1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breaking Up Over Body Modifications

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AmityRanch, Sep 3, 2013.

1. AmityRanch

Like, what if your partner decided to get some sort of body modification, like a mouth plate, or a split tongue and they didn't tell you in ahead of time?

How would you respond?
    Would the relationship go on?
    Would you break up with them?
    If you were to break up with them, how would you go about it?

As shallow as it sounds, the relationship would definitely be over for me.
    I don't want to sound bigoted or anything, I just wouldn't be able to handle it.
    I'd let him off lightly, of coarse.
    I wouldn't be a jerk about it.

Leave your thoughts below (if you want).

2. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Mouth plate? Split tongue? Yeah, major deal breakers.

How I'd go about it? "Bye."

3. Stephany

Speaking from a married point of view...it'd take a lot more than that to get me to jump ship. I love the soul of the person I am with. I think that is why I am "gender blind". When I look at my husband I don't see a walking penis that I get to judge physically. I see a beautiful human being with compassion, wit, humor, intelligence... all I look into are his eyes and what an amazing soul I see.

So no, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

4. Rigby

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't leave my husband for that. I might be shocked, but I wouldn't leave.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hear those split tongues can do some amazing things ;D

But seriously, it's not massively different to if I got another tattoo or something. It might take some getting used to but I don't THINK it would be enough to break us up...

6. AmityRanch

I can totally understand where you're coming from, and I personally wish I could feel the same way... but I'm selfish... sorry about that...

You win the medal for best person of the year. *applauds*

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't deny it would be strange to come home one day and see your partner sitting there with a stretched out face...

"I know what you're thinking BUT it was on SALE, what was I gonna do, just NOT get the lip disk!?"

8. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Well... I'll still be with them and see how it goes.

9. Minx

My attraction would wilt a tiny bit as I like them as they were, But it wouldn't effect my affection for them in the slightest.

I don't own their body/decisions, and they definitely don't own mine.

10. Bolin

The fact that they didn't tell me or consult with me about something major like a body modification would be foreshadowing of their closed-mouth tendencies on bigger issues, so it'd possibly be a deal-breaker for me, depending on how he'd react while having the inevitable conversation about their body modification and lack of consulting me beforehand.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It wouldn't be a deal-breaker, but I'd be pretty angry and disappointed. It's their body and not mine so they don't need my "permission" so to speak, but seeing as I'd still be affected, I'd expect to be asked for my approval. Or at the very least warned that they're going to do it.

I don't generally like body mods. To me they're a heaping plate of nope.

12. timo

I'd be mostly disappointed that they wouldn't have mentioned it before (I mean, even if it's just a piercing I'd be like "I want to get [x] pierced tomorrow!"), but I think I'd be okay with the mod itself. Though some (facial tattoos!) would make me very, very sad. And angry. And I'm honestly not sure if I could handle something very extreme.

13. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wedding/commitment rings =/= dog collars. I wouldn't want to control my partner's life choices. My significant other would be free to modify himself however he chose - as would I. I don't have to like it - nor would he if I were the one who wanted to massively alter myself. He is the only one that has to live with it forever.

Sure, I'd have to look at it, but I'd get used to it or find something else to look at.

If we were together long-term, I'd easily let it slide. Of our relationship was still beginning, it might change my perspective on him, but it probably wouldn't cause me to run off.

Hopefully we'd discuss it beforehand, but I staunchly believe it is up to individual discretion what modifications are ultimately undergone.

14. Naren

If I was in a relationship and they wanted a body modification, what right do I have to judge them or break up with them because of it?

15. Hrantou

Doesn't bother me. It's their body. If they wanna pierce it, cut it, or whatever, go right ahead. Now if they cut their dick off, we might have a problem.

16. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It really depends on what they did. If they got a full-body tattoo, I'd be extremely upset. I don't think I would leave, at least not automatically. It really takes a lot for me to break up with someone, and it's usually because how they change emotionally.

17. LinkLarkin

I was going to write my own response but these just about summarise my opinions.

18. Stephany

Lol.. no medals... def. not best person of the year.

You have every right to be selfish! It's human nature. I'm selfish about things... especially when it comes to my kids or the house I have or the car I drive.

I just gave my opinion on the question you asked. If you asked the question "Would I leave someone if they decided to quit the corporate world and decided to live "off the land" then heck yes I'd leave... I'm just as selfish..just in different ways.

19. Belle

It would definitely catch me by surprise, but I don't think that it would cause me to not like the person anymore. I guess I would only end the relationship if it caused them to change as a person.

20. this ^ other people's bodies are not my business, even my partner's. I wouldn't appreciate other people making decisions about my body, even my partner.

again, hopefully we'd have talked about it (but not because i'm part of the decision, but because we talk about things in our lives) but even if not, it's not really my business.