1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If someone says "thats so gay" is it bad?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by grizzleybear33, Sep 6, 2013.

1. grizzleybear33

So some of my friends say stuff like "that's so gay" or jokingly telling another one of my friends "I bet you like to suck dick huh?". Or they will call each other faggot or queer. They don't know I am gay and when they say this stuff I kinda like just think to myself and wonder if they mean anything by that. I know that lots of people use it subconsciously and don't mean anything by it but I can't tell. Some of them says they aren't against gay marriage (whatever that means) but it seems like they are degrading gays by saying some of this stuff. Before I come out I want to know that I won't get outcasted because deep down they really don't accept gays. I am a freshmen in college and I know I can always find a new group of friends but I like hanging out with them. Advice please. Thanks.

2. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Happens to me... like a fucking lot... One day I will tell them how stupid they sound.

3. Saint Otaku

It's just ignorance usually, not always hatred. Just really irritating ignorance... *sigh for humanity*

4. SouthernPangun

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I know a lot of people use it just for the heck of it like they can't take a second to think of something else to say instead of that. It's not that they're against gays or anything [most of them would use the claim "I have a gay friend" when something is said about it]. Then there are some who use it as an insult as if they believe that being gay is an insult or something which they actually might think that I don't really know.

But overall most of the time they don't mean anything by it and are just as Saint Otaku said ignorance.

5. Generally, it is a bad thing to say; in fact, there have been campaigns about how inappropriate it is:
    That's so gay- Hilary Duff and Wanda Sykes - YouTube

The fact that your friends say it means they are not conscious or sensitive to social issues. It does not mean that they will outcast you, but it could. If you tell them out inappropriate it is, they may react in a way such as "Oh, I'm sorry--I didn't know." But that's the best case scenario.

6. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually said this the other night for the first time in years. q_q It was an accident.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's the tip of the iceberg of unconscious thought. They have insecurities and fear of effeminacy and sexuality. They aren't harmless comments. They show a real problem in their minds, and this is often a show of deep-set homophobic attitudes.

8. SouthernPangun

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I believe there are actually a lot of people who are not sensitive to social issues such as using things like "that's so gay" and other such comments. They've probably heard other people use it a lot and it's become a habit of their's to use it or they've been told it's alright to use it/no one's ever told them it wasn't alright or not enough people have told them.

There's no guarantee [are phospholipase said] that they'll outcast you once you come out to them. However, I might suggest dropping some hints or something around a bit to get an idea of how they might react when you come out.

I'm probably going to be wrong about this since I usually am, but I don't think it necessarily means they've got deep-set homophobic attitudes. I know a number of people who've used things remarks and words that are offensive to people in our community, but it wasn't because they were subconsciously homophobic or anything. They just seriously didn't know any better because enough people hadn't stood up to them and said "hey that's not a nice thing to say stop it" or something.

9. Ohhai

They normally tend to be just harmless comments. That's why I personally don't get bothered when people say stuff like that.

10. twink182

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's kind of like a "two for one" insult; they're insulting gay people by associating them with whatever stupid behaviour they are referring to and insulting the person committing the stupid behaviour. I don't like it. I think it should be discouraged.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes it is bad. I'll admit I might occasionally say something is gay, but we need to dissociate gayness from negativity.

12. IzCassie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    If anybody says it, just throw glitter in their face! :3

I, for one, think it's ridiculous. A lot of slang is very stupid and unnecessary.

13. sammy1

Yah exactly my friend says that all the time and its annoying because it is always said in a negative context

---------- Post added 6th Sep 2013 at 11:00 PM ----------

And it's also immature to say that's so gay in my opinion

14. Ohhai

I like to insult my gay friends by saying 'You're so straight'.

---------- Post added 7th Sep 2013 at 08:18 AM ----------

Joking, like. Not really to offend them. Just because I'm really mature and that.

15. prism

Words only have the power you give them. Unless that person is using that word to intentionally hurt someone, I tend not to make a big deal out of it. In the end, they are the ones that come off as ignorant.

16. Jameson

I think that when someone says "That's so gay" it is a little offensive, because when someone says that it's basically asserting that "Stupid" or "Lame" = "Homosexual" (because that's what "gay" has come to mean today, as no one has used the term synonymously with happy/flamboyant in nearly half a century).

However, I don't think people who say this phrase are deeply homophobic or anti-gay. I just think they're ignorant and kind of dumb. Although, people who say "That's so gay" might not be the best people to come out to.

Also, out of curiosity, where did "That's so gay," even come from? Where and when and why did it even emerge???

17. Bowtiesandstuff

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My sister knows very well that I'm gay and she says 'that's so gay' about 10 times an hour. She means no harm.

18. JPC

JPC Guest

No, I don't really think it's necessarily a 'bad' thing per se, nor is it good. I think it's just become one of those things that people say now, 99.9% of the time there's no malice intended by it. It's just sort of an ingrained idiom that really shouldn't be interpreted as an attack on gays.

19. Pocky

It's true that while most of the time there is no actual homophobic intent behind it, the language is still implicit in maintaining the heterosexist paradigm.

It's a societal thing. You equate the word 'gay' with 'bad' and it continues the notion that homosexuals are somehow inferior.

But, people just being people, it's not like I'm going to lecture every single person I hear using that term.

20. RisingSun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Doesn't that notion disappear when there is no homophobic intent? Most people don't see the connection between gay and bad, except LGBT people. Actually, it's only after I came to this side that I became sensitive to the use of the word gay. I think that if people continue to use it in a non-homophobic way, everyone will forget about the 'hidden meaning' (which isn't even there most the time)