1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could recent events lead to WWIII?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by unknown17050, Sep 9, 2013.

1. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Could the recent Syrian issues that America has lead to a third World War?

2. monotone

I think that's very unlikely.

First, I doubt there's enough congressional support to approve intervention in Syria.

Second, no great power has its core interests harmed by American intervention in Syria.

3. LinkLarkin

Personally I think Putin i.e. Hitler mk ii is more likely to start another world war. Depends whether he wants to clear the world from homosexuals enough to invade somewhere. Russia certainly has the resources.

As for Syria, I think it's presently localised enough to not worry about it. And given the nature of the conflict, I would hope that most major world leaders would take America's side.

4. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Any chance it may or may not escelate?

5. MrBrightside

Firstly its not america's problem, it has nothing to do with them. It is a civil war, with assad on one side, reportedly with majority backing, and close to winning. On the other, a random collection of warlords, kurdish rebels, the taliban, the al nusra front and the taliban. CNN told: Pakistani Taliban arrive in Syria, more to come - CNN.com

SO the choice facing the international community, is intervene and prolong the war, or let it run its natural course and end. However america has business interests in syria Israel Grants Golan Heights Oil License - Business Insider , the golan heights are syrian territory occupied by israel, israel has no right to the oil there. Clearly weakening syria will benefit dick cheney here. Theres more to this conflict than meets the eye.

6. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unlikely. Now, I do agree, the cold war might be restarting...

7. Ohhai

I don't know but it's scary :/

8. ScatteredEarth

Russia has its head too far stuck up its ass to really start anything.. As for Syrian intervention, I'm gonna take the American path by not caring what the fuck they do, as long as it ends eventually..

9. I have thought about it...the world could be pulled into a war like WW1 through alliances with this situation. BUT, I don't think that the USA will launch strikes and the civil war will probably continue. I could, however, see a Second Cold War starting with India and the USA (and their allies) vs Russia and China (and their allies). China and India are having a lot of tensions right now with both of their militaries building up and their border tensions escalating, plus, economic competition. And obviously right now, Russia and America are not getting along due to Russia's violations of human rights, among other things, that idiot Putin has put in place. And the US and China are more hostile towards each other than the media portrays. Now THIS would be more likely to lead to a war than anything in the Middle East.

10. Harve

Russia say hi. And Iran too.

11. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The world couldn't afford a world war as soon as it would be declared most first world countries would go bankrupted. Plus globalisation means that we are all connected economicly and socially. People who talk about world wars forget how much has changed since world war II. Syria is compared to conflicts in the past a small one. Russia and china need the west to buy their goods.

12. lukeluvznicki13

No that won't happen.
    It is just a civil war in one country.
    Yes other countries and relations are involved, but truly, the USA and UN are careful in what they do so I believe it is unlikely that something like a revolution in Syria could lead to a full out world war.

13. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Could it lead to WWIII? Sure, remember all it took was one Austrian guy getting assassinated to trigger WWI. Any seemingly small conflict could always be just the match that ignites the whole world in flames.

But I don't think Syria will spark WWIII. I'm hoping the US Congress rejects Obama's attack plan so we can avoid any intervention at all in that country's civil war.

14. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I thought Archduke Fredirinard was Austrian-Hungarian....

15. biggayguy

There is the potential for a wider conflict. If the oil flow for China or the United States is threatened it could escalate to a world-wide war. So far, diplomacy has kept another embargo from happening. However Syria could call for the OPEC nations to start an embargo.

16. Techno Kid

You think Obama will listen to Congress?

17. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    He's gonna have to or he'll be impeached.

18. Harve

Well yeah, but they've always been two separate nationalities, even as part of one empire. And Ferdinand was Austrian.

19. biggayguy

The President can order strikes as Commander in Chief. However, he needs popular support or he will be pressured to withdraw the country's forces. Congress can shut the money off for any operations in Syria if they have to.

20. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Not unless he has congressional approval and judicial approval he will not; if so then he is undoubtedly impeached.