1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this too much to ask?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joanne, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Joanne

Is it too much to ask for us to stop the, "I can believe whatever the hell I want and force it on people as fact regardless of how little evidence I have", stuff. The truth is its not ok to force beliefs on people of which you have little to no evidence. The sensible thing to do is to believe whatever you like, only expect others to believe what they want to believe on their own terms through direct personal understanding only, and only present a belief as a theory to be investigated as truth by the scientific practice when you find some hard backing evidence, and even then stay open to perceived facts changing as new data is found every day.

Is this really such a hard concept to swallow?

It is absolutely ridiculous that in this world irrational beliefs held by many but supported by near to no hard evidence is a more important factor used in governing than theory's backed by solid evidence and careful studies assessing the data.

#1 Joanne, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  2. srslywtf

"I believe I can believe whatever I want"

How do you stop that?

You cannot use logic to argue against the irrational because they do not act according to logic.

3. Joanne

There's nothing wrong with people believing what they want, the problem is when they express opinions based on it and make actions that affects others as if their belief is absolute fact when the evidence suggests otherwise

4. RainyViolinist

There's a funny saying I heard recently: "Life is like a penis. It's ok that you have one, and it's ok to be proud of it. But don't just whip it out in public, think with it, or force it down our children's throats."

5. blueberrymuffin

Doesn't speak very highly of us as humans when we consistently enforce standards from a 2500 year old book of fables. No, it's not too much to *insist* that our laws actually adhere to self determination and live-and-let-live. It's *long overdue*

6. justjade

That's fucking epic. I'm going to use that. :lol:

Except I'm going to replace "life" with "religion".

---------- Post added 1st Sep 2013 at 01:26 PM ----------

True. But just remember, when someone tries to use religion as grounds for their point, remind them that, when you're writing a research paper in college, religious text is not viewed as a credible source.

"Oh, I see you used the Bible as one of your sources. I'm not a Christian. Your point doesn't apply to me. Reading your paper is going to be a complete waste of time."

7. shiro757

shiro757 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like to come back with "why did God give me free will, then?" That normally shuts them up.

8. RainyViolinist

Oops it was supposed to be religion, not life :lol:.