1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talent contests

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Paul_UK, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

After the moderate success of the first EC talent contest and the failure of the second one, what do you all think we should do with the idea from now onwards?

Do we want more talent contests? If so, what sort of talents do we want to have competitions for? It obviously needs to be things that can be demonstrated via the Internet (without involving any unusual or expensive technology).

Further artistic contests, either on paper or electronically?

Writing contests (short stories or poetry for example)?

Musical contests (assuming people have the means to record and submit their performances as MP3 or whatever)?

Votes for best galleries or blog entries?

What else? All ideas welcomed. If enough people are interested in an idea and think they would take part in such a contest we'll run it.

2. LorenzG1950

Hi Paul,

Here are few that would interest me:

photo of the month
    short stories
    poetry, song lyrics
    500 word essay on hot topics affecting the GLBT community

Sorry, I just didn't have time to join in the last contest and my creativity was wanked. Or maybe I was wanking too much to be creative. But that's a different thread :slight_smile: .

3. GuitarGirl1350

I'd love to see a musical talents one. People could sing, play an instrument, etc.
    I think the reason the last contest failed was because not alot of people know their way around Photoshop, and it was a tough subject to work on. (I didn't get mine done in time, I know.)

I think photography would be good too. =]]

4. Qu_

Qu_ Guest

I'm electronically artistcally challenged...hence my lack of an entry.

5. nisomer

i would like to see music and writing :slight_smile:

6. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Ooo, im an essay geek so i have several entries even if a contest is not initiated, i would be interested in posting them here.

So far, in relevancy to GLBT peoples:
    The History Of Discrimination, A Legacy of Affirmative Action.

Although there is only one, true creativity has to be spontainious so there may or may not be more to come soon.. and i think thats why we haven't seen great prosperity in the second competition.

MY VOTE IS:

EC currently does not have the required traffic to have a thriving contest. I decline the idea for continuing such competitions.

7. Micah

Bah! So sad it didnt work out. If you need me I'll be sulking in the corner / planning my revenge.

8. TriBi

Hey!!!

We mere mortals can't help it if you're the only talented :slight_smile:grin:slight_smile: one around here...

9. nisomer

i still say we try out another one....hey we had one success and one failure. do we quit right after the failure?

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Best of three, I reckon! So one more (once we have decided what to do), and if that gets a few entries we'll keep going. We're not expecting loads of entries, but if we can get about half a dozen that's enough for a fun competition.

11. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

I think we'd get more turnout if it was a open competition....whoevers talented at whatever it is they do....the practicality is questionable and my mind is groggy from the immunization needles today but that's what i'm thinking.

I'll send in the essay, someone might send in a sketch, another a poem....let the best win. Base the votes on voice and calibur of work.... anyway i'm off for a nap, feel at liberty to tell me i'm crazy, right now i feel it lol.

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

If it's too open though it is difficult to compare entries. Perhaps we just say what type of entry, such as "a poem" or "a painting or drawing" but don't specify a theme? So it could be a poem about anything, or a painting/drawing of anything. Wound that help get more entries, while still giving us entries that can reasonably be compared and judged against each other?

13. tired_of_lying411

I think that sounds swell. And the less restricted the media (if it was an artistic challenge) the easier it would be to enter... I think.

14. step49x

Going along with the above post, you could try just setting a theme or topic, and letting people submit whatever type of media they wanted.

15. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    I agree with Stephen, because I think the freedom of the particular medium is what made the first competition a considerable success. Also, I don't know about everyone else, but I personally like themes; they tend to inspire me more.

Yes! I used a semi-colon!

Sorry.

16. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

OK, so who would you all react if we had a talent contest which said, for example:

The theme is "music". You are welcome to enter anything related to this theme that can be submitted electronically and placed on a webpage for judging.

That could allow for artwork, creative writing, poetry, performances as audio or video files, etc.

Would something like that work?

17. William1

Cool, I already have something that can be submitted. :icon_bigg

18. nisomer

19. biggayguy

I have a poem or two that can fit.

20. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This thread is six years old. Let's put it to rest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.