lives in one of the more conservative areas of the US, I would say that the UK seems vastly more accepting (or at least indifferent) to gay people than huge swathes of this country. People bully in the US as well and while there are some 'chilled' areas, those are mostly just the size of cities or portions of cities.

It may just be the part of the UK that you're in. If you get the chance to live elsewhere you may find the environment much more accepting than where you are now.

Todd

5. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

People get bullied in the US too. People get bullied everywhere.

Yes, there are 'nice chilled areas' to live in the U.S., like the Northeast or West Coast, but there are also really bad parts to live in the U.S. for gay people, like the South. I'm sure it is the same in the U.K. You might just live in a conservative neighbourhood.

But your concerns aren't silly, bullying shouldn't be happening anywhere, and if you are being bullied then actions should be taken to stop it.

In any event, if you don't feel accepted where you are, then absolutely you should move to somewhere you will feel more comfortable if/when you are old enough to do so. If you want to come to the U.S., then of course we'd love to have you, welcome. :icon_bigg

6. Jessica79

I really do want to move away when old enough when I'm 18 I get like £3500 which is just over $4000 maybe in some parts like the quiet places like Cornwall people don't mind but in where I am in the uk people are disgusting it makes me sick living here I would love to live in France / Greece loads of hot guys :3

7. I've found that most of the English people I've come across just down right horrible LOL

8. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

The US is homophobic as fuck.

9. Beware Of You

There are some really homophobic parts to the UK, the far North of England comes to mind, as does any part of Scotland outside of the cities with the exception of Glasgow there are some real religious nut cases up there.

10. Hexagon

The UK is better than most.

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm lucky to live in one of Australia's most liberal cities, but the rest of the country can be so, so awful. I imagine Britain, the US, Canada, South Africa and other similar countries to have it very similar, and we're still amongst the luckiest nations when it comes to things like this.

12. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just remember it's not necessarily that the UK is anti-LGBT we just have a hell of a lot of complete dickheads!

13. MichaelB

You come from a really conservative part of the UK man. The north is basically the UK equivalent of the American south.

Down south, especially near Brighton, it's much friendlier. There's still the occasional homophobic comment, but that's the minority. In fact, homophobic people *are* the minority round here. I guess I'm just lucky that I live in the South East of England. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Annon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Where I am (Folkestone, Kent), So many people have come out as Bi, its the new normal. Once that was accepted, everyone is so supportive of fully gay people.
    I think England is the best country to come out it.
    USA, Bible bashers over half of it, would hate to come out there (no offence)
    Middle east, all muslims, hate gays
    Europe, mostly christian/catholic. (Very anti gay)
    Asia, no rights (again, I dont mean to sound offencive, but you know what i mean)
    The only other good country would be Australia.

---------- Post added 31st Aug 2013 at 10:34 AM ----------

Kent, is way down south, I agree with ^

15. DanD

I'm in the south east of England, and so far everything's been fine. I guess it's all about the area you live in and the people you converse with.
    Having said that, it'd be easy for a stranger to act like a dickhead if he's homophobic, so I just think we need to be strong and support each other as best we can.

16. monotone

Doesn't the UK already have gay marriage? I'd imagine things will get better much faster from now on.

Now, excuse me while I throw a pity party about how conservative where I live is. I definitely want to move to the US or Canada, or maybe New Zealand, but getting a degree is pretty much a prerequisite for moving and that causes me a great deal of anxiety about school.

17. Squib

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I live in the North West of England and i hear homophobic jokes/jibes a lot. I'm not openly out so people don't try and hide it in front of me or bully me because they don't know. But I hear them a lot. It depends where I am really and who the people are. At University I heard no homophobic comments at all. But when I'm at home I hear them quite a bit. But then again I also hear many comments about fat people, people of different beliefs and races etc. I think it's a lack of education and the fact that parents beliefs get passed on to the next generation and the cycle continues. Personally though I do think it's getting a bit better. At least it's a lot better than some countries where people get killed for being anything but heterosexual.

As far as bullying in schools. I got bullied all the time. But not for my sexual orientation. I think children particularly can be cruel and bully for all kinds of reasons. Sometimes it's their own insecurities and I'm ashamed to admit I did bully someone once. We're like best friends now though which is quite funny.

I'm just hoping with the legalization of gay marriage that the next generations growing up will see more openly gay couples and will not grow up with the same closed minds.

I would say that most countries have problems with homophobia. I wouldn't say that the UK is particularly bad. But in some places the people are very uneducated and have very closed minds. Unfortunately a lot of people near where I am from are like that.

18. Valhalla

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've found the complete opposite to be honest. No one here batted an eyelid when I came out. I guess it depends on where in the UK you live. I live in London, so perhaps people are a bit more accepting around here. I think it's the new normal, and everyone wants to hop on the "I'm not homophobic and here's my gay acquaintance to prove it" bandwagon.
    Personally I found that by not making a big deal out of it, other people don't; because it really doesn't matter to them who you like.
    Maybe where you live is just particularly conservative?

19. Annon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never realised the UK was as bad as you guys say, I also didnt click how different north and south were. Living in the south, i suddenly feel really civilised.

20. Ohhai

The UK's not THAT bad... :s

---------- Post added 31st Aug 2013 at 11:28 AM ----------

I live in the midlands... I just see nice people and dickheads intertwined :lol: