1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vegetarian/Vegan?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MusicIsLife, May 23, 2008.

1. MusicIsLife

So one of the lgbt stereotypes i hear a lot of is that everyone is vegetarian/vegan.

I cant say anything against this cause I am in fact Vegan, so i wanna know how many of you guys actually are, arent, and why you are[or arent!].

For me personally, i cant stand the idea of an animal suffering for my food, so i refuse to eat anything linked with the meat/egg/dairy industry. So yes.

2. PatC

I love meat. So, its bull:slight_smile:.

3. Paralyzer

I am a vegetarian.. I didn't even realize that that was a stereotype.. haha, but I guess it works XD idk......

I'm a vegetarian mainly because I don't like the process that animals go through in fast food. (Plucking chickens and then boiling them alive for the sake of mass production..) I also dislike the thought of uncooked meat and the diseases that are associated with not only that but certain meat in general.

I'm not the up-tight kind though..
    I don't care if you hunt/fish, I think that's a natural human instinct/craving or w/e and it's pretty much set in stone that that's not gonna change.
    (SAVE THE WHALES THOUGH :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)
    I don't care if you eat meat in front of me.. as long as it's not like a sloppy joe and you intend to kiss me XD
    I do eat by-products though (I try to stay away from eggs if I can but I can't avoid them sometimes.. especially if my best-friends mom is shoving them down my throat) Dairy is essential to my life basically.... and uhh.. no, by-products not stuff like gravy :frowning2: eww

4. Vampyrecat

I'm a very staunch vegetarian. It's nothing to do with how they kill the animals, I have no problems with how they kill them as long as it's human.

It's the taste and texture I don't like. I hate the sight of blood which often comes with raw red meat, and I hate the smell of fish, so I don't eat fish or seafood either.

I don't care at all if people eat meat in front of me, but I just don't like it at all when I have to eat it myself.

I eat eggs because I like them, and they're not actually meat and no animals died for it because our eggs are unfertilised, therefore they cannot become a chicken...lol.
    I eat stacks of tofu and leafy vegies and stuff to keep up my iron levels. And I know the hardcore people don't eat jelly or milk, but I like those things, I just don't like meat itself. I have a very vivid memory of my dad forcing me to try cow's tongue when I was younger and I guess that's what's kinda tipped it off.

And I know people say stuff like "You're not a real vego if you eat eggs and stuff like that" but I feel that is for vegans because vegans don't eat ANY meat products or by products.

Yay for unintentional stereotypes.. :slight_smile:

5. johnny11

I'm a vegan =)

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Nope, not a vegetarian or vegan. Me protesting wouldn't stop anything, I'm not grossly opposed to using animals as food, and the taste of meat isn't too bad for me. I'm not huge on grilled or barbecued food (which sucks, because I live in the south and that's about all you can get here), but most everything else is just fine.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a carnivore. Whenever I feel I need to lose some weight, I go vegetarian for a week, which added to exercise usually does the trick. Why vegetarian? It's just easy. I don't have to count calories or fat or what have you. But after the weight's off, I go eat a burger. :slight_smile:

Lex

8. MeskElil

I'm not vegetarian, mostly, except that I don't eat beef. at all. and my personal taste doesn't allow me to eat much meat anyway :slight_smile: but i don't turn it down just to be polite.
    can't live without milk/cheese/yogurt/any kind of dairy, though. it's just too good...but i understand vegans' stance on it.

9. Steam Giant

I believe Vegetarian/Vegan practices to be very unnatural. They deprive us of essential vitamins that have to be made up for with pills in order to ensure good health (like Vitamin B-12). Additionally, humans are born omnivores - this is evident by our teeth, primarily. Finally, carnivores/omnivores around the world kill other animals in order to satiate their hunger. How the capacity for logical thought deems this essential act of survival to be causing "suffering" is beyond me.

Although, I will admit that we can't hold ourselves to the habits of beasts. Cannibalism, for instance, is highly looked down upon by our society (and rightfully so), whereas many forms of life in the wild exhibit this behavior.

However, I personally do not consider killing a beast with the intent of consuming at least part of it for sustenance to be wrong in any light. It is the natural order of things, and is what got us to the point that we can now make the decision to refrain from eating meat.

10. eclipse

eclipse Guest

I've been a vegetarian for, oh almost two years now. It started out because I had a vegan boyfriend for a while (yeah, yeah, laugh it up...) and the moral issue grew on me. Now it isn't even about the moral issue - I just can't digest meat, and even some lactose based products as well. But it is an interesting point that you bring up the "stereotype" of gays/lesbians also being associated with vegetarians/vegans. I was actually just having this discussion with a friend of mine a week ago and put it this way:

It makes sense that vegetarians/vegans would also overlap with gays/lesbians. Politically speaking, we're (I was talking to my lesbian friend) generally already on the left end of the spectrum, promoting and hoping for greater social changes, thus a greater opportunity for such practices is more likely to occur.

Now again, I am only making a general observation in terms of politics - I know that can be quite a sticky situation, especially right now in the United States.

#10 eclipse, May 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008
  11. Tim

Tim

I'm a semi-vegetarian... hard to explain...

I don't eat lamb, pig, or cow, except on occasions when my mom buys it and it's the only thing to eat (Won't eat lamb at all though, rather go starved). I will eat turkey, chicken, and fish however, as there's PLENTY of those in the world, and after raising chickens/salmon... I've grown to hate the species :S I'd die without cheese lol, no way in hell I'd go vegan =P And can't go full vegetarian cause I love chicken/turkey/fish :3

12. KatoKumi

I'm in-between.
    6 months of the year, I'm a vegetarian, and the other six, I'm not.

I've tried to be completely vegetarian, but I end up eating it anyway; so I can't say I'm a vegetarian.
    The reason I go all veggies and fruits is because I feel it cleanses the body every other month.
    Which makes sense to me, but I've never read a study on it or anything xD.

I've yet to meet a vegetarian or vegan Filipino.
    I recall stories of my dad feeding me frogs, rabbits, and dogs, growing up. [in the Philippines].

I don't like seeing people kill animals in ways that aren't humane [ManVsWild flashback].
    But the production of meat products is something that can't be stopped.

13. Tim

Tim

Oh god, I wanted to jump in the screen and murder the guy when he bit into the live fish o.o

14. KatoKumi

Eww, I know!

And there was this one episode where he smacked a lizard against a tree three times.
    Then he pushed a knife into it's brain. I cried.

15. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a stereotype? I thought gheys liked meat? Whaaaa? :eek:

Anywayssssss, i guess you could say i'm a vegetarian seen as i don't eat meat. Though i don't eat vegetables either (except potatoes) so what am i now? :eek:

16. TriBi

Hungry?...

17. interstella

like Lex, I'm a carnivore :slight_smile:

18. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My view is that our ancestors did not spend 3 million years clawing their way to the top of the food chain, just so we can eat only vegetables.

19. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would be a vegetarian if I thought a hungry lion would do the same for me, but somehow I don't think it would, so lots of meat for me :wink:

20. Ty

Ty Guest

I turned vegetarian after I had to handle raw meat at the store I work at.. It makes me feel sick =/