1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wedding Dreams?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Emberblaze, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Emberblaze

Hey, so, I'm just curious if any gay guys (hell even straight guys) actually dream about their wedding day? (women can answer too of course!)

But if so, what are some things you'd like to have at yours?

To be honest, I'm not a firm advocate for tradition so I wouldn't want a typical wedding in a church with the wedding march being played on the piano.

I want my wedding to be maybe near the ocean during sunset and have probably Tifa's theme from final fantasy 7 or Garnet's theme from final fantasy 9 playing on the piano. And when the sun sets, I wanna do the Chinese fire lanterns ^^

These are just some rough ideas of course, I'm only 17, single in the south, and gay marriage is legal in like 12something states so I CERTAINLY have some time before this wedding happens.

So guys gals and everyone in between (I mean no offense by that) what kinda dreams do you have for your wed day?

2. AmityRanch

As much as I think that's adorable that you're thinking about these things, I'm not sure I'll follow suit.

I personally don't ever want to have a wedding, and to be honest, I'm not entirely sure I want to get married at all. If I did, I think it'd only be for the benefits.
    Both of us would just sign the papers, maybe spend the rest of the night in each other's arms, just enjoying the other's company.

I definately wouldn't consider it as a wedding, and it'd be completely secretive.
    We wouldn't wear any rings, no announcements would be made, it'd all be locked behind closed doors.
    As far as all our friends and family would know, it never happened.
    Also, not sure about what you guys think, but I hate the word 'husband'.
    Hopefully we'd be able to remain 'boyfriends'... at least in our heads.

I support all your guys' decisions, though.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to get married at San Francisco City Hall. Standing under the rotunda visible to everyone there. The more the merrier!

The good thing problem is you only get 10 minutes for your ceremony, and depending on the time, there may be other couples waiting to get married standing right next to you. But it's cheap though! $99 for the marriage license and $75 for the ceremony, and California law requires that you have both done or your marriage is void.

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Man. Used to never give a shit about my wedding. Now it's just one of those things I'm starting to look forward to, along with possibilty of being a father.

May sound bland but I'm most looking forward to the tux and altar. :wink:

5. I've never really thought about my wedding if I'm lucky enough to meet the girl who is appropriate for marriage with myself.

Not sure where I'd have it, probably leave it up to the other party to suss it out I'm not really fussed for me its more about the life of the marriage together than some flash as wedding aye.

6. LuvMyIB

I dream all the time of a big wedding! I want to get married but my partner of 16 years this year is not into it. I have a devoured Roman Catholic that wants a BIG wedding. Three things are against me one the church does not accept us yet, two the state does not accept us yet (Florida) and three partner not into it. So I guess it won't happen for a long while! Oh we'll a girl can still dream!

7. Sometimes if I'm really bored I think about it. I'd probably like it in House (like a manor sort of House).
    A small family meal around noon, and then a late night (to early morning depending on who goes) party.
    I would be wearing a white dress :slight_smile:P traditional) that would be as light as possible. I don't like heavy dresses.
    BOTH of our families would have to be there. That might seem an obvious thing to say but I've been to a wedding where barely any of the bride's family was there, and he was really upset, so I don't want that to happen.
    Maybe it would be a small wedding, but with everyone at the party after.
    And of course a honeymoon. Somewhere foreign. Not too fussed where, as long as I don't die from the heat. I guess she could choose :slight_smile:

8. yidnah87

I've never had any dreams like this, not sure if I'd ever want to get married, to a man or woman. Though I am a big supporter of marriage equality.

9. Donnerschlag

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I just want a simple beach sunset wedding with out close friends and relatives. The reception will also be by the seaside. Dancing by the bonfire and ending it off with fireworks while everyone holds their sparklers.

When we travel back to our city. I want a post-reception in a nice 5 star hotel with the other friends, co-workers, and people who couldn't attend our wedding. We would hire a famous local singer to serenade us while me and my partner dance in the middle of the dance floor.

10. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was just at a wedding last night, so I've had enough for a while.

My dream is just to elope, all the other stuff is overkill

11. Daguerreo

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Waaaaah, great minds think alike, haha! I would love to have that at my wedding as well!
    Getting married near the ocean is my big dream with a yummy cake, a beautiful reception and wearing Garnet's dress

12. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly didn't know that you had to have a ceremony though. I thought all you had to do was go to the county courthouse in whatever state you're going to get married in, fill out the application and after it was approved by the Justice of the Peace, you're legally married.

Apparently in most of the states that allow gay marriage, your marriage license is just legal permission to go get married. You have to then have a minister go through the whole vows crap, you know, "To have and to hold for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, for richer or for poorer..."

I didn't want that, I just wanted a piece of paper that says "AwesomGaytheist and (my new husband's full name) are legally married."

13. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think you really need that. I think all you need is a witness to sign your paperwork. That is all my parents did, they just had something at the courthouse. Maybe I'm wrong, I can't say.

14. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, don't think the ceremony/reception crap are required. More of a social cultural expectation (and status symbol) over anything.

15. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    According to USMarriageLaws.com, most states issue a marriage license to couples, which they then have to take to a minister/judge/Justice of the Peace within a specific amount of time, who then officiates the ceremony. Now whether that's a $50,000 wedding like some couples throw or just holding hands in a courtroom and having the judge pronounce you spouses for life, that's up to you.

Once this happens, the judge sends some paperwork to the state, and the state then mails the newlywed couple their Marriage Certificate, the legal document that says you're married under the laws of the state.

Some states have waiting periods for some reason. They'll issue you a marriage license today, but if you're in New York or Delaware, you can't have your ceremony until tomorrow.

If you're in Maryland, it's 2 days. In Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, and Washington State, it's 3 days. If you're in Delaware but don't live there, you have to wait 4 days. And if you're getting married in Washington, DC, or in Minnesota, you'll wait 5 days.

This isn't a big deal, considering most who plan their weddings and invite guests get their license well in advance. The length of time the licenses are valid depends on the state. In Iowa, you have 90 days to have a ceremony, and in Minnesota, you have 6 months.

16. Hrantou

I think about it sometimes. It'd be nice to have all my closest friends there and the part of my family that actually loves me. I like tradition. Tuxs, big cake, fancy place...although if I ever do get married, I HAVE to have SOMEWHERE a piece of my favorite show Doctor Who there. Maybe the cake can have a little ornament on it or something. It would be my way of saying, "This is a part of me, that loves you like you love me for what I am." (Yes, I am a hopeless romantic) And he can whatever he wants to be there too.

It probably wouldn't be in a church though. Never was a fan of churches. That really is my only condition. No church. Unless its absolutely necessary or he REALLY wants it.

Now I'm rambling. Heh, maybe one day I'll meet a guy that is actually crazy enough to marry me :icon_redf

17. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh I thought you meant a literal dream at night!

Because though I never think much about it, the girl I fell for (who is straight as an arrow) once had a dream that the two of us were getting married... Wish it were reality... :dry:

18. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, it's something I've never put much thought into. Though I plan on it being really romantic and intimate, not in a church, I mean, I want to be able to smell the fresh air as me and my Fiance start our lives together.

I think I want my marriage to take place somewhere where there is water. I don't know why, but I just want water there somewhere.
    I want something romantic, like the OP said, Chinese lanterns would be so beautiful at dusk, those kinds that float off into the wind.
    I don't want a huge wedding where everybody we know is invited, because, where's the intimacy in that?

19. shiro757

shiro757 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This means any marriage is illegal. Since there's supposed to be a separation of church and state, and you must APPLY for a marriage license or permit from the court. A marriage is supposed to be a religious thing.
    The way it should be done is you get married in what fshion your religion dictates, and ten have it recorded by the court.

20. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like I said later, it doesn't have to be a religious ceremony, it just has to be someone who is a judge, Justice of the Peace, Magistrate, or an ordained minister, who doesn't have to be of any certain religion. My aunt's wife is half-Cherokee, and her religious beliefs are those of the Cherokee tribe. She's legally an ordained minister by some online church where for $20 they'll take care of the paperwork and you can then go marry people.