1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College vs. University

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kurt, May 21, 2008.

1. Kurt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was wondering, and I live in Canada, we have two different post-secondary acadmic systems, College and University:
    Which one do you think has a higher LGBT population? I think universities generally have a higher population but what about percentage wise to the whole system?
    I ask this cause I'm going to College next year and wish I was going to university because it seems like there might be a bigger LGBT population; is that true?

2. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know what the difference is. I thought it was the same.

3. TyraBanksIsFierce

Same

4. LOVEjames

From here.

And to answer your question, I don't think that it really has anything to do with whether or not it's a college or university, I think that it really depends on the area in which you live. If Ontario has a high percentage of LGBT people, then your college or university will probably have a lot of LGBT people in it.

5. joshhunt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same

6. LOVEjames

In America there really isn't a difference between the two, but everywhere else it's different. In Australia it's the same as Canada, but in France colleges are more reputable than universities. Also, universities offer more degrees than colleges.

7. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay. Then the correct translation of "universidad" is university (and not college).

I study at an university (University of Uruguay, Montevideo). I have yet to meet someone else who is openly gay...

8. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm from Canada too and my guess would be that people are possibly more open about GLBTQ stuff in universities than colleges, just because universities are more prestigious and there would be this kind of assumption that people would be expected to be left-wing or left-wing-friendly in university.

That might just be my bias, since I went to university and colleges seem lower class to me, and I generally associate lower class with less tolerance for social difference.

Are you planning to transfer to university? In BC, a big role of the colleges is to provide 2 years of cheaper tuition, generally better teacher-to-student ratios, and easier admission standards for people who later transfer to university.

Or is the program you want only available in college?

That being said, if you go to a big enough college, I'm sure there will be plenty of queer folk around.

9. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the U.S., at least where I live, most colleges and universities can grant the same degrees, although there is much more likelihood that universities grant higher degrees. I'm attending a college and aiming for my BA.

10. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

You can come to my college :wink: We have lots of GLBT in Pittsburgh! (please?) -_-

11. Jim1454

I don't know the answer to your question. I would say that the laws of averages would suggest that the same proportion of the college population would be gay as the university population.

However, as Joey said, people may feel more comfortable being 'out' in university than in college. Colleges tend to have a more practical focus, and there is less 'idealism' and more 'realism'. So colleges, where their goal is to prepare you for mainstream society and get you a job somewhere, are going to align more closely with mainstream society, which, unfortunately, is not as open to homosexuality as we'd like it to be.

Having said that, being in Canada, and Ontario in particular, likely means that you'll have a more open and accepting college environment than many universities would be in other parts of the country or world. I'm sure there will be a LGBT group there. Perhaps that's something you can look into beforehand.

Good luck!

12. Defraction

In the UK, college is 16-18 education (normally) or it is when you take A-levels, which you need to go to University.

As for your question - I have no idea. :slight_smile:

13. byeee

In my university, there's 1 openly gay guy, 1 almost openly gay guy and a bunch of others bisexuals, bicurious, drunk-curious etc :slight_smile:
    Well, it's useful to be friends with the openly gay guy, right? He once said he should have a column in the student paper called 'Fag of the week'. I didn't inquire about who the rest of the weeks were taken by, because I really don't care right now.
    Just a few more days until finals are over and hopefully things will work out okay.