1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resolution to come out by a certain date

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Count Duckula, Sep 11, 2013.

1. At the start of this school year, I've made a couple resolutions. The first is to just make an effort to be more social (I have some social anxiety issues which usually prevent me from venturing outside my room), and the other is to be completely out before this school year ends. I'm actually been making progress with both. I've been spending more time with friends, and I've started going to my school's LGBT club, so I'm meeting other LGBT people and mentally preparing to come out. Yay, me.

Have any of y'all made similar resolutions, and how did they go/are they going?

2. LinkLarkin

I've had similar resolutions :slight_smile:

My social anxiety improvement I didn't really put a time limit on, I just told myself I had to make a conscious effort to be more active in conversations, and it's actually not going too bad! I still have a long way to go before I could be considered "normal" (in a social sense at least) but I'm doing better than I was.

As for coming out, I'm not setting myself a resolution on being out to everybody - I think most people can probably wait until it's appropriate to tell them rather than rushing into it - but I have resolved to tell my parents by the end of January. I'm still so nervous that I don't know if I'll manage it but my fingers are crossed! :slight_smile:

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah. I'm doing the same for my coming out. I want to be out to immediate family by the beginning of October, out publicly before January. And from there, I'd like to be seeing a gender therapist sometime next year, if not earlier.

If all goes well, perhaps I'd be doing HRT in the immediate future.

4. Good luck to the both of you. Hopefully, we'll all be able to keep our resolutions.

5. chercheur

chercheur Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm, in my world, I always found, the best laid plans..

The first time I came out I had recently decided I NEVER would and basically I would live my life in quiet repression. THAT was my plan. Then all of a sudden I got a glimpse of true love and it made me want it for myself..SO bad.

So yeaah, directly after I just DID it. I was nervous and trembling and stuttering cause it is probably THE most nerve wracking experience EVAA, but as soon as I finally said the words "I'm gay" for the FIRST time, it was like aaall the clouds broke.

Sorry, I am rambling...my point? Planning sux, imho cuz the build up is the WORST part. Saying it and having it said is caake compared to the feeling of WANTING to but waiting.

6. Lewis

I did plan, but never implemented that plan. I think your time to come out needs to feel right more than anything. You need to be ready and prepared for any outcome that may come your way.

I decided to wait until I just know that it's time.

7. Tic Code

My plan is to wait it out until I start attending college next fall, and if I can muster up the courage, be completely out by the end of my freshman year of college.
    Of course, I also said I wouldn't tell anyone besides my parents until then, and a few weeks ago I just blurted it out to a friend... :dry:

8. CupidBoy

CupidBoy Guest

Come out when you're ready, you'll know when you are ready.

9. Deaderpool2

wow cupid boy i am quoting u twice in an hour lol. i agree with him. if you set a date, say like ill come out on christmas day, your more likely to get nervous and back out of it. its best to do it when you feel the moment is right, mine was after watching a series with my mum where in the final episode a boy tried to commit suicide after realizing he was gay. my mum said how sad that was that he felt he had to kill himself and asked me if i could ever imagine killing myself....... i had considered it when i was young. I never told her that part though. However hearing her talk positively about the glbt community made me decide that it would be okay to tell her. it felt like the time was right and later that night after some deep breathing i came out to her.
    before that night i had absolutely no intention of telling her, even though it was driving me crazy how insanely careful i was being not to accidentally out myself.

10. justjade

Well, despite my social anxiety, I have been more social recently, and by that I mean, I've been talking to more of my coworkers since I have no life. As far as coming out, I haven't set a date. I've never been good at keeping deadlines. :/

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't make a resolution. Just actively try to come out. When you feel that it's right, then come out to someone. Coming out is a process. You can't just bang down the closet doors and say you're out. You have to have a proper conversation with whomever you're coming out to. Good luck. :slight_smile:

12. eatsleepclimb

I might wait until I'm in college (less than 3 years) but I definitely want to be out then!
    Good luck!

13. My resolution is actually more like this: work on coming out throughout the year so that I can be fully out by the time school is over. Having a solid goal just helps me, I think. Otherwise I might just sit around waiting forever. I don't really have it planned out to where I'm scheduled to come out to friend A on this date and friend B on this date. My resolution is more to become comfortable with myself and take the opportunities to come out when they appear.