1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get into a university?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by person57, Sep 2, 2013.

1. person57

So I'm currently making life plans and I decided that I'm going to go to college, preferably a university. How can I get a scholarship to a university? I usually get A's and B's. Is that good enough? What other tips do you have?

2. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you have any idea what sort of programme you would like to take? For instance, Arts, or Science? Because there is some advice specific to certain paths. In general, though, receiving good grades will certainly help you. Another thing you will want to do is become involved in extracurricular activities of some sort (sports, clubs, music, theatre, anything) and put in volunteer hours (preferably in a few different places). This not only reflects well on an application, but it also provides you with contacts who will be willing to act as references, and can give you a better idea of what you might like to study.

3. person57

I'm not really sure about the sort of programme I'm interested in. I'm thinking of going to a performing arts college. I love music, theatre, and all kinds of performing arts. I also thought about being a writer, but I don't know if you need college for that. I also thought of being a gay rights activist, do I need college for that? I'm in Drama class. I'm also willing to take music lessons. I'm thinking of joining cross country some day. My favorite subjects are Math and English.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be honest, it's a bit too early to figure out what you like to study at university or what your life is going to look like. You are only 14! Keep studying for your high school subjects, and after you have completed grade 10 or 11, then start thinking about what you would like to do, including what you would like to take at college or university.

It's great that you have some interests, but at this point in your life, I can guarantee you that your 'life plans' are going to change 100 times. :slight_smile:

5. It does depend a lot on what you want to study, and what kind of career you want to have. It also matters what type of school you want to attend.

Generally, a lot goes into a college application, including GPA, class rigor, standardized test(s), extracurricular and co-curricular activities, volunteer work, employment, personal statements, letters of recommendations, and status as an underrepresented minority or legacy.

The first step is to decide what you want to do. I'm only familiar with science-based careers, which generally do require higher education. Without college, a lot of doors are closed to future opportunities.

For you, the first step is getting a general idea of what you want to do in the future, and figuring out what kind of education you need for that. Other qualifications may exist depending on your location. You can search for resources online for ask people with those professions.

Getting into a school of performing arts probably requires you to audition, which is in addition to an application for admission. Each school handles admissions differently, so when you decide which path you want to pursue, research each school.

I would not think that a college degree is necessary to become a writer, but more education probably helps your writing skills, which will attract editors and publishers to your writing. You don't need college to be a gay rights activist, but in order to make money and know what you're saying, it probably helps to have formal education in political science or a related field.

Do you know the difference between a college and a university? A university isn't necessarily better to "attend" than a college. In fact, when you attend a university, chances are you are attending a college within the university. A university is made up of a collection of colleges--at least that's how we make the distinction in the United States.

About scholarships: You just apply. Look for scholarship applications online and just submit an application.

#5 phospholipase, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2013
  6. person57

Thank you for your answers :slight_smile: