1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A story worth telling

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GuitarGirl1350, Feb 20, 2007.

1. GuitarGirl1350

I attend the United Church of Christ, which is a church that sanctions and welcomes gays. (Which my mom thought would be a good idea- I'm not very religious, but I've become friends with the pastor and everything, so yeah. moving on.) There's a little girl, she's four, and she's the sweetest thing ever. The other day we were getting out of church and she asked me to come color with her. There's a chalkboard in the Sunday school room so we went in there and drew on the chalkboard. She drew every member of her family. (Stick people, of course. Their genders were distinguished by hair on their heads.) She got to her nephew, Tristan, and just drew a male stick figure as his parent. I asked her who he was. (As I had to inquire about everyone or I was rude. =P ) She told me he was Tristan and the man was his dad. I asked her where the mommy was and she replied, "He doesn't need a mommy. He has two daddies!" and I asked, "really?" and she said "Yeah! He has two daddies!" her face never lost it's smile.
    The innocence of little children amazes me.

2. nisomer

you just made me smile

3. Sam

Sam

thats amazing how little kids can be now if only all the adults of the world could be like that the world would be a better place.

4. Qu_

Qu_ Guest

that reminds me of something I saw somewhat. I was watching an IKEA commercial and there was a family on it. With two dads. Saw the commercial on TV once, but never saw it again.

On a more related note, I think if people saw things more with the perception of children like this girl, the world just might be a better place. I love it.

5. tired_of_lying411

I just felt warmth in my heart... d'awww....
    Seriously, though, stories like that make me feel good.

But yeah, I find it odd that no matter how much we see gay relationships in television and movies, I, at least, rarely see a "family" situation with gay parents, two fathers seems to be especially rare on TV.

Maybe it's just me, but gay characters always seem to be the type who are compelled to not want children, for other reasons than their sexuality, sometimes. While I personally don't want kids, we have seen in another thread here that most (guys especially) of us here do want children.

I guess the media still has a little work to do when it comes to pushing for acceptance.

6. GuitarGirl1350

Why do you suppose it is that so many gay men don't want children??
    I mean, I'm a girl, but I don't want children either.
    I don't think being gay has much to do with it, maybe something but not much.

7. tired_of_lying411

wait, what?

I was saying that a LOT of gay men want kids... as we found out in a thread from a while back. My point was that either the media paints an inaccurate picture of gay men, or I haven't been watching the right shows.

:icon_bigg

8. TriBi

I think it's a bit late for me to think about kids. It was 'sort of' something I pretty much always thought would happen - but (long story) it won't now.

It's not all bad tho' - I may be past the stage where I would consider iot sensible being a father - but I have two Godchildren - which is the next best thing (or maybe even better - all the fun and none of the responsibility!)...:grin:

Oops - nearly forgot - BTW, GG350 - thx for posting something as good to read as this!

9. GuitarGirl1350

Oh!!! SORRY BRENDAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really need to stop skimming and actually read sometime x_X

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I know that problem! There's so much interesting stuff posted here now, and not enough time to read it all in full. :frowning2:

11. GuitarGirl1350

*BRENTON
    oh lord I am on a ROLL.

12. oOoSpRiNkLeSoOo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Aww, thats a nice one.

13. Jerr

on Will and Grace

i watched the Series fanaly (omg nearly cried... it was sad cuz one of my fav shows was ending... but it wasnt my fav cuz it was gay it was because it was funny... the people of the homosexual persuasion just boosted it lol)

Will and the guy he gets with (i know but if someone wants to see i wanna ruin as lil as possible) he has a kid... a baby girl actualy its sooo sweet AHH i wanna watch it again it was such a good episode... SO SAD

14. GuitarGirl1350

I find Will & Grace to be demeaning.
    Personal opinion though
    Like, more that it pokes fun at homosexuality than portraying it in a positive light. It doesn't put it in a negative light, but it's more like they don't want to touch on it. I don't know if that's the actors or not though.
    There's no real love in it, or at least not in any episodes I've seen.
    Some dating, but nothing like his relationships or anything.
    I know it's a comedy, but we have comedies that display hetero relationships.
    I just wish it was more like "Still Standing" or something where they had the couple and the humor was around them, not about the flamboyance of the participants in the relationship.
    From the way you're saying, they show more of the love and romance aspect in the later episodes?
    I don't know, I occasionally watch repeats with my friends. As they seem to all love it.

15. kevinx519

aw. i loved that story =). it makes me happy knowing that little kids thinking like this shows that future generations are a lot more understanding and tolerant. i hope this kind of thinking will finally lead some people out of ignorance.

16. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

*kidnaps the child and locks her in a room until she's 16 to save her persona from bigoted jerks*

I agree, we should clone this child so there'd be more people in the world like her.

BRENTON?? DAMNIT! I'VE BEEN CALLING HIM BRENDAN FOR LIKE A YEAR!!:eusa_doh:

SO SORRY BRENTON *carefully enounciating each letter*(*hug*)

17. tired_of_lying411

(directed at all the fuss over my name, lol)

Yay! Whoot for me, B-R-E-N-T-O-N. lol
    Don't worry about it, lol. It happens a LOT.

18. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wish children were as innocent here. Here they call you "fag" at that age, already.

19. Balint

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That made me smile, and reminded me of something that happened yesterday:
    I was telling my two little male cousins (6 and 9) about the life of Oscar Wilde, and was rather surprised that they didn't know what being gay meant. I explained, and the response was:

“Why was it illegal? That’s sillyyy!”
    (Wilde was put in prison on charges of “sodomy”)

It’s interesting to note that the children showed absolutely no indication of thinking that homosexuality was “wrong” or “bad”. Goes to show that the natural reaction to the idea of homosexuality is not negative- the negativity is later rammed down one’s throat by adult society.

It’s also pretty interesting that my nine year old cousin didn’t have a clue as to what “gay” was. Why hadn’t anyone told him before? Were they attempting to “protect him” from the so called “evils of society”?

It’s all very strange.