1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ideal Life (For You)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by myheartincheck, Sep 2, 2013.

1. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey guys! A fellow ECer encouraged me to make this a thread so I will. :slight_smile:

If starting tomorrow you woke up to a perfect life what would it look like? You can have/be/own anything your heart desires. What are your secret wishes that you hide deep down thinking you can't have them? Your life is yours in this scenario and nobody can judge you.

So...
    what would your ideal life look like?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think my desires in life are too diverse to be squeezed into a unified grand design, but it would definitely involve a castle (with an enormous library), a number of vehicles/accompanying infrastructure for sea, air, and land, a game development studio giving me complete creative freedom, a lover who makes my heart beat really fast by the pure thought of them, and somebody to mentor, whether it's a student or my own kid.

Reading back over this is pretty materialistic, but hey, I'm spoiled XD. A more complete heaven I can't imagine, and hardly a fraction of that is probably deserved.

3. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey in this world you've earned it. And also in this world, "Materialism? What's that? It's ok to enjoy what you have."

:slight_smile:

4. RainyViolinist

I think all I would need is complete acceptance of LGBT+ folk, the perfect husband, a medical degree, and superpowers. Really, I probably would be fine with just superpowers :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. Who needs the rest when I can fire lasers from my eyes :lol:?

5. Tzoa

This is an interesting idea.

Hmm. I would have a doctorate, and have a small house by the sea. Well... not too small. I'd want a large, open kitchen with lots of windows and a large library/study, and a large wrap around deck. So maybe not small at all. :grin: I'd be self-sufficient, but have enough time on my hands to wake up slowly, go for a swim, and maybe even knit or read before I actually had to get to work. I'd be a few sizes smaller, and I'd have an amazing wardrobe with kick ass boots. And I'd have the inspiration, time and will-power to be an author.

I'd also have a dog (preferably a Newfoundland) and my partner and I would be madly in love and we would be talking about having kids. We wouldn't have them just yet (want to enjoy some peace with my partner before we bring in another family member) but we would both be excited about being parents. He or she would also be a morning person and would make me smoothies when I'm feeling especially lazy in the morning.

Haha! My post looks huge! I want lots, apparently.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heh, I also kept it to the confines of physical reality. But barring that? A crewed Star Destroyer I could take anywhere I wanted. Oh yeah.

7. Bolin

My ideal life would be one where I'm happy.

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would be happily married or in a long term relationship with the love of my life, in a nice/decent house in the suburbs, with one or two kids. I would be working as either an investigative journalist for a political news company or as an MLB baseball analyst for ESPN. Our entire family is happy, and loving to each other. We have our share of disagreements, but we get through them as a family. I live somewhat close to where I grew up, but far away enough to where I can really get a taste of what it's like to be away from home.

9. RainyViolinist

Who's to say that superpowers aren't in the confines of physical reality?:icon_eek:

10. I feel a little silly about my dream, but here it goes.

I will be a doctor and share my live with a woman I love who loves me back. We will have turned our home into an animal sanctuary, and we will travel around the world often. I will have plenty of time to practice martial arts, and we will cook every meal together.

Also this is a weird dream of mine that I've never told anyone, but I would love it if my significant other and I spoke to each other in Latin, and it could be like our own secret language because hardly anyone speaks Latin anymore.

Also, if we had kids, we would teach them ASL and many foreign languages from an early age.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A daring place to venture in discussion, but I guess it depends on your definition of superpowers. If you're talking comic book-style awesomeness, it's safe to say a lot of that stuff could never happen. But in our own personal fantasy world it can hehe.

12. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I'd be a cisman, comfortable in my own skin, with the ability to keep people interested in conversing with me for more than ten minutes.

And I'd be a brilliant, published novelist. Personal Milenium Falcon may be included.

13. Just Jess

I'd have a mountain cabin in Alaska. A close drive to a city but otherwise I could just escape whenever I wanted. I'd probably have one of those solar panel roofs. I'd have internet and just a fully stocked home lab. I'd have a bunch of open source projects and for profit projects under my belt and would spend just half my day funding other people's kickstarters and the other half tinkering with my own.

14. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LoL That's ok here. It's a safe zone where dreams come true. :grin:

Hey, hey, physical reality doesn't have to hinder you here unless you let it. XP
    That's not silly. That's an awesome life!!! I love ASL too btw and the Latin is a nice touch! :thumbsup:

15. Saint Otaku

My ideal life would be one in which I was never bored, which is quite vague. A milestone I would someday like to reach, but not live my entire life for, involves three steps:
    1.) Earn a Doctorate
    2.) Earn a Barbering licence
    3.) Open an old-style barber shop called "Doctor Barber's Shop" in reverence of that strange cartoon. It is necessary that Sondheim's "Sweeney Todd" be playing on a big-screen TV on a constant loop.

Yes, that is my dream.

16. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm enjoying reading all of these! :grin:

17. vinznitintin27

Floating around the internet. City of Angels
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Oooooooohh..interesting thread. :slight_smile: I like this..
    Let's see..well I'd really just like to be with a my wife in a house near the beach with an L shaped pool in the back and a small corner for campfires. LOL. Two kids, girl and boy. A dog, a husky. And I wouldn't be a nurse. I'd have a McDonalds franchised. LOL.

18. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a daydreamer of professional proportions, I'd recommend you get your glasses on before reading this. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It's a bit of a whopper size-wise (and reads, retrospectively, like A Day in the Life of: Martha Stewart), so if you get bored halfway through I'll understand:

For starters I'd wake up next to someone, rather than alone. I'd also wake up earlier (I can't stand sleeping past 8 AM, and lately I've been abed until 10 or 11, due to my work schedule...) and a bit fitter than I am now (but I honestly don't mind being on the sturdier side, so only a little smaller.)

I'd also wake up in my East Hampton estate's (which I have drawn up plans for already, all the way down to dish towels and doorknobs) master suite next to my husband. He is probably some type of artist, lawyer, investment banker, or college professor. I get out of bed, potter through the hallway, down the stairs, basking in the morning sun that floods through my ample windows, and into my dream kitchen. I make myself a cup of tea, my husband some coffee, feed my cat and dog, and rustle us up my personal favorite breakfast of champions: a poached egg on a thick wedge of homemade bread toasted to perfection and lavished with softened butter. Back upstairs we go, newspaper picked up from the entryway along the way.

Laying in bed, watching the news, reading The New York Times, eating, and discussing the day ahead, we bask in contentment. Then he gets up and prepares for work, while I make the bed, and clean up from breakfast. After seeing him off to work I ready myself, then walk across the yard to my "office" where I write articles, cookbooks, novels, and blogs, test recipes, and even host events where I wouldn't want people strolling through my house.

After I polish off an article for some magazine or a review for some newspaper, I call one of my friends - who, like all my friends, somehow manage to live on my same street and ask if they want to go out for lunch and some shopping, since I've got an event coming up (maybe a judging gig on Iron Chef: America, or maybe a stand-up gig to celebrate Joan Rivers turning 50 - for the 20th time) and I'll need something to wear.

We shop, walk around town, discuss life in general and my friend's recent family vacation. Then we head back to their house and we whip up some chocolate chip cookies for a charity event benefitting the local animal shelter where my friend is the chairperson. After that I head home, and call my husband to tell him I love him.

Later on, while I'm working on a book, my mom calls to tell me that she'll be arriving in East Hampton shortly (not last minute, she'll divide the four seasons amongst my three siblings and myself, staying with us for a few weeks each year), so I prepare the guest room for her and start preparing for dinner. Then I pick up my mother from the airport, stop at the store for some champaign, and return home. My husband has already arrived, and greets us at the door. We all enjoy each other's company, the food, and the feeling of feeling loved.

Obviously this is incredibly dull, but I like a certain sort of calm when it comes to my idealized version of life. And admittedly, I ran out of steam after the first few paragraphs. But hey, cut me some slack - it's been a long day. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'm not sure if children fit into my ideal life or not. It varies depending on the day. And I'd own at least two other prices of property too. My English country manor house, and a Carrie-Bradshaw-esque apartment in New York City. I'd definitely be a writer and comedian. My friends would all live on my street, as mentioned above (but ironically my family wouldn't...)

This dream-life changes daily, the only real thing remaining constant is the husband and the house. Everything else is negotiable. :slight_smile:

19. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    *puts on glasses* :sunglasses:

20. Living in a very small house or nice apartment with my partner, married. Making enough money to not worry about paying our bills or student loans. She's a librarian and I'm a college professor. We still drink shitty beer on special occasions, wear off-brand clothes and for fun, we read to each other every night. I spend a lot of time thinking about things, reading and learning. I have some close friends and colleagues who are as deeply passionate about the things I teach as I am and we fulfill each other's intellectual fix.