1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ski and Snowboarding

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Duplexaxis, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Duplexaxis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Any keen skiers and snowboarders out there? What's your gear?

Snowboarder here on a Burton custom flying v.

Snowboarding especially still strikes me as one of the more homophobic sports, more a boys club. I havent come out to any of my snowboarding friends as they always making 'no homo' comments whenever they so much as touch another guy. Anyone else experienced this?

2. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Skier, but not totally serious. I can do every mapped trail on every mountain I've been to (except for the Palisades at Squaw Valley), but I prefer to stay on moguly black diamond slopes (if the mountain has black and double blacks, otherwise just easy black diamonds). I have Rossignol Zenith z7 or something like that, I'm too lazy to check.

---------- Post added 4th Sep 2013 at 07:43 PM ----------

As for the "homophobic" thing, I don't think any more than most sports. Lots of sports are pretty bad about that.

3. English Frenchman

Skiing is one of my great loves; I’ve been to a few places around the world, most notably in Colorado, Vermont, Montreal, The Atlas Mountains in Morocco, The Swiss, The French, and The Italian Alps, and the Spanish Pyrenees.
    By far, my favorites were Vermont and French Alps.

I’ve tried snowboarding, but due to my dyspraxia, it’s not meant for me. I like the control skiing gives you; Plus, everyone on the slope hates the beginner snowboarder. They always take all the light, powdery snow off, because since they’re beginners, they suck. All that’s left is the hard, compact, ice-like snow, which is annoying.

4. Brightsky

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love snowboarding, this will be my 16th year boarding.

I've got a k2 www that Ive had for a few years now, looking at getting a new Rome snowboard this winter.

The best place I've been too would have to be whistler.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I enjoy(ed) skiing. I has gotten more expensive, both for tickets and to keep up with equipment changes, that I let go of it.

I've only gone skiing around Lake Tahoe, since there are many resorts to choose from in one area, and I've been to Northstar, Sierra at Tahoe, Kirkwood, and Alpine Meadows, though never the 2 biggies: Heavenly Valley and Squaw Valley.

Snowboarding does not interest me. I like the feeling of control skiing gives you, as also mentioned here. I KNOW I would NOT be a good snowboarder. Either way, an acquaintance of mine (and not a friend because he can't talk about much besides sports and outdoorsman stuff) is a very good skier, took a mogul wrong, and then required knee surgery, so I figured I'd give it up right around the same time.

6. I snowboard. I've never tried skiing.

7. bitchyetough

I skii (Alpes/Pyrinees) but cant be asked to go check my gear lol
    Skiing isn't a homophobic sport, it's just the simpleton mindset some individuals have; you're just unlucky enough to have come accross them.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm now cluing in to the probe as to whether the sport is homophobic. In the U.S., I would give you 2 answers. I think the professional skiing world might be homophobic, as famous skiers are often womanizers who party with the A-list crowd. As for the sport's participants, this is far from the case. Many GLB urban professionals whose sexual preference is not discernible ski, as they often have the means, it's considered fairly sophisticated, it's not a team sport, and it can be done in conjunction with a vacation to someplace very nice. You just won't see them doing the pick up thing at the apres-ski scene in a straight bistro or bar. But you never know. I've heard so-call straight businessmen connect for trysts while having a drink at a business hotel's bar in the evenings.

As for me, it's the blue runs. Black runs almost seem vertical and require that I go too slow, and are thus not much fun.

9. Harve

HEY. I love, no, adore skiing but I've somehow not got any planned for this winter and starting to seriously regret it! Especially since skiing with uni is pretty much the only way to make it vaguely affordable. I'll find a way. For sure. Apart from starting in Austria, it's mainly in France I've been to (Val d'Isère/Tignes, Alpe d'Huez + surrounding areas, Val Thorens + the rest of the Three Valleys, Morzine/Avoriaz) and I've still not tried the Scottish and English centres yet. I'm terrible, so if anyone's tried both France and the UK then share your comparisons! Likewise with the USA/Canada vs. the Alps.

I'd love to try some X Country too.

#9 Harve, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  10. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I lived in Michigan, I used to love to go cross-country skiing in the wilderness. Very peaceful, and the woods are so different in the winter. I was never too big on downhill; too many popular, rich kids from school would be there showing off, and it was bad enough seeing them during the week, that on weekends, downhill had no real appeal. I'd love to do cross country again, though we don't get much snow here, so that makes it hard!

11. timo

Oh man I love skiing! Used to go to Austria every year with my parents until I moved out (at 19) cause yes skiing is amazing. Didn't go for a few years after that (couldn't get a week off/no money/you probably know it). BUT! I did accompany them in February this year. First time in four years I was on a pair of skis but it felt like I'd done it a week before. You'll never forget how to ski.

Unfortunately I'm not going next year. Graduation seems more important :lol:

12. method

I recently got into snowboarding. Just picked myself up a second hand K2 board to practice with, and full kit of snow gear (no more lame rentals that cost a fortune). I'm gonna practice over summer at an indoor slope we have here ready for next season to really tear it up on the mountain!

First two times on the slopes were in Hokkaido and Jasper. Couldn't afford lessons at the time as a poor student, so winged it off youtube videos. Finally made a breakthrough the last ski season here in NZ and finally figured out how to link turns on both edges. And that was the start of the end :grin: