1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSA! (and other stuff)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 2112, Sep 11, 2013.

1. 2112

After re-accepting the fact that I'm gay at the end of last year and finally coming out to my parents, sister, and a friend during the summer, I decided to join the GSA this year. I'd been waiting since school started, and had been disappointed that I hadn't heard anything about it. I expected to hear about it in the school news, like all the other clubs.

Finally, my friend (who is openly bisexual) posted on Facebook that she's the leader of the GSA this year and it starts next Wednesday! I talked to her about it and ended up coming out to her. She was surprised, but supportive, just like I expected. The last person I still need to tell is my cousin, who happens to be close friends with the guy I like.

With a week left before the first meeting, I'm trying to decide exactly what to do. I was planning on slowly coming out to the whole school, but only a couple weeks into the year I've already been reminded that not everyone is as tolerant and open minded as I'd like. Although I haven't noticed any religious homophobia, there are still immature guys calling anyone who isn't super-masculine a faggot, making gay sex jokes, etc. I'm not sure they'd be too friendly to a shy and awkward fat kid coming out of the closet...

I also don't know how to talk to my parents about it. My dad was very supportive when I told him, but he works all day so I'll need to talk to my mom about it. She seemed okay with it, but made a couple comments like "You're not making a decision for your whole life, are you?". I know she understands that it's not a choice and she has said that there's nothing wrong with it, but I still feel like she hasn't completely accepted it yet. I don't know what she'll think about the GSA.

I've never written anything this long on a forum, so I guess this is the end. :slight_smile:

2. ScatteredEarth

You gotta realize that every school has those retarded people that do nothing but try to get into any girl's pants and then calls anyone who has standards a 'fag' or 'dick lover'. There's no escaping it unless you plan on going on some sort of genocidal rampage. It's nice to see that you're slowly coming out of your shell, but rest assured that in MOST cases, those kids won't do shit about it. They'll make empty threats and piss-poor jokes, but generally if you have a decent amount of willpower and an acceptance for yourself, then it's generally hard to get taken down by those assholes.

You and I both know there's still a long way to go, and you're lucky that your school has a GSA, mine was just full of hate :/

3. leer

growing up in northern uk my school didnt have groups like GSA if am honest I wouldn't have gone because i was scared to go there was allot of homophobic views at school I even got a GF just to cover she didnt last long .

4. blueberrymuffin

Simply going to GSA isn't the same as coming out. It's supposed to be a gay-*straight* thing after all. The others aren't gonna go around telling everyone either. They can also give you pointers on how to deal with small minded assholes. You should go and don't let anyone stand in your way.

5. 2112

I know I won't just suddenly be out just by going, that's why I'm still trying to decide how (and when) to come out. And I've already decided I'm going, I just don't know how to tell my mom about it. I can imagine her reaction being something like "A gay club? What do they do?" with that awkward look of disapproval, and then something about me being too young (she actually said that..) and then the whole "what if [insert unrealistic wishful thinking here] happens and you aren't really gay?" thing...