1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catholic School News

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Munyal, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Munyal

So, I've posted before that I am at a Catholic school.

I was expecting an environment very against gay people. Really all anybody seems to be against is abortion. :eusa_doh:

There are at least 2 other people in my grade that just set my gaydar off, which makes me laugh.:lol:

Anybody else go to Catholic school and have this sort of experience?

2. No....but I was raised Catholic, go to Church, and grew up watching Catholic tv shows for kids, which is basically where I learned what abortion was. lol

But yeah I think they're still against homosexuality but the Catholic Church hates abortion way more from my experience at least

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, but I'd bet that some Catholics would treat someone who has had an abortion better than someone who is GLBT because the abortion is an event and being GLBT is more of a permanent state of being. There are still some conservative wings of Catholicism.

4. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school for 18 years (preschool, kindergarten, elementary school (grades 1-8), high school (grades 9-12), and university (4-year degree).

There is a lot of diversity within the broad category of "Catholics" as to what they believe, how seriously they believe it, and what their views about gays are.

Typically American Catholics in cities in liberal areas, like the Northeast and West Coast and Upper Midwest, will be liberal themselves. (Massachusetts is one of the most Catholic states in America, and also one of the most liberal, being the first state to legalize same-sex marriage back in 2004).

On the other hand, Catholics in rural conservative areas will often be conservative themselves. For example, Franciscan University of Steubenville, in Ohio, is very conservative and anti-gay.

Also in the case of schools it can also depend on which order is running it. Jesuits are the most liberal order and Jesuit schools typically are much more liberal and tolerant.

I went to Jesuit schools in New York City and Massachusetts, so the environment was fairly open and accepting. (My Catholic high school was actually in the NYC gayborhood of Chelsea, so there were rainbow flags in the church and LGBT Masses held there).

On the other hand, I have heard horror stories of people going to Catholic schools in rural areas run by more conservative orders.

5. LILuke

It seems to me more and more that the Catholic Church [Note: I'm speaking institutionally, not about individuals] is starting to realize that the fight against LGBT rights is lost in the long run, and they're turning their attention to the anti-abortion fight which they're actually winning in the Court of Public Opinion at the moment. It's a fairly surprising trend, though one that other Christian groups don't seem to be mimicking, but every time I go take my younger brother to one of those "Catholic Youth Groups" that he loves to go to it seems more and more evident that the rhetoric is starting to be aimed elsewhere.

6. Hrantou

I went to a catholic high school. When I was there, it wasn't very open about the gay subject. There was one guy who was openly gay at my school but he got bullied out, but really that can happen at any school. At my school it was all "Who is he sleeping with?" or "Is she pregnant?" or "She slept with all those guys?!" You know, usual modern high school stuff. I even ran into people who didn't care or were very accepting about it too. Gay was never brought up honestly. I even hear at my old school that there is an openly gay guy and no one really bothers him about it.

Like LILuke said, I think the church is realizing that its fight against LGBT is going to lose steam and end eventually. As the older generation dies off, the newer one that is growing up is much more tolerant and I think they are (just barely) starting to see that.

#6 Hrantou, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  7. My ex gf went to a all girls Catholic school & she was open about being a lesbian & never got any trouble in relation to her sexuality. I think many people think God lovers are anti, but a true God lover doesn't give a hoot!

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a lot of friends at a strict Catholic girls' school. Most of them are far more liberal and mature than my public school friends. Another Catholic school near me is known for having the largest amount of out gay students.