1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Showing gay pride

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dustin Broke, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Dustin Broke

Dustin Broke Guest

I was wondering about this but is what my mom saying that it's not wise to put a gay pride bumper sticker on my car true? I always thought that today in 2013 people are more excepting and won't do anything bad to you just because you have a gay pride sticker or have things like gay pride bracelets. I seem a lot of gay people have there rainbow stickers on there car so I thought it was ok. Mine just has the word Gay Pride and rainbow color on it. My mom thinks I could get hurt from showing my gay pride but I think she is talking about the old days when gay wasn't accepting at all. But my days is different and maybe she just doesn't know?

2. Saint Otaku

Although one could be targeted for advertising almost any idea, it largely depends on your location, and I have no idea how your area is.

I've been thinking of crocheting a rainbow something, like a bracelet or scarf. (as if males crocheting wasn't "gay" enough ^_^) Still need to come out first though.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on where you live I guess. If your area is known for good ole' boys, I'd not put it up, especially if people are attacked/have their cars keyed, or anything else.

But that fear is probably very unlikely despite how severe the effects of it actually happening are. We are not all the way to enlightenment, but significantly closer with every passing year. I'd say go ahead and do it; even people who hate gays probably won't care enough to do so much as peel it off.

4. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well of course people are generally more accepting in 2013 than they were in 1953, but there still is a lot of homophobia out there, and a lot of homophobic degenerate thugs out there who would violently assault LGBTQ people. So don't let your guard down and think everyone is accepting now.

Even here in NYC, there have been a lot of homophobic hate crimes over the past year. And New York is overall much more liberal and gay-friendly than Nebraska.

So be careful.

With that said, I don't think you should live your life in fear, and not be proud of who you are. I've never been to Omaha, you know it best, so you need to judge whether people in your own area would react positively or negatively (or just not care at all) to you having a gay pride sticker on your car.

My mother often gets me worried and anxious when I leave the house, because of the way I dress, as she says I will attract attention and could be attacked. So it seems to be a common sentiment among parents of LGBTQ people.

Part of it may be well-intentioned, not wanting you to get hurt, though in the case of my mother at least, I think another part of it is just an excuse because she is embarrassed of people knowing her son is gay.

So just weigh the risks, be careful, but be proud too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

5. twink182

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this gentleman has hit the nail on the head. It really depends on where you are, but I suspect you would be fine today, even in Nebraska. I also think that most parents views about the risks of this sort of thing were formed at a time when it REALLY WAS dangerous to advertise the fact that you were gay (though I had a teacher in 1980 who had a rainbow sticker in the back window of her car). Thankfully, times have changed. Finally, while it may not apply in your case, I think most here would not be at all surprised if a parent used the "gay bashing risk" as a cover for their own embarrassment.

6. Dustin Broke

Dustin Broke Guest

Well I know my mom isn't embarrassed about me being gay she does totally accept it but she said that you could get beat up depending on the person and also she says that me saying I' am gay so easily to people is bad also. I like to advert a lot since I' am proud I' am gay but she did really point out about my car saying Gay Pride and I could get in some forum of trouble in the long run. But I can only think she thinks that since she is 56 years old and back her days was not safe. But even her boyfriend that is 53 or so says I have to be careful and it's not safe even today. But how do they know how people my age or younger are like? I mean they generation and mine is soo different. I know today is a lot better and most do accept or don't care about if someone is gay.

But I guess you guys would know better probley about the world today in 2013 but I just wanted to ask if I should take the sticker off and also not wear any rainbow bracelets or ear rings etc. But all I know is I seen a lot of people do have these things but it could be that it's because they are just taking the chance of getting hurt. I find it hard to believe today most people would hate or most would get worried and maybe call the police because of a gay guy and think they would do someone bad to there son.

But I maybe totally wrong and thinking everything too good when even in 2013 is better.

7. Ohhai

It's up to you. If I had a car, I would. BUt then again, my area is 'safe' ish. In my area, only gay people know that rainbows = LGBT. Everyone else would just think I liked rainbows or something stupid. :lol: Do what you feel is best xx

8. Dustin Broke

Dustin Broke Guest

Well my car not only have rainbow it has the word Gay Pride on it. It's a med sized sticker and has rainbow color and has the word Gay Pride in black bold text. So anyone who is behind me would know it's gay pride. I found this sticker on Ebay or maybe Amazon.com I thought it was a great sticker. But I only have one sticker on the back so not like two or three.

---------- Post added 8th Sep 2013 at 05:36 AM ----------

Maybe I can also ask this. Does most gay people put a gay pride sticker on there car and or do they have a rainbow bracelet or ring, etc?

9. LinkLarkin

My take on this is that homophobic people are probably more likely to attack anonymously. If they see you displaying pride, you might get an uncomfortable stare but, as long as you live in a nice and progressive area and take sensible safety precautions such as sticking with friends at night etc., they are unlikely to do anything much more. However, if they see an abandoned car displaying pride, it would be easier for them to scratch it or break a window and actually get away with it. It depends on whether you think homophobia is still a potent problem in your area.

10. Dustin Broke

Dustin Broke Guest

Ya the problem is that I don't know if it is in my area. All I know is that some areas are probley safer than others but since if I' am driving I can go to places around town fast and easy and maybe not know if the area is safe. Omaha isn't a big city like Chicago or so but it's not a very small town eather. But maybe smaller towns are more acceptable I don't know though. I know Omaha has a gay pride thing once a year in downtown but that doesn't mean that it's safe. I just don't know if people will hurt me or not but so far for around 3 years I had no problems. Also before that I just had a simple rainbow sticker but just recently I put a Gay Pride one but maybe that was a bad idea. But so far nothing has happened while driving or parking somewhere like no one damaged my car or anything. All I know is that my mom keep saying that it's not wise to do this and advertise your pride and even her boyfriend said so but they are a lot older and there time is different than now. But I can say that Doug did say that there are still a lot of people who don't like gay people now I don't know if that's today for real or it was the past.

I just want to know if most gay people show there pride or do they just not put anything on there car. Or most don't even put a gay pride bracelet or so.

11. LinkLarkin

I don't wear a bracelet but only because I'm not fully out - when I am out I'll probably order one, and, from experience, a lot of EC members do wear them. I don't think I would feel comfortable advertising it on a car though, just my personal preference, because as I said it takes less nerve to attack a CSR than it does to attack a person. As for homophobia, there's much less of it than in previous generations, but it most certainly does still exist. Just look at Russia. I can't speak for Obama specifically, but there are parts of America where it isn't much better.

12. srslywtf

It could happen. it probably won't but it could. Mums just worry about very unlikely things occurring because they're mums.

13. blueberrymuffin

If nothing has happened, why stop now? Some won't approve but i highly doubt you'd get attacked or anything. Pretty much every town has been exposed to this kind of rainbow sticker by now. It's just something they might disapprove of but have to live with, like anything else. Just take basic safety precautions.

14. AKTodd

To answer your question re displays - I have an HRC sticker on the back of my car. It means something for those in the know, but is probably meaningless to those who aren't. In a similar fashion, a lot of LGBT people here (I live in a fairly conservative area) who want to have a pride sticker on their car will do something more subtle. Various websites will sell rainbow themed stickers of various sorts, most with no words and many that are subtle enough that the people you are concerned about probably won't notice or understand what it means.

Do a google on gay pride stickers and you can find all sorts of designs. You could find one that will let you balance wanting to show your pride with concerns about negative reactions from homophobes and such.

Hope this helps,

Todd

15. Dustin Broke

Dustin Broke Guest

So I guess maybe having the word Gay Pride was too much on the rainbow sticker? Do you think I should take it off and put a normal rainbow colored one instead? I just assume that I was fine where I live and just trust nothing would happen but so far nothing has happened but I maybe should of not got one that had the word gay pride but since they sell those I thought it means it's safe to use that kind of sticker. But do you guys think I will be fine for sure having the current sticker? Are there guys here that are out and that has a sticker that has the word gay pride and rainbow on it? It's a rectangle shaped sticker btw.