1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting Article On The Topic of Pedophilia

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AmityRanch, Sep 2, 2013.

1. AmityRanch

Basically, pedophiles aren't bad people.

I had these views LONG before I even knew this article existed, I just couldn't (and still can't) put it into precise words.
    This should help me out a bit.

http://www.commonatheist.com/ped.htm

It's a shame how much scrutiny non-offending pedophiles have to put up with in our society. I hope it ends soon.

Edit:
    Sorry for the screw up. I swear I wrote the link down.
    How embarassing... ^_^'

#1 AmityRanch, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  2. RainyViolinist

I don't think you put the link in...

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Link, please.

4. AmityRanch

I fixed it! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Without the link, I agree with the OP. Pedophilia isn't depravity. The only offense comes when you apply your desires to kids who aren't ready and have no business doing sexual activities.

6. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I agree, just because somebody is attracted to children, doesn't mean they will actually molest them.

7. RainyViolinist

Ok, now I know what to say! Yeah pedophiles aren't necessarily bad people. They become bad once they act on their desires. Still, when I was reading the article, I couldn't help but think of the word "pedophile" in a negative connotation. It's probably because we always see on the news how some pedophile molested a child. I also couldn't help but think about what happened if I interchanged the word pedophile with "gay" and other similar terms into the article. It was somewhat disturbing to read it in that manner.

8. blueberrymuffin

It's not a certainty they'll ever act on it, but there's a good chance they will, though the stigma doesn't help as they can't even see a shrink or talk about it. I saw on a 'debate forum' once this guy made a thread "Ask a pedophile." Well, i don't know if he was actually a pedo, but he was promptly ripped to shreds, as if we're the thought police.

We tend to associate pedos with priests and jerry sandusky type monsters, but I'm sure there are some who never act on their urges, and that has to be a really difficult life. Some even go so far as voluntary castration.

9. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well I do think it's foolish and absolutely counterproductive the way certain people (especially grandstanding armchair warriors on the internet) stigmatize the issue, nobody would ever want to admit to having pedophiliac tendencies, even though for whatever reason there certainly are such people out there.

People who are pedophiles obviously have something wrong in their brain that is causing them to have such impulses, we should be creating an environment where they feel comfortable seeking treatment and help for their problem, rather than pushing them underground into secrecy, where they would actually end up abusing children.

10. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    I remember being on another forum and one of the posters claimed to be a pedophile (one of the "good" ones) in a thread. It did not end well.

11. vrrml

i don't think that that is the answer either. just like you can't stop people being gay, you also can't prevent who a pedophile is attracted to. The difference being that children can't consent, therefore, like the article said, their only choice is to never act on their feelings.

12. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think that, politically, it's not a good idea to make this analogy. Also, whether or not pedophilia is a legitimate sexual orientation is still debatable.

13. endear

Reminds me of the quote "honor among thieves"
    I strongly disagreed with author's connection between rape and sex. They are 2 different things. Rape is not about sec. It is an act of violence. Much as if someone stuck a paintbrush through anothers eye, we would not call that art but would call it violence.

14. Kid fiddlers & non offending peddys are bad people...Hello what is a grown adult doing destroying some kids life for their sexual pleasures & desires....Or even thinking about it and getting aroused.

Very worrying that someone posts a thread like this.

15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

There's nothing inherently harmful about an adult having attraction to children. But they can't have sex with children, because there is no possible consent. There is no harm in a paedophile who never has sex with children, and we shouldn't ostracise someone; almost all things stigmatised are made worse because of the shame and hatred.

You're contributing to the problem of refusing to actually consider the science behind paedophilia, instead saying it's wrong to even consider them as decent humans. It's not very tolerant. None of us are supporting adults having sex with children, but you're demonising people.

16. Pocky

Just to make it even more confusing, not all people who sexually assault children are paedophiles either.

There's more or less no ability to measure the true rate of paedophilia. However, it would not surprise me if there was at least one in every school.

In most cases, it comes down to educating children about what is appropriate behaviour from an adult. Few people who fit the criteria of paedophile will be the guy in a while van giving out lollies. They will generally develop a relationship over time and be known to the victim and the victim's family.

#16 Pocky, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  17. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I first discovered I had a fetish, I wondered if pedophilia was something similar.. And I still think it is. Pedophilia isn't an immoral thing when it's not acted upon. Only when someone who can't consent is involved is when it becomes immoral. It's kind of like chubby chasing, except the person on the other end can't consent.

18. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. Since they can differenciate moral from immoral in their heads and instead they choose the 'moral' path, this means they are not bad people.
    Of course, an immoral pervert who rapes and destroys a child's life deserves the worst kind of punishment, but if they choose to abstain from sex because they know that the kind of sex they want is immoral and hurtful, that means that they are good people.
    Since when self-sacrifise for the sake of morality was bad?

19. Emulator

They're not necessarily bad, but if the matter gets out of hand then yes, perhaps. Paedophiles aren't going to let themselves go just like that and assault a child. Generally arguments like these don't often end very positively though.

20. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to ask this because I've heard this one a lot, but can being molested really turn someone into a pedophile? I know that some young children who've been abused in turn abuse other kids because they don't know any better, but as they get older, do some of them really stay pedophiles for life?