1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel like people stare at me

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zac, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Zac

Zac

Do you ever feel like people are staring at you?
    I went and bought men's shirts (basic tees) today and I was too embarrassed to try them on because people kept staring at me :dry:

2. Pocky

I can't speak for you obviously but in my experience that feeling is anxiety taking hold.

Realistically, most people are too caught up with themselves to care about anyone else.

The best thing is to try and distract your mind so you don't get too internally involved with trying to gauge others.
    Do something like...counting how many people are wearing sunglasses or whatever you feel. It does help when you get into it.

3. Zac

Zac

4. Bolin

I think that feeling is common amongst people with social anxiety problems. I often feel like people are staring at me in public when I'm out shopping or whatever, and it sometimes sends me into a mild panic attack...and I'll have to take a few minutes to go outside and calm myself down. Whenever I'm out shopping, I just try to focus on what I'm shopping or looking for. Helps me ignore the stares, whether real or imaginary.

5. Hrantou

I only feel like that when I'm shopping. When I look at clothes I feel like everyone is looking at what I pick up and I HATE asking the retail people for help because I feel like they judge what I ask or what I wanna try on. Even when shopping for a new video game, I feel like the guys at the counter judge what I wanna play. Its a big reason why I try to only shop online.

6. lukeluvznicki13

I often feel that people are always staring at me when I'm out and about too.
    I feel awkward and I feel like I have done something o.e...
    maybe it is because I'm insecure and I keep worrying about what people think or something

But don't worry, you aren't alone

7. RoguesWolfe

Not alone on that one. I always feel like people are staring at me anywhere I go. Usually I think of completely random things to ignore the feeling.

8. lukeluvznicki13

same for me too

9. Awkward Balloon

I don't usually get this, although I once wore a Leopard Print Onzie (all in one pajama suit, not sure of spelling) around a busy shopping center for an hour. :slight_smile: I got stares from absolutely everyone, and I was even approached by a few who asked me why I looked so stupid.. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Anyway, I agree with what the above posters have said. Just try and get distracted in what you're doing.

10. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I'd chalk it up to anxiety. I've felt the same way, especially when shopping for mens' clothes. Thing to remember is, no one's going to care, especially if you're percieved to them as female. Just mind your own business, they'll mind their's. :slight_smile:

11. RoguesWolfe

0.0 I remember another thing I usually do besides random thoughts....if someone really is staring I'll do something completely stupid and usually they laugh and finally go about their business. It's like when I wear my fox tail and this old man was staring at me with a wtf face. So I started dancing and waving my tail at him....he found it to be hilarious and walked off.

12. Carpe Noctem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Happens to me too. Worst. Feeling. Ever.

13. Wells

Wells Guest

Yeeaahh... But I think a lot pf the time fuck them. It's harder with people I know though...

14. Hiems

I used to feel that way when going to the gym to work out. But as I went more often, I ended up zoning out my surroundings and staying focused on the task at hand. I'm pretty sure that is what other people at the gym do anyway, so there's no reason for me to feel self-conscious.

I apply that principle to other contexts as well. As mentioned above, if you mind your own business, then most likely other people do too.

15. Zac

Zac

It probably is anxiety, I hate going anywhere without my dogs.
    It would be wonderful to be able to buy all my clothes online but I think I'd totally stuff up the sizes

16. Tic Code

I get this way too sometimes. I'm just naturally self-conscious, but I mostly notice this if I'm out somewhere by myself or waiting for someone. I'm so bad at pretending to be doing something or acting natural, so I always feel like everyone notices. Of course, that's rarely true. Most people tend to not notice at all.

17. LesbianGirl

I constantly feel like people stare at me

18. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The more confidently you do things, the less you will think people will stare at you, and because of the confident manner you do things in, the few people who will look won't. Another thing to remember is that you're probably never going to see these people again, and if you do, neither you or they will remember it.

It's common to think that people stare at you when you have anxiety, but as others have mentioned, people really don't care much beyond themselves when it comes to something as trivial as shopping.

19. justjade

I get that feeling sometimes, too. It's especially bad when I'm in public just guying it up, and if I notice someone looking at me, I just think, "Oh, man, they're trying to figure out if I'm a guy or a girl. They're going to home straight in on my tits." I know that, in general, people don't care, but I get so paranoid when I catch someone looking.

20. blond

Yeah it happens to me most of the time.
    Like when i'm shopping or when i'm wearing something out of the norm.
    Of course where i live anything's not normal if it's not cowboy boots, camo, and big truck's.