1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What were your parents' attitudes toward sex?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Sep 6, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been thinking about my upbringing a lot, and one recurring theme throughout my childhood is that my mom always tried to teach me that sex is icky, yucky, disgusting, immoral, and not normal behavior at any age. Well considering I exist, she must have been really disgusted at some point.

My dad...he was too busy playing on the internet to have any attitude about that. I think the first time I heard him say the word "sex" was when I was 16.

Can anybody relate, or did you have the "cool" parents who actually didn't have a problem with it.

2. tryhtwfr

My mum told me that if you prayed to God then he will plant a seed into a woman's belly. When I did find out about sex she got me thinking it was very disgusting and people that did it were of very low quality and it should never be done.

3. RoguesWolfe

I had the chill parents, they weren't worried about me since I had no interest in anyone. They were worried about my sister for always liking someone and going through a lot of guys. But I did get the sex talk in waffle house around other customers with my best friend. I'll never forget that.

4. Illus1

For me it was the other way around, I thought sex was icky, yucky and immoral.
    Well my parents didn't talk about it much I learnt most outside the home, the huge surprise to me was later when my Mom was quite liberal about it.
    She even told me how that my dad sowed his wild oats before marriage.
    Although in her time and place/culture it was unacceptable for her to do so. Heck she even told me who she had a crush on LOL. I was the one shying away and ending the conv.
    Although the sad part is that she doesn't understand the LGBT; never been exposed to good examples of them and he was brought up with victorian conservative morals where it is a disgusting mental disease. (And that topic came up only once in our home)

5. Hrantou

We never talked about it. It was never brought up. As I got older I just found out about it from my friends. Since me and my sisters are all adults now, we joke about it a lot with my parents and they don't really care. I think they were the same when I was growing up.

6. Ohhai

DON'T TALK ABOUT SEX NO MATTER WHAT SITUATION EVER = my parents -.-

7. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Never talked about it, never brought it up except for warning me not to do it before marriage. Joke about it now but through middle/high school, internet had to be my sex ed.

8. iHateThinking

My mom gave me a book about sex (For my age at the time, which was 13) and told me to ask her questions if I had any. And I believe she said something about not worrying if it didn't apply to me (because she knows I like girls).

I think that says enough.

9. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well they told me to not going and getting a girl pregnant, and I said they didn't have to sorry about that (they didn't know why, then). They also said that if I ever did have sex, make sure I wore protection.

10. Stephany

My parents never talked to me about sex.....ever. I had to learn it all on my own.

I am very open about it with my children...though my 10 year old learning what anal sex is came from an open discussion on the school bus with a friend... I wasn't quite ready to be that "cool" of a parent... but we sat and discussed that too after she asked about it.

My one rule with my children, I never lie to them if they ask a question. My parents rule...never discuss anything that might make you remotely uncomfortable.

---------- Post added 6th Sep 2013 at 04:46 PM ----------

The internet was also my "sex education" which left me incredibly vulnerable. I was 14.... the internet was just becoming a "hot thing" and I gave out my phone number and address to anyone who wanted to talk to me... which included perverted old men who had wives and children... I had no idea they wanted to take advantage of me... I just thought they were nice and I liked the attention. Scary to think about now. I'm lucky to not be dead on the side of the road somewhere. Which is why parents need to talk to their kids and not just leave it to the web.

11. Squib

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My parents were great. Never lied to me about it. Told me exactly what it was and what can come of it. Then said if I ever needed to talk to them about it I can. And they told me about contraception. Then they just let me get on with it once I was old enough haha!

12. Nines

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My parents never talked about it with the exception of one of those Welcome to the World of Aids stories when I was 14. Our relationship was really more like Aunt/Uncle and niece than Mom/Dad and daughter.
    If I had asked they would have told me but I figured everything out from school, movies, and the Discovery channel by age 12.

13. ha, im really open but my mum is really closed. its an unspoken thing in my house now.

but when it did get mentioned id say the word sex perfectly fine but my mum would like whisper it as if she wasnt supposed to say it/it was something bad. im never explict but once or twice spoken about it generally and nope its not a thing were allowed to speak about.

sex is fine for everyone else, but to my mum not for me or not in this house is really the attitude lol.

14. DatChickBassist

Out Status:
    All but family
    My dad never really talked about sex ever and my mom told me it was immoral to do it before marriage when I was younger. Besides that no sex talk in my household.

15. Abbra

My parents just kind of avoided the topic. I didn't ask, and they didn't tell. I remember watching Grease all the time as a kid, and I didn't understand most of the references. I didn't even figure out what sex was until I was in the third grade.

Then my sister corrupted me and told me literally everything about sex. Ev. Ry. Thing.

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Very interesting topic.

My parents have seen a LOT in their lives. They are very philosophical about the world around them, especially my dad.

As far as sex goes, my parents weren't the type to give me a birds and the bees lesson, but they didn't freak out if I saw a bedroom scene in an R-rated movie before the right age for one. When the subject of sex came up, they were surprisingly humorous. My dad might even throw in a few zingers and my mom was just the type to listen and laugh. If my friends were over, they could tell a mildly off-color joke or discuss a sexually loaded nickname for someone, and my parents wouldn't care. For that matter, so could any of the kids in our house full of boys.

My parents could be uptight about other things, but sex apparently was not one of them.

17. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sex was a topic that was not generally discussed in our household. Apart from the thrilling lecture of where babies come from, which initially disgusted me, there was almost zero direct talk. My mother, I think, was uncomfortable, probably partly because of the family she came out of. At most, she'd mention things in a round about/euphemistic way. Although she did use the word "masturbation" once towards the end of her life, and I was quite surprised. (It was in reference to something some great writer wrote. Perhaps she was fresh out of euphemisms that day. Perhaps she was loosening up as her life drew to a close. Who knows?)

I suspect my father is more accepting, but we never had any sort of direct talk that I can recall.

18. BooksJeansTea

Sex was absolutely off the table for discussion. It was evil and if I ever had sex I would go to hell. I learned from friends at school instead.

19. Pocky

Non existent. Quite literally.

They themselves were never really romantic toward each other and just never brought up the topic, in an educational way or otherwise. It was just ignored, not for any reason in particular.

Even now, having come out to them and being 23, there's no talk about it between us. Considering the history I just don't think I could ever be at a point to discuss sex with them comfortably anyway.

A question for Memphis and Hrantou:

What were the kind of things you first brought up to now become comfortable discuss sex with your folks? I won't lie, I am a little envious and just curious how the change from 'no sex talk' to 'sex talk' progressed.

20. Data

Data Guest

My dad never talks about it. Ever.

My mom is all too open about anything like this. She texted me the other day and said "Damn it, I want to swim in the river but I got my period! I'm pissed." I'm always like :confused: when she talks openly. Myself, I usually don't talk about it.