1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting an LGBT Youth Group

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DatChickBassist, Sep 11, 2013.

1. DatChickBassist

Out Status:
    All but family
    After a lot of thinking I decided I've wanted to start an LGBT youth group. The only problem is I'm not quite sure how to go about. How would I get people to join, where would we meet, what would we do, and what would we talk about? It's an idea so far but I want it to be more than that I just need someone to point be in the right direction.

2. Saint Otaku

I've been thinking the same thing, but if I ever started one in my town, I'd likely be run out as people tried to stone me with rosaries (or stones?).

Being your age, you could put up fliers about your school or campus (if you're in college) inviting LGBT youths. You could meet at many different places: simple, like a park or some host's house; cliche, like at a cafe or bookstore. It's up to you!

You could set up the meetings like a salon, very structured, or like an informal group of friends. The internet is vast; one can discuss current events, thoughts, books, all in light of LGBT. You could talk about personal issues also, but this might be more suitable for 1-on-1 meets with the more mature members of the group.

Also think of games you could play -- everyone likes games, and I would suggest "Werewolf", the most popular variant of "Mafia" as a perfect icebreaker, or better, "Honey, I Love You." Plan get togethers, go see movies, attend rallies, do what you want.

Such a group can be directed many ways, so it'll be up to the founders which direction it should take.

3. Ohhai

Could you start it off on Facebook? Then you can find out what people want, and plan it around there xx

4. ScatteredEarth

I think it would be a hard thing to do because most people who need support are so far in the closet that they have already entered a stable friendship with that talking lion. It usually boils down to alot of funding to make it look like a safe place rather than someone on facebook saying it's a safe place. Good luck to you though, if you really do go through with it, it's going to be a hard journey. :slight_smile:

5. derrik

there is strength in numbers

Maybe get several men/women to join you in starting a youth group

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed, nothing worthwhile was ever accomplished without two things: enthusiasm and associates. Even Van Gogh, the supreme loner, had his brother, Theo, to bounce off his ideas with.

7. DatChickBassist

Out Status:
    All but family
    It's going to be difficult but completely worth it if I can pull it off.

Saint Otaku I think maybe an informal group of friends would be best maybe. It would be hard to get an official group going since I'm a broke college kid.