1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it ever just a phase?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gibson234, Sep 6, 2013.

1. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do people become gay or Lesbian or bi for a period of time in their teens, then become straight again? Or is it just a fantasy made up by hopeful homophobic parents?

2. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Questioning is a phase, and it can lead to different outcomes for different people. Sexuality can be fluid and have "phases" too. But I don't think it should be a "derogatory" term. It's not bad to be attracted to different genders for some time, nor the attraction is less "real".

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe for prisoners ... or long-distance truckers. Even then, I sort of wonder ...

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know people who went through a phase in their teens thinking they might be gay, or wondering if they might be gay...but identify as straight. But in those cases:

* It happened in their early teens
    * It didn't last very long - maybe a month?
    * They never acted on it, other than perhaps to masturbate while thinking of a same-sex person.

Also, I've known people who thought they were gay for years..and later realized they were bisexual. Tom Robinson is perhaps the most obvious example. But I don't know of anybody who suddenly went completely straight, and no longer had any gay thoughts or desires. A person who thought they were gay and then realized they were bi could presumably "pass for straight" by only dating opposite-sex people, so one might fudge the truth a lot and say they "went straight". Perhaps some parents hope this is what will happen, but the odds aren't exactly in their favor here.

Lex

5. justjade

It can be. I thought I was a lesbian once. Then I realized that A) I'm not a woman, and B) I don't really like women all that much. I was double wrong. :lol:

6. Ohhai

Maybe...

7. Hrantou

Ehhh....I once was with a guy in high school. We would have fun and mess around, then I left school and we stopped. Years later, I caught up with him and he says that it was fun and all, but it was just for a short while and he loves his girlfriend very much and plans to marry her.

Honestly, I don't know. I think he's just in denial, or maybe it was truly just a phase. Hard to say.

8. Bryar Thorne

This makes so much sense to me.. you took the words from my mouth. bahaha :roflmao:

9. Illus1

Like someone said above it can be different for everybody. But like for me it was a 'phase' for years and then this one day I thought THIS IS NOT A PHASE,
    I think when you start needing to use the this is just a phase argument it actually isn't anymore

10. ScatteredEarth

It depends on the situation I suppose. It's possible for some things to be a phase, but most of the time it's just a transitional period.

11. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Same. Thought all lesbians wanted to be men so that was my reasoning. Still into women but dear lord, I've noticed men. :wink:

12. blueberrymuffin

If the kid has already come out, then it's already been settled. In the teenage years, there might be hormone issues that confuse and tempt kids to experiment, but as far as identifying as gay, I can't see this happening unless the person is sure of it. So in that sense it's not a phase.

13. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was a pre-teen in to my early teens I 'experimented' with other boys, mainly because of curiosity and other boys were more accessible than girls as boys are going to have sleep overs with other boys for example.

Of the 4 boys that I experimented with, I was the only one that is gay.

So the 'Phase' isn't based in sexuality, the 'phase' is based on experimenting with SEX rather than SEXUALITY.

14. biggayguy

For some people bisexual is the final destination. For other people; like me, bisexual is a place on the road to becoming gay. Some claim that they have gone back to being straight but I highly doubt it. BTW, my very religious mom once admitted that she was attracted to a girl in school.

#14 biggayguy, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  15. Abbra

I believe that it can "be a phase" or at least, people can misinterpret their feelings as romantic/sexual when really they are simply platonic. A lot of girls when I was in middle school convinced themselves they were bisexual only to realize that they were straight after a few months.

16. MerBear

hmm, maybe. who knows

17. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I suppose it's possible. Then again, the same thing could be said for being straight (or cis, for that matter). I'm increasingly of the opinion that sexuality is a lot more context-dependent than we give it credit for, anyways.

18. LesbianGirl

It really all depends on the individual. I think it doesn't matter how old the person it, sexuality is a complicated thing to figure out.

19. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think people can experience false attraction. It is often caused by hormones or anxiety. I've had false attraction. It is very annoying, but it goes away when I feel more relaxed. I'm starting to notice that I'm not getting as many false attractions as I'm getting older.

20. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine might be a phase. I started getting attracted to boys in middle school, and ten years later, the phase is still in action. o.0

I highly doubt it. It's either pure horniness as a preteen/teenager that mellows out with age, or any same-sex attraction is still there and ignored in favor of the dominant straight attraction.