1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hate being pitied?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MoyashiAlice, Sep 8, 2013.

1. MoyashiAlice

Recently I discovered that I hate being pitied. I think it is because of the fact that after people find out things about me (that I had depression, social anxiety, have a severe learning disability in math, recently lost my job, etc) they lose sight of who I am and only want to help me with my shortcomings. :dry:

I hate being pitied so much that if a friend is like "Loving life right now, university is awesome" and all, I don't want to talk to them in case they ask "How are you doing?" Because if they knew I would for sure be pitied.

Anyone else hate being pitied by other people, especially their friends or people who love their life at the same moment yours kinda sucks?

2. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, you're not alone. You just wear your fake smile and say "Yea, awesome too here, we should meet sometime :slight_smile: " and never see them again. If you don't like being pittied don't share your personal problems with random happy people.

3. Ohhai

Being pitied is awful.

4. MoyashiAlice

@Carpe Noctem
    Yeah, I don't tend to share my problems with anyone but people online (as it isn't so personal I guess...). However, the odd time that I do share a issue with my teacher (for academic reasons) or a friend they seem to pity me. :/

@both
    So glad to hear I'm not the only one. :slight_smile:

5. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate it and I've been pitied a lot in the past due to a serious car accident and losses of family members. I don't pity anyone now, and I don't do it on purpose. I just don't feel any pity. That doesn't mean that I'm a bad person, though. I like the idea of solidarity and I'm there if someone needs help. I just... don't know, I feel and act as equal to them.
    For me, pity is something between compassion and disgust. I can show compassion but not pity. Don't ask me how, if you feel it, you just do it. Nobody has ever tell me not to pity them.

6. Hexagon

Yeah, I hate it. It seems to be the death of respect, or anyone thinking you competent.

7. MoyashiAlice

@everyone

I completely agree with everyone. When someone pities you, it is almost as if they are saying with their eyes "You poor, helpless, useless fool. I'll try to make your unfortunate life a bit better." Pity is almost like them thinking you'll never amount to anything.

8. Saint Otaku

I can't think of when I was pitied, I'm the type to bottle up everything and silently brood. It really irritates me when people pity others though, as if they think pity helps anyone.

9. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pity is like "You're helpless and don't worth as much as me but you didn't choose it, poor you. you need me because you can't achieve anything"
    Compassion is like "you're worthy and, if you want my help, i'll offer it because i believe in you and what you can be, and i believe we're equal".
    I really can't describe it well, especially in english.
    I agree with you totally.

10. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah. Certainly don't mind a little insight or as Anatasia put it, some compassion.

But man. Pity. Get that shit all the time when I mention I'm transgender online. It's the worst. There's a difference between (again, as Anatasia put it), emphasizing with someone's issues and turning the conversation into a pity party about the issue. You cease being a person and just become "poor pathetic transgender I must pity".

-_-

-
    Edited for preferred name :slight_smile:

#10 drwinchester, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013
  11. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Call me Anastasia please, I'm going to put it in my signature xD

#11 Dryad, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013
  12. pikachulovable

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Dont mind it at all actually. I dont hide my emotions from anyone, nor do I lie about them. I think thats bullshit; pity me Idgaf.

13. blueberrymuffin

They can also misconstrue your intentions, like talking about your problems to raise awareness, but they think you do it just to gain pity. It's why i don't talk about life before college, hardly ever, but i this is common for anyone who has suffered. The terminally ill for example often try to hide it because people will act differently.

14. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I absolutely hate being pitied. I don't tell very many people about my past because I worry that they'll see me differently and want to treat me differently as well. I wouldn't care if I only had a short amount of time to live; I do not want pity! I want to be treated like I've always been treated. :slight_smile: I know people like to show empathy, and that's fine. But don't overdo it and treat me like I'm some fragile bag of glass. ._.

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pity is degrading, devaluing, and judgmental. It's basically saying "Oh, you poor thing", which sets the pity-er on a pedestal above the pity-ee. Brené Brown talks about how in the South, people say (often in response to hearing of something unfortunate that happened to someone) "Oh, bless your heart"... which essentially means "Oh, I'm so glad that happened to you and not to me."

She's (jokingly) proposed a T-shirt that says "Bless my heart, I punch your face."

I think if people really understood what pitying someone was... they'd realize just how terrible it is.

16. biggayguy

I talked to a priest today. He was trying to sound compassionate but it came off as pity. The priest: "You have an especially heavy cross to bear being gay and disabled. You should offer your suffering to God." I'm thinking; "Here, God. You can have my suffering. I don't want it any more."

17. ScatteredEarth

Ugh I hate when people pity me. It's degrading.. It's almost as if they look down on you from their pedestal of money and happiness.

EDIT: That's not to say I don't abuse that sometimes :3 I've been known to work things off of people's pity sometimes lol

18. RoguesWolfe

Yup, I find it to be very annoying.

19. Hrantou

I've noticed (at least to me) that its the people who have everything going for them who pity you, but when life falls apart for them, they want nothing more than to have people feel sorry for them.

My friend who is a relationship tells me things like, "Oh you'll find someone as great as my boyfriend one day!" or things like "I'm so sorry for you, but one day things will get better. I mean they did for me! Its not impossible for you."

Look sweetie, my life is fine. I hate when people pity me like I need them to feel sorry for me. People have been doing that to me all throughout my life, and I just got tired of it. You want to pity me? Make sure you're perfect, and stay that way.

20. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

I think empathy is much more constructive than pity. I'd like people to try to look at things from my perspective and to take my background into consideration in their interactions with me - but I agree with all of you that pity is just annoying.