1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Public Displays of Affection?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by InLove, Sep 8, 2013.

1. InLove

I don't know if this has been asked before, but I was curious how comfortable people are about PDAs. Little ones, big ones. What are peoples' reactions like where you live?

I find it a bit odd that I'm not out to people I know, but I have no problem with holding hands with my girlfriend, little kisses, just closeness in general, nothing "get a roooom" like. I guess part of it comes from us being long distance and being used to making the most of the time we have together, it just doesn't bother me and I was wondering about other people.

I'm not sure what I expected reactions to be, but the most negative reaction I've seen is people looking away sharply and pointedly staring in the other direction. More often people either don't react at all, or even occasionally smile in an "aww, isn't that sweet" way. After going to tearooms, car-boot sales (um, is that jumble sales in the US?), or other places together around where she lives, my girlfriend has been asked about me on following visits without me, "How's your partner, did you leave her at home today?" which we both find amusing and I find a little reassuring.

What is it like to live where you live?

2. Ohhai

I don't mind a little bit. BUt I live in a dodgy area where people will full on like finger someone in public :eusa_sick: . That's gross. Have a bit of decency. BUt a kiss or something is fine.

3. Beware Of You

I give my boyfriend a peck in public and a hug but that is it.

4. InLove

Aah.... ick!! :dry:

5. Diego89

I don't like PDAs at all. I'm not out but even when I do come out I think it will be the same. I just don't feel comfortable. I do realize this could be a problem with a potential future boyfriend and I may be willing to make a few exceptions (if in the right place and time) but you won't see me kissing a guy in public. I know this is sad and probably has to do with my insecurities but that's me. Now, in the bedroom he better hold on! Lol.

6. leer

I do show it but i am aware being in public so its the odd squeeze of his bum or somewhere
    else if its not visible .

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This has been covered before in several threads. It's a continuous debate, however, I am a bit militant in that regard, as I consider a normal, but brief, kiss with a boyfriend to be OK in public. I acknowledge that I live in a relatively gay-friendly city, but there are still parts of it where I would hesitate somewhat.

8. Holly

I think generally, hand holding, hugging and pecks, I'm fine with. Any snogging, just puts me off to be honest.

9. justjade

I like to kiss and hold hand with my husband in public. That's about as far as we go. Since I still look pretty female, no one even bats an eye, but there was one time I had my chest compressed and was really guying it up, and as my husband and I were walking holding hands, this old guy walking in the opposite direction toward us gave kind of a shocked look and then looked away and down. I was actually pretty happy about it. May be the closest I come to passing for a long time.

10. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to have quite an aversion to PDA, but I decided that there was nothing really wrong with it, so I worked on it for a little while (exposure therapy style) and now I'm more or less fine. In fact, I enjoy holding hands, cuddling, kissing and hugging in public as much as I do in private.

11. Rolando4

I get kind of self-conscious, but that's slowly changing. My boyfriend and I will hold hands in public or kiss, but sometimes he gets really into the kiss and I feel like it's too much PDA :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. A peck is fine though!

12. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Doesn't matter to me if you're a Gay or Striaght couple; I think if it goes farther than kissing on the cheek/lips or holding hand and maybe hugging is rather rude; especially in the workplace.

13. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I don't mind PDA; if you don't like it, don't look at it.

This prudery about normal human social interactions is so tired and played-out at this point.

Now of course personally I would prefer all PDA to be two hot young guys making out in public; since that is rarely the sort of people who are engaging in PDA, I merely find something else to look at it, or keep walking 'til I am away from them. Nobody is forcing you to look at them.

14. FloatingPiano

I'm generally okay with seeing PDA such as hugging, small kisses, holding hands; stuff like that. I get a bit uncomfortable when I see people tonguing each other in public, however.

I do believe that one day, most PDA will become more socially acceptable.

15. Anoncymoose

Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel sorry for anyone into PDA if they went out with me, I don't think I could handle it. I'd tell them to bottle it and wait for later. However if I'm making out with a girl I don't care who sees. It's kind of sad I don't feel the same way about guys, it's less that I'm concerned I'll offend someone (fuck them, right?) and more to do with the fact I wouldn't want to feel like some kind of novelty show for any gay-best-frienders.

16. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This.

17. BenW

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I figure there is a time and place for everything. I'm weary of it myself but I'm not in a safe area of the country to do so, if I were in a relationship. But I'm leaving the area in a few weeks. Good riddance! I'll come back to visit family and a few friends maybe but that's it.

18. iHateThinking

There's a big difference between holding hands/cuddling/hugging/pecks and blatantly making out and looking like you're about ready to rip one another's clothes off in sexual angst. To me, the former is okay, the latter is not.

I really don't care about the orientation/genders of the couple, if they're hugging and cuddling and whatnot that's cute and adorable and "aww". I just don't like to see people forcibly making out in public; it just makes you look like a jerk who does not care about anyone else. There's a time and place for that, and it's not out in the open where everyone else can see. Even if you're into voyeurism or whatever.

19. InLove

Hear, hear!

20. Hexagon

I'm fine with PDAs. People can do whatever they want.