1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raw video of *huge* tornado in Colorado

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EthanS, May 23, 2008.

1. EthanS

EthanS Guest

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfYuT0oalXQ&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]ooomggg that is one scary tornado!

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That kind of thing usually doesn't happen in Colorado! I bet it scared the heck out of them!

3. panda

4. Alexander

Wow, you can even see the hail and stuff coming down on the road *gasp*

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fifty miles north of me. Strangely, we didn't get anything but very light sprinkles (and a bit of wind) here in Denver. But that's often the case with storms like these - very destructive, but very localized.

The hail wiped out some crops, too, which sucks. We actually have had a decent rainfall this year...

About ten years ago, the Denver Botanic Gardens staged an exhibit of water lillies from around the world. The day the exhibit opened, we were hit with a massive hailstorm, which destroyed every single specimen. Oops.

Lex

6. Beebo

Thats scary, Thank god for canada, our winters might be cold, but we dont have to deal with that.

7. Nodnarb

Meh....so what. Out here in Iowa, we bring tornadoes to football games as mascots. From wikipedia:

The "Tornado Game" has to be one of my favorites of all time. Jack Trice Stadium was louder than I have ever heard it that night.

8. Atom

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    now that is truly the sublime.

they should really put some classical music in the background, like chopin's fantasie impromptu, because that's what i was listening to while watching the video. it's like when you have those big destructive scenes happening and they put up cheerful or classical music in the background.

9. SlickyPants

It is pretty rare that anything that bad happens but there was a huge twister just outside of Winnipeg last year that was kind of scary. My younger brother was a pizza delivery driver so I was a bit worried about him. Fortunately it didn't touch the city but it destroyed a good chunk of some smaller town.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEUXr6FMtWk&[/YOUTUBE]

10. EthanS

EthanS Guest

dat one looks werid, if any of them was in UK i dont kno what we'l do lol coz these never happen here only very small ones

11. motleyjunkie

ahhh that gives me the heeby jeebys
    thats crazy

12. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That reminds me of the tornado we had in downtown Atlanta back in March. It happened during an SEC tournament basketball game. And a Hawks game in another arena.

Tornadoes scare the living crap out of me.

13. Nodnarb

I'm going to take this moment to take back my comment about tornadoes being no big deal.

First, I'd like to make sure Dan and his family is OK. I know he is from Waterloo, and that area of the state was hit hard last night. 7 people in Parkersburg and New Hartford were killed, and there is hardly anything left of Parkersburg.

Also, last night was the first time in my life that I truly felt like I was about to die. Me, my dad, my grandpa, and two family friends went to the races at I-80 Speedway in Greenwood, Nebraska. At about 7 PM, we noticed storm clouds coming in from the West. I just brushed it off, but my dad said "It looks like we're going to get wet soon." At about 7:15 people started glancing over their shoulders nervously because the sky was getting darker and the clouds were looking more threatening.

Just before 7:30 I noticed that a lot of people were getting up and leaving the stands, and I turned around to see almost everybody in the rows above us standing up and heading to the aisles. I sorta laughed and made fun of them for running away at the first sign of rain. It was during the middle of the first Super Late Model heat race, so I was annoyed that they were all blocking my view.

My dad and I stayed sitting and watching the race until it got over. Then, it was announced that "Everyone should make their way down to the Checkered Flag Bar and Grill to wait for about 30 minutes for track officials to decide whether or not to continue the show tonight." Dad got up and said "So....I guess..." I stood up and glanced up at the sky. It was getting darker and there were napkins and other light things like french fry trays and hamburger wrappers floating through the air. Still, I didn't think much of it.

As we got out of the stands and down on to the concourse and started heading towards the parking lot I looked out towards the end of the stands and saw a huge cloud of dirt blowing towards the track. People started running and covering their faces with their jackets. Over the rest of the noise you could here the announcer say "You can take shelter in the restrooms underneath the stands to wait this storm out". Dad stopped walking and yelled "we should go there" and turned and started running towards the restrooms.

It took me a second realize what he was doing, but I turned and ran after him. There was a huge crowd of people just running and looking confused, and I could hear some people screaming. We went underneath the stands and I heard a little girl scream and a woman reached out and grabbed her and they turned and ran too. Just then a huge gust of wind hit and I almost lost my balance. I remember small rocks and other things hitting me in the face, but I didn't really notice them.

Then I looked out behind the buildings underneath the stands and all I saw was a completely pitch black wall. With that, and how strong the wind was, all I could think was "Oh my God. It's a tornado. We're all going to die here." I kept running and we got the the restroom. There was already at least 100 people in there. I was still freaking out, but somebody said that it was just 70 mph winds, and that there wasn't any tornado. After a few minutes without everything around us being ripped away by a tornado I finally believed him and relaxed a bit.

We ended up staying in the restroom during the storm for about 45 minutes. There wasn't much damage, but all the trash had been blown up along the fences and some people had lost things that they weren't holding on to. The rain created a huge problem with the dirt roads and we were stuck at the track for four hours before we were finally able to head home.

Thankfully, nobody at there was hurt and there was no major damage that I was able to see.

14. Zūn Jìng

Zūn Jìng Guest

I am fine thank you for your concern we only got a few things of thunder:-/ Waterloo is usually pretty lucky about these thing. Parkersburg is about 10-15 miles away from here so yeah.

15. Nodnarb