1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLEASE READ - Political Discussions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Paul_UK, May 25, 2008.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

We are getting a few post reports about inappropriate and offensive comments in the various discussions about the USA elections etc.

Offensive, insulting or derogatory remarks aimed at another member or aimed generally members who have a particular view will not be tolerated. Any such posts will be deleted and may result in the thread being closed or deleted and the poster receiving a warning. We are expecting the number of these threads to increase as the campaigns and process continue, and we will be dealing with any problems firmly.

It is fine to disagree with the view another member is presenting and present your reasons and views on the issue. However any comment about the person expressing the view (such as "you must be stupid to believe that" or "well you would say that as a democrat/republican supporter") is not acceptable.

Also please look for existing threads to post in rather than starting new ones. We do not want several threads about the same thing and will close duplicates to avoid this.

Finally remember that we have members from around the world and that many of us outside the USA have very little knowledge or interest in the USA elections.

Thank you.

2. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for that Paul. I was going to talk to a moderator soon about that. It has gotten a little out of hand. But thanks for taking care of that for us. :slight_smile:

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Remember, if you do see a problem please report it using this icon [​IMG] by the post and we will deal with it as appropriate.

4. MeskElil

Thank you so much, Paul. I was getting worried...politics really are never a good thing to discuss (unless you're a politician)...too many feelings can be hurt.
    Thank you for posting this.

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I was going to bump this today anyway, as there are a couple of posts that have been bought to the moderators' attention.

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Note that this also applies to wall messages, PMs, chatroom discussions and everywhere else on EC.

As the US election process continues, and if things get more heated, it is likely that we will have to take a firmer stance on these discussions. So everyone PLEASE try to stick to the guidelines in this thread if you want to be able to continue discussing this.

Thanks.

7. Quitex

Quitex Guest

I think this should apply to any political events worldwide, since we have many people from abroad the US and some of us like to have respectful political conversations about worldwide politics, not just US :slight_smile:

8. Urman

Urman Guest

Agreed

And Agreed

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

OK, since we're in the final week of the US elections and things could get heated, I want to remind everyone of the stuff in this thread again.

So far we've done well with recent political threads needing very little moderator attention, so please keep that and we should be fine. :thumbsup:

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I bet Paul will be breathing a sigh of relief when this week is over. :grin:

11. Amy

Amy

i would like to apologize in advance for anything that may slip out about mccain's age or palin's non-vilf-ness. i do not mean any offense. if something does slip out, i am sorry if i do offend you and that i did not catch it before posting.

haha. probably.