1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a reason Americans dislike Canada (Canadians)?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Alexander69

I'm just wondering I always see in American TV shows jokes made about Canada. It's really annoying. I find that Americans are uneducated about Canada, it's bad enough I have heard yes this is true I had American ask why I speak "American" if I am Canadian shouldn't I speak "Canadian". Another asked if we really live in igloos. I've heard snide comments from Americans, Americans make jokes about how cold it is here when really it's not that cold in all areas, just becuase I'm Canadian I've been called a "faggot" just for being Canadian that's all they don't even know me or anything about me besides the country I come from.

I travel to the states a lot and it's not that different from Canada although I will say..... Not to be hypocritical here but people are more aggressive and rude. (Sorry) especially in New York yikes. I was in Texas one of my relatives lived there and people are so prejudice. Especially the older people. Don't get me wrong there were tons of nice people too, just don't mention homosexuality to them. Plus my family in the states are republicans, wow America takes politics soooo much more seriously than Canada. Why? But let me tell you one wife was talking about how her daughter was marrying a democrat....... I know they are opposite parties but why I that a shameful act? I don't get it?

Also I find LA is so polluted, it's beautiful but there is so much smog and so many people. But I would still move there :wink: lots of hot guys. Negative side my brothers girl friend lives in LA.

I wouldn't mind moving to Italy it's so beautiful OMG I want to move there have a villa there, I wonder if my parents would have an issue with me moving there :O since they would buy me the villa haha. There is just so much history in Italy. I havnt been yet I want to go alone without family. Go to Florence.

But ya back to topic, is there a legitimate reason that America's specifically dislike Canada and make fun of us and really have no idea about our country? I mean I know things about America but that's becuase I go a lot.

2. Americans don't really hate Canada. They're just uneducated. Americans get hit by fat jokes and redneck jokes so our two countries have different reputations.

I think being married to a person with a different political affiliation is shameful to some people because... well they're just two people with different political affiliations. A lot of people would think that they'll get divorced because of their political views.

Although America is less accepting than Canada, some of the areas (like New York and other northeast areas, Seattle, San Francisco, West Hollywood) are fairly accepting.

3. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

---------- Post added 4th Sep 2013 at 04:27 PM ----------

This is the dumbest thing i've read in 2013 so far :lol:

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Canada has been demonized in American politics for its health care system, because to them Obamacare is socialized medicine which will destroy America, just like it did to Canada!!!! (LIE! The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act aka "Obamacare" is a new set of regulations on the insurance companies.)

5. Night

Night Guest

I think most of the jokes are just in good fun, like Canada being referred to as the United States' Hat.

6. photoguy93

It's easy for people here to make fun of Canada because no one actually wants to face the truth and realize it's a great place where (gasp!) health care isn't a fucked up mess!

And I think we're also made that Canada gave us Justin Bieber....

7. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find Canada to be a bit of Europe in the continent of America....if we exclude Justin Bieber of course.

---------- Post added 4th Sep 2013 at 05:57 PM ----------

[Western] Europe*

8. Feijoa

A lot of the ribbing between America and Canada is comparable to New Zealand and Australia; England and Scotland. Some of it is based in politics and history, whilst even more stems from a competitive rivalry.

Canada is great though! Love Toronto and want to spend time in BC soon

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Possibly because of this, and only more recently. Before that, the joke was about the accent, and not much more. If I'm on the phone with a call center, I know if it's in Canada in about 30 seconds. It isn't even about the "eh." It's about the voice modulation over the course of a sentence.

With that off my chest, I don't know a single American who badmouths Canadians. The usual comment is "Oh, it's so beautiful up there."

10. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

We're Americans. We're uneducated about everybody.

11. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah. I actually know a lot of liberals (myself included) who practically worship Canada. The joke throughout both the 2008 and 2012 elections was that were McCain or Romney elected, everyone would shuttle off to Canada.

We poke fun at Canada but all in good jest. I myself would gladly shuttle up to Canada in a heartbeat if I had no prior obligations. :slight_smile:

12. Mysz

Haven't heard any American say something bad about Canada. The few jokes I heard weren't said in malice :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    SSHHH! We'd better keep a low profile then...and increase the frequency with which we say sorry to their tourists....:dry:

(Can Canadians keep an even lower profile than we have already? I'm sure we can sink to the challenge...)

14. endear

I live in United States and was unaware of any dislike for Canada. I personally love Canada! I even work with 2 Canadians and wouldn't have known that if they hadnt told me. But I have been teased a time or two about being "ditzy" and a little slow to catch on to things, and often called blonde (which I am not). :eusa_thin

15. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've actually sensed more negativity from Canadians toward Americans. They think that some of us are hicks (well, some are) and that we are more forward and louder (some find it amusing, and others find it mildly obnoxious).

16. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really sure where the joking started, but honestly I think we make fun because you guys are things figured out better then us.

You guys have:
    Better Health Care.
    Better Banking System.
    Better access to Medications.

Plus, I think there is something in the air, you tend to be better looking.

17. I agree with one of the posts here that it's all just jokes and fun. Our countries are kind of like brothers: sometimes don't really get along great (republicans here criticizing Canada's health care, and Canadians dissing our more conservative governing style) but generally love each other and are very friendly and respectful. And come from the same mother (Britain). I love Canada and hope to live in Toronto one day.

18. Lindsey23

Personally, I love Canada. I went to Vancouver once and thought it was a great city with lots of friendly people. I agree with what others have said that the jokes about Canadians are not mean spirited. I have heard a lot of criticism about the healthcare system up there...but it isn't a dig to the Canadian people, just a difference in opinions. That's my take on it anyway.

You make a good point that Americans are uneducated about Canada and we really have no good reasons for all the jokes. Sorry about that. :/

19. Harve

20. QueerQueen

America and Canada both hate on each other, Canadians think American's are not that intelligent and Americans dislike the way Canadians talk, there are probably other reasons for both, but that's besides the point. I'm Canadian though, and don't think badly about America or the people that are part of it. Honestly without America, Canada wouldn't have a lot of things.