1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homosexuality in my School

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Trumpetplyer23, May 22, 2008.

1. Trumpetplyer23

Yes, you read that title right. Let me give a bit of background on my school. It is very small (only about 500 to 600 attend the high school), kind of old, and about ten miles away from a major city.

Some of the people there are total redneck homophobes. Most of them don't even know one gay person. Most of them think bisexuality doesn't exist. And, of course, the number one redneck trait, they drive a pick-up truck *cue fake hick accent*

I was completely blown away and happy when I heard that there is a lesbian sophomore couple. I was pretty sure that if you were gay at my school, people'd either hate you or be accepting, but as for a relationship, that's a whole different story.

My friend told me that two girls (one of which I know from a class I took) ended up hooking up about three months ago and now they just started telling people. They answered questions people had and basically told opposers that they didn't give a damn about what they said.

Today, I saw them together, they looked so happy! The way people should look when they're dating people. I'm so happy for them, not only have they found someone to be with, they're making great strides in our fellow students' views on homosexuality/bisexuality!!!

2. ccdd

ccdd Guest

That's absolutely brilliant! And kudos to them! (!)

One of the biggest problems that LGBT people have in such communities is invisibility - which in turn breeds ignorance and hatred - which leads to more invisibility. Let's hope this is the beginning of a more enlightened era! I know that I would never have come out in my school (such was the homophobia that I never came out to myself).

So has the general reception to the news been good? Hopefully this will mean more people will be able to come out... do you know the couple? Great news!

3. Trumpetplyer23

I know the one girl, she was in my gym class a few years ago. Real nice girl, too. I don't know the other one at all, I just know what she looks like.

I've seen them in public together, and they weren't afraid to hold hands and whatnot.

As for the general reception, my friends are okay with it. I haven't heard any bad things about it. Although I do know my principal is homophobic, so we'll have to wait and see what he does. It probably won't be bad, though, he's already getting sued for something else.

4. Jim1454

Wow - I'm so happy for you! That's great!

5. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yay!! :grin: I'm glad they're happy. :slight_smile:

Maybe IIIII should set the same example - oh wait that'd mean getting a girlfriend first, which is currently something I lack...

6. Nodnarb

That's awesome!

My school is really similar to yours, actually(just under 500 students, about 15/20 minutes from Council Bluffs/Omaha). We have (well, had. They just graduated) two out gay guys. Before the last month or so of school I had never really bothered to meet them or to see how they were treated or anything(which is kinda strange, you think I would have just to judge how accepting we are here). Anyways, I started noticing that nobody here seems to have a problem with them. They were (besides a rather funny joke involving them at lunch one day) never even mentioned. Last week, one of my friends who I thought was one of the most homophobic started joking around with Austen just like he would any straight guy. It made me really happy, and excited for when I *eventually* get around to coming out.

Another thing sorta related. After we finished our final in history, we started to discuss how our school has no diversity what-so-ever. Then one girl(probably the most gay-accepting in the entire school) jumps up and says "Well, at least we have TWO gay people!" I thought it was hilarious, because she said it as if it were some huge accomplishment. But you would think that she of all people would know that there are more gays in the school than just Michael and Austen. Our teacher (who went to school here in the early 90's) also said that this town has become far more accepting, and how in "his day" any out gay person would have been ridiculed and outcast, and now people don't really care. (for the record, I have a really strong feeling that he is gay too)

And not to drag this rambling post on even farther, but we watched the move "A Glimpse of Hell"(about the battleship Iowa. the plot centered around a sailor who was rumored to be gay), and most of the class agreed that we should get rid of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell".

7. Trumpetplyer23

I think schools should teach acceptance a lot more. I think a lot of problems would be eliminated if more schools made an effort to stamp out hatred and prejudice. That's just my opinion.

8. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I agree with you. Homophobia should be frowned on in schools and tackled just as racism and sexism are (or should be).

I think the UK, post-section 28, is getting better at this, but I really do think that tolerance should be on the curriculum. And that homosexuality should be actively talked about and discussed, not just, well, tolerated, if that makes sense.

But I'm glad that there is now at least some LGBT visibility in your school!!

9. AlmightyFluffy

My school has the largest population in the state..and yet only about six members in the GSA club. If you get past the flocks of homophobic white guys who try to act like gangstalicious in da hood, it's pretty accepting. In one of my classes I know a girl who openly kisses her girlfriend in public and holds hands to class. I always go 'awwww' in my mind when I see them.

10. Helen

Helen Guest

I thought my school was alright, considering Dubai is in a Muslim country, where homosexuality is illegal. But I was talking to the guys in my maths class a couple of days ago, and we got onto that subject, and I was utterly shocked by how much they seem to hate LBGT people. I knew one of them did (he actually said to me once 'homosexuals should die, it's right to deport them from here'), but the rest of them were spouting out all this stuff about it not being natural, and disgusting. I tried to explain to them that the majority don't exactly have a choice in whether they're gay or not, it's just who they are, but they didn't listen v_v

11. Trumpetplyer23

Sadly, you can't change the way people feel. I wish I could make the homophobes of the world see homosexuality in a positive light, but I can't. So I just ignore them. Sucks that those guys are assholes though.

As for homosexuality being visible, I know there are a few openly gay guys, but I don't think any of them are in a relationship and if they are, they aren't open about it. My neighbor went to my school, he's gay, but he graduated last year.

12. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

#

I deffinatly agree with both of you. It still feels that homosexuality is a subject that isn't really discussed much in schools. In my school there are advise and support helplines on these boards all around school from mental health, drug addiction, pregnancy, safe sex.... but absolutely nothing about sexuality.

I think, personally that this is one of the reasons it takes many people so long to come out - as in if you are questioning your sexuality you have to actively search for advise and help. I know from experience it took me ages to build up the courage to search for anything related to sexuality because I was so scared about it all.

But yer... I really think schools do need to discuss it more, so it stops being a strange idea that people don't understand and becomes just a part of everyday life... if that makes sense??

It was funny though, when I came out to one of my teachers she obviously had never had anything like that happen before - she even said she didn't really know any other gay people. And although she was brilliant and very supportive, she had no idea how to help - which also shows that it is not just pupils which need more education about the subject but teachers too.

I would love to be able to highlight some of these issues to my school as I hate to think there are other people in the same situation I am in - scared of coming out because of the fear of prejudice and rejection and having no idea what to do about it. I know how good it is to have positive and open gay/lesbians in a school community and hope that one day I will feel confident enough to come out and bring more awareness on the subject. :thumbsup: