1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can you defend yourself?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by swifter, Sep 8, 2013.

1. swifter

swifter Guest

I was watching the s04e02 of queer as folk and LGBT bashing was one of the issues, when the moment of you being bashed comes, and there is no one around or nobody seems to care that you are being bashed, because of your sexual orientation or gender identity, would you be ready to fight back on your own? so lets put it like this (this could happen from what i have witnessed, read and heard):

- 4 unarmed guys are bashing a gay, bi, or trans biologic male
    - 4 unarmed girls are bashing a lesbian, bi or trans biologic female

in these scenarios, would you be able to defend yourself? or have you been able to successfully fight back and won? and do you want to share your experience?

i know when i was a 12 year-old kid i was called queer quite a lot and at some point i got to be bashed by 6 kids from the soccer team, but i fought back and barely succeeded i was crying a lot after the fight, but nobody ever messed with me again, although i still can't forget that i broke one of my crush's index fingers, because he called me f*gg*t. i was a pretty violent kid :3

2. RoguesWolfe

I probably couldn't hold my own by I would damn try. Only bad thing is when I feel pain like horrible pain one it doesn't last long it kinda goes numb and I black out...so who knows maybe I could.

3. MrBrightside

I have done a few times, not with multiple guys but with guys alot bigger than me, i just get angry and refuse to back down :grin:

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Knowing how much anger I have bottled up, I could probably hold my own and go ape shit on them. But that's my overly hyper-masculine brute side talking, so what do I now. Heck, I'd probably be a little pansy and not do jack shit.

5. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I personally would not be able to defend myself, I am NOT above making some cheap shots in desperation though... I've heard that a knee to the balls can be as painful as giving birth from scientific studies. :wink:

6. justjade

I know how to gouge someone's eyes out with my fingers. That doesn't mean I could actually do it if I had to.

7. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Against 4? Probably not. But then again being 6ft 300lbs and masculine I don't get messed with very often.

8. Gen

Gen

I have the body of an 8th grader so I'm not fist-fighting anything. Trying to break each others faces is a waste of energy and unnecessary bruising, in my opinion. (Though don't take that to mean I believe I am defense-less. I'm actually quite crazy and will sooner throw a knife then a punch. ^_^)

Though vocally fighting back is a different story. When I encounter homophobia, or criticism as a non-masculine male, directed at me I usually just find it humorous that people make such a pointless effort. Pardon my language, but, when it comes to what others may think of me, I literally have no fucks to give.

However, when it is directed at others I am known to be quite ruthless with my retorts. I know what it feels like to care. I remember how it feels to hear the negative things that others think of you and breakdown under it all, so I refuse to witness that silently.

9. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've practiced using my cane for self-defence. I could probably do enough damage to distract them for long enough to run as best I can.

10. Ridiculous

I think I would be able to defend myself reasonably well against one person.
    Two people, perhaps, depending on their ability.
    Three or more I probably wouldn't fare very well.

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm over six feet tall and over 200 pounds, so even though I'm not much of a fighter, people tend to give me wide berth and look for easier targets. But if it came down to it, and things became physical, yes, I could at least attempt to hold my own. I know how to turn my car keys into a passable weapon, and to aim for the eyes, throat and balls. I'd work mainly on incapacitating them so I could escape, but I wouldn't hold back for fear of hurting them, either.

Lex

12. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm small, passive, and solitary, so getting into physical fights, let alone winning them, is far from being a priority or even reasonable goal for me. My best weapon is my brain; I'm far from being a genius, but I'm definitely an opportunist, and will use my surroundings to full advantage, whether it means fighting dirty, calling for help, or finding a quick escape.

The best defense is to know your environment, carry yourself with confidence, and stay as neutral as possible. There are no guarantees, but you can definitely minimize your risks if you keep your wits about.

It helps that I'm so vigilant and refuse to make the same mistakes twice.

13. Ohhai

Probably not. One person - yes. 4 - hell no.

14. Robellious

I think I can defend myself if something like this happened; like said above I will also use whatever I can to hurt them. even if it ment throwing trashcans and chairs-- I have actually done that in the past. I'm more of a ranged attacker and when up close I'll try to wrestle a person to the ground. ((But it will not be useful in a 1v4 senario.)) 1V1-2 yes.
    1v3-4 Hell no; Find the best way to throw shit at them, and run as fast as possible. Hell' I'll even throw my damn backpack at them too.

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it's four on one, no amount of crazy will allow you to win unless you are Bruce Lee, or your opponents are terrible fighters.

One can definitely do some damage though. The guy getting hit with normal punches may be able to take the hits long enough to do something really cruel, maybe crippling or killing a few of his attackers and scaring off the others. I think I could do it, but it wouldn't be pretty. I'd much prefer to stay out of a fight where even if you win, you mostly lose.

16. isaacfalls

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Can I defend myself successfully? No. But I have really strong legs so I would at least try to kick the holy hell out of them before they took me down.

17. biggayguy

Against four, no. However if they got in arm's reach they would get popped good! I would fight dirty.

#17 biggayguy, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  18. Hrantou

Yes. I can defend myself. I'm not saying that to boast on myself. I just know how to fight. I've once won against 3 guys, but to fair, only one of them really fought me. The other two were just cheerleaders :dry:

Against 4? Ehhh maybe? Depends on what blunt object I can grab xD. Probably not, but I will try my hardest to cause as much damage as I can.

19. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd only fight back if I felt I was in danger of being physically harmed, and I'd only fight to the point where I could get away safely. Anything more than that's just generating more problems.

While I've never been in a situation where I've had to fight back and defend myself, I'm extremely confident that, if it were just one guy, I'd make him realize that he'd do well not to fuck with me. But four guys? Maybe. It depends on how strong they are.

20. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Since I spend most of my time in the workshop, I have tools at hand that could scare the hell out of them or I would just throw them at them or hit them with it. Although I´m shy, I´m not scared and can get very angry and am quite strong.

But like in any situation I would try talking first.

And I do care if someone gets bullied or physically attacked and do act on it.