1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I should be more discreet?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by byronea, Sep 5, 2013.

1. byronea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I was talking to my aunt last night, and she told me that her best friend (who I was actually intimate with once several years back while drunk) told her that I should be more like her (the best friends) brother, and should be more quiet and discreet about my sexual orientation.

I was ticked off. Yeah I realize that she is older and from another generation, but still! As many gay relatives as she has, and considering she has experimented with other women, I feel she was totally out of line. And of course WAY WRONG! Why should we have to hide who we are when straight people get to hold hands, kiss, and talk about being straight all they want in public?

Anyone else been told this?

2. Holly

I got that sense from my mum when I came out to her. But I think that was more towards the extended family rather than society in general. I don't think she wants to make it some big announcement with the aunts/uncles/cousins etc. Which I wasn't planning on doing anyway.

But considering I just told her I'm ordering a pride bracelet of Amazon, she was totally fine about it. So yeah, maybe things have changed.

Ultimately, we see may straight couples openly show their sexual orientation, it's just seen as normal so no-one bats and eyelid. As you said. Why should we hide who we are? We have the same right to show our love like any other couple.

3. Hrantou

I agree with the same sense. My mom said the same thing to me but when I questioned her about it, she just meant not to tell the entire family. My aunts, uncles and cousins don't really need to know, since I hardly see them to begin with and she didn't want them judging me or talking about me the few times I saw them.

That's just my perspective. It's ultimately up to you who you tell and what you do.

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

That's the main factor at play. The older generations are used to people just keeping it quiet and discreet. Surprisingly though, I have had more older LGBT people criticize me for my openness than straight people. It catches me off guard every time xD

My fiance's aunt, who has been together with her "roomate" for more than 20 years now, is still "discreet" about it. Everyone knows, no one thinks she is straight, but she just doesn't say anything about it. She won't kiss her, hug her or introduce her as her partner as long as they are in public.

You do you. You aren't doing anything wrong :slight_smile:

5. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'd say the same, there were two lesbian 16-year olds last year who had their faces disfigured in an attack by three male teens. What happened was that they were holding hands, the teens saw them and made a remark, they retorted back and found their faces smashed into the stair-railing that led to a bar. Was all over the news, and generally speaking there is very little homophobia here, and almost no actual violence in relation to it.

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As an introvert, I've been told I should act "more gay" to that usually tell them, they should act "more straight" or I just slap them and tell them to update their views on stereotypes